If you donated money to a charity...

Tokis-Phoenix

Reaction score
If you donated money to a charity, what sort of or which charity would you donate money too? What sort of charities do you admire most or support or believe are very important to out race or countries etc?

Mycernius said:
I don't usually give money to charities. Maybe the odd loose change when a charity tin is held under my nose. I give blood instead, which I think is much more benefical to people who need it.

Ah, then lets include things like blood or material things as well then in the question :cool: . Me, generally when i have too much change i put it in the next charity boxes i see when i remember (i don't think there are any bad charities really?), but when i can i seek out wildlife or environment conservation charities/trusts (sometimes anmal sanctuaries too, as they help keep the streets and feilds clean of sick, unwanted or mistreated animals, which is a good thing) i can donate to.
The only thing i am wary of is charities that actually do the things with the money you intended it for- there are some dodgey charities out there.
I would like to make larger more direct contributions though, i'm saving up money to directly help charities with their aims, like there was a wildlife conservation area near where i live that needed a large donation for a new stallion to help continueing breeding a very endanged breed of native horse/pony etc.

The last charity i gave money to i can remember was a cancer one for children. 'Cos i'm always ending up with loads of spare change, every penny helps u'know? I'm also gradually building up stuff i don't need anymore (like old clothes) to just give to general local charity shops and things.
Just curious though if there's anyone here that donates stuff/money to any particular charities or particular types of ones.

I have "adopted" two kids for World Vision, a Christian children's charity. I was proud of their response to the 2004 tsunami and donated more at that time. We also give at church and to a non-profit Christian radio station Air 1.
I like to support education and other local liberal political causes.

I no longer give any money to animal rights organizations. I have cancelled my World Wildlife Federation membership and one other related to the San Diego Zoo's conservation effort after I found out about efforts to get people from other countries to stop eating dogs.

There are two issues. One is your interest(s) as to who should get help. The other is the likelihood that money or property given will actually be used for the stated purpose versus padding the overhead - lining the pockets - of the owners/managers of the charity.

The first issue is easy - just decide which category satisfies you.

The second is more difficult, but is easier than it used to be. There are private entities that monitor charities in the US. The charities in the US must file certain reports, a 990 form, that lists several areas of interest to a donor. Firms obtain these reports and make them public, either with or without a fee. How is the money spent. How much to overhead, etc. Who directs the charity. A potential donor should make an effort to investigate if there is a question or if the donation is large.

My gripe is that getting the information is not as easy as it should be. Every charity over a certain size should be required to have the 990 forms on its website, for example.

If there is a European process for monitoring charities, that would be your source, unless BREXIT nixes that access.

Surely not Rotary and Unicef

I 'll never send or spend a penny for them

they cooparate with CIA for Pakistan Poliomelitis and then vaccinated the children in order to found Osama bin Landen via DNA.
they find him by the DNA remnants on the used syringes.

shame on them.

There are two issues. One is your interest(s) as to who should get help. The other is the likelihood that money or property given will actually be used for the stated purpose versus padding the overhead - lining the pockets - of the owners/managers of the charity.

The first issue is easy - just decide which category satisfies you.

The second is more difficult, but is easier than it used to be. There are private entities that monitor charities in the US. The charities in the US must file certain reports, a 990 form, that lists several areas of interest to a donor. Firms obtain these reports and make them public, either with or without a fee. How is the money spent. How much to overhead, etc. Who directs the charity. A potential donor should make an effort to investigate if there is a question or if the donation is large.

My gripe is that getting the information is not as easy as it should be. Every charity over a certain size should be required to have the 990 forms on its website, for example.

If there is a European process for monitoring charities, that would be your source, unless BREXIT nixes that access.
You are talking to people who left messages in 2006! I don't think they are around anymore to reply. Check dates and use Reply With Quote button.

You are talking to people who left messages in 2006! I don't think they are around anymore to reply. Check dates and use Reply With Quote button.
Yetos answered yesterday after me. I can still Reply, so can others. And, best yet, YOU saw it. Plus the topic wasn't covered sufficiently.
People are pretty ignorant about charities - I'm addressing Americans now. Perhaps same in Europe. Something calls itself a charity, people think that the majority of the money really goes to the cited object. Some overhead is inevitable, but too many have overpaid founders/managers. For example, in the aftermath of the Katrina hurricane in Louisiana, many dogs were abandoned. Charities offering help sprung up 'out of the woodwork'. If you investigated, one found that a 'no name' (very small) charity paid its founder/owner $300,000. In short, it was a scam.

Yetos answered yesterday after me. I can still Reply, so can others. And, best yet, YOU saw it. Plus the topic wasn't covered sufficiently.
People are pretty ignorant about charities - I'm addressing Americans now. Perhaps same in Europe. Something calls itself a charity, people think that the majority of the money really goes to the cited object. Some overhead is inevitable, but too many have overpaid founders/managers. For example, in the aftermath of the Katrina hurricane in Louisiana, many dogs were abandoned. Charities offering help sprung up 'out of the woodwork'. If you investigated, one found that a 'no name' (very small) charity paid its founder/owner $300,000. In short, it was a scam.
By all means be our guest and address every thread. Just don't directly address people from way ago, they won't respond. ;)

This thread has been viewed 8653 times.

Back