Have You Read the Works of Khalil Gibran?

Reaction score
Ethnic group
The primordial soup
Khalil Gibran, a Lebanese Christian writer, is perhaps most famous for his book, ?gThe Prophet,?h a mystical and spiritual commentary in poetic form which talks on various subjects, such as love, marriage, death, friendship, etc...

It is a rather thin work and quite readable within an hour or two, depending on how much time you take to meditate on points it speaks of. In it one will see a blending of Christian, Bhuddist, Hindi, and Taoist thought. The fact that it is so thin and small allows one to shove it in a pocket or bag and keep wherever for a read whenever some free time is at hand.

I am not religious in the sense of the dogma or the beliefs that religions exhort us to believe in (such as a personal God) -- but Gibran`s words about human relations and how he uses metaphores with nature and social actions and thoughts, to me point to revelations of how things are naturally at the core of things.

Who here has read his works? What quotes of his impress you?

Throughout this thread I will list the ones that I find inciteful into life and human nature. Please feel free to join in and do the same if you know of him or are a fan of his works.

I will begin with:

When love beckons to you, follow him, Though his ways are hard
and steep.

And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the
sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when
he speaks to you believe in him, Though his voice may shatter
your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden.

Even as he [love] ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest
branches that quiver in the sun, So shall he descend to your
roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth. -- K. Gibran, The Prophet

Sorry this subforum is about European literature. Moved.

No problem, Maciamo. At first I was thinking of putting it here, but for some reason the "literature" word jumped out at me. I`ll be more careful about it in the future.

Well, well, well, what do you know... I have read that book, yes. Only it was so long ago, and I lost it while moving around, here in Japan, after my first shake up (the divorce). I really enjoyed that writing stye. Unfortunate, I can't recall any of it really--so long ago.

This thread has been viewed 6772 times.

Back