What is the best food in Europe?

I have to be a little bit chauvinist here, because I prefer my country's cousine. When I go abroad I miss its variety and its attention payed to preparation of the dishes.
For an Italian nothing's better than a dish of Pasta al dente!

I have to be a little bit chauvinist here, because I prefer my country's cousine. When I go abroad I miss its variety and its attention payed to preparation of the dishes.
For an Italian nothing's better than a dish of Pasta al dente!

When we go abroad we have to taste pasta horribly cooked, they cook it too much or too little.
Also my mother get crazy for espresso and starts to find a bar when they make it right for her, in restaurants she orders espresso but usually leaves it all, because she sees the dimensions and she doesn't like it:grin:

When we go abroad we have to taste pasta horribly cooked, they cook it too much or too little.
Also my mother get crazy for espresso and starts to find a bar when they make it right for her, in restaurants she orders espresso but usually leaves it all, because she sees the dimensions and she doesn't like it:grin:

Ahah and she's right! In Russia my father asked for a "ristretto"..When he saw the big cup, he tried to explain to the barman how to do it..The result was that he drained the coffe in a smaller cup....He was disgusted and we went away! :grin:

Anyhow when I'm abroad I miss so much our cousine..Our preparation (that is really an art) and our variety...Pizza alla romana scrocchiarella, thousands of kinds of pasta (always "al dente"), mozzarella fresca, risotti vari, tiramisù, nutella...All primary elements...Such an incredible variety....I become nostalgic! :grin:

Italian food is the best meal as for my taste. European food is adored by many people, because they can find the food they like.

Surprised no one mentioned Portuguese Cuisine.

Pizza is a best food in Europe.You can enjoy Pizza in all over the world but no one can match in taste with Europe.Specially ITALY is a home land for pizza.
T Shirts with Sayings

True, there is some food that we Italians can't eat abroad like pizza, pasta or gelato (ice cream). Anyhow we don't have just this, foreigners always associate Italy with these things, but we have a great variety of dishes.
The best place to eat abroad for me is France. I love potages.

Italian (risotto) and French (croissants), including a good pinot noir are my vote. Bon Apatito!

Danish cuisine (y)

Danish tradidional main dishes and desserts are simple but delicious, similar to north-german, but better. I don't like the "New danish kitchen" though.
I find myself surprised to prefer cuisine of a protestant country, because catholic regions are known to cook better.

I'd prefer German one though. At least those of the Palatinate region.

Agree, Palatinate food is the best from germany and my 2nd favourite close after danish. I also like polish food, it is fat and unhealthy just like the danish ;). Some say the czech cuisine is the most original german/austrian one, but I'm not a fan of it.

Agree, Palatinate food is the best from germany and my 2nd favourite close after danish. I also like polish food, it is fat and unhealthy just like the danish ;). Some say the czech cuisine is the most original german/austrian one, but I'm not a fan of it.

The more north one goes in Europe (and in the world in general) the fattier the food becomes. Colder climates require burning more fats to warm the body.

I like the traditional central european cuisine, but I also like the mediterranean foods with lots of ripe fruit and veggies and seafood.

The more north one goes in Europe (and in the world in general) the fattier the food becomes. Colder climates require burning more fats to warm the body.

Yes, and also the kind of fat differs: butter in the north, oil in the south. France is one intermediate example where both is being used.
Butter is important in the north due to vitamin D supply. In winter I feel a stronger desire to eat butter than in summer.

I like the traditional central european cuisine, but I also like the mediterranean foods with lots of ripe fruit and veggies and seafood.

Med. food is of course awesome and from nutritional perspective superior, but I wouldn't like to eat it every day.

I might agree with vitamin D

In south Europe you need much provitamin A, sun then does its job

also in North you need more Vitamin C which in South is plenty.

but in Southern foods vitamins B are rare while in North due to more milk and wheat feeding is enough.

I think that main, in European feeding,problem is that,
Vitamin C in North,
Vitamins B in South

I might agree with vitamin D

In south Europe you need much provitamin A, sun then does its job

also in North you need more Vitamin C which in South is plenty.

but in Southern foods vitamins B are rare while in North due to more milk and wheat feeding is enough.

I think that main, in European feeding,problem is that,
Vitamin C in North,
Vitamins B in South

Many foods are now fortified with vitamins, at least in Canada, in dairy products and wheats. Lack of D3 might be a problem in south Europe too these days, many people try to stay pale and use sunscreen all the time, especially on kids.

Thanks Cattel, that was fun; made me homesick, so it's a good thing I'm leaving soon.:)

I'm very traditional when it comes to food, so while I admire the genius and creativity of someone like Massimo Bottura in Modena, food like that is not what I want to eat every day, even if I could afford it. If it's not broke don't fix it, or for another cliche, why mess with perfection. :grin: So, I'll stick with nonna's or mamma's food.

Here he is with his riff on Parmigiano Reggiano for those who aren't familiar with him.

Thanks Cattel, that was fun; made me homesick, so it's a good thing I'm leaving soon.:)

I'm very traditional when it comes to food, so while I admire the genius and creativity of someone like Massimo Bottura in Modena, food like that is not what I want to eat every day, even if I could afford it. If it's not broke don't fix it, or for another cliche, why mess with perfection. :grin: So, I'll stick with nonna's or mamma's food.

Here he is with his riff on Parmigiano Reggiano for those who aren't familiar with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO4ZXsyI6AU
I'm glad you liked it, Angela.

Made me homesick... and salivate. :grin: For me, the best food is the Mediterranean.
Btw, the Italian foods of our immigrants were a bit different. For example, there was no pizza. The diet, not much sophisticated, was based mostly on polenta (by far the main colonial food), formai, salame, pan, vin, galeto, agnolini (you call capeletti), few kinds of pasta, minestrone, radicci...

Thanks for the video. Indeed, people often do not consider the age issue.
I'm particularly fan of Grana Padano - which is being produced here too, under license, with Italian know-how.
http://revistagloborural.globo.com/GloboRural/0,6993,EEC1701162-1641,00.html
http://revistagloborural.globo.com/GloboRural/0,6993,EEC1701162-1641-2,00.html

On mamma's food, no way of disagreement. :)

I'm glad you liked it, Angela.

Made me homesick... and salivate.
grin.png
For me, the best food is the Mediterranean.
Btw, the Italian foods of our immigrants were a bit different. For example, there was no pizza. The diet, not much sophisticated, was based mostly on polenta (by far the main colonial food), formai, salame, pan, vin, galeto, agnolini (you call capeletti), few kinds of pasta, minestrone, radicci...

Thanks for the video. Indeed, people often do not consider the age issue.
I'm particularly fan of Grana Padano - which is being produced here too, under license, with Italian know-how.
http://revistagloborural.globo.com/GloboRural/0,6993,EEC1701162-1641,00.html
http://revistagloborural.globo.com/GloboRural/0,6993,EEC1701162-1641-2,00.html

On mamma's food, no way of disagreement.
smile.gif

I'm gathering that you're talking about South America? A lot of distant relatives of mine went to Argentina. In fact, Italians from Argentina are my best matches on 23andme. They still sometimes come back with their families in August. It seems that they have maintained their "Italianicity" better than Italian Americans even when there's been some intermarriage.

Americans tend to assume that all Italian cuisine is like Italian-American cuisine, when it really isn't even that faithful a copy of southern cooking, much less like the cooking of my people. (Although that has changed in recent years.) They don't believe me when I say that the first pizza I ever ate was in an American school for Friday lunch. :) Our pizza was called farinata and it was made from ceci flour. The closest to pizza would be our focaccia, with olive oil, salt and maybe onions.
Savona_Farinata_Bianca.jpg

focacciafinal.jpg

We also didn't eat pasta every day. Where I come from is sort of where Emilia, Liguria, and Toscana meet, and my mother had to do homage to my father's Emilian roots as well, so she always followed a sort of rough rotation: pasta, minestra, risotto, polenta, gnocci, and so forth for the starches, along with things like roasted or boiled potatoes. We probably ate pasta twice a week.

Yes, they call them cappelletti in parts of Emilia. My nonna from Parma called the big stuffed pasta tordei. They were dressed with cream and grated parmigiano, or melted butter and salvia. My favorite pasta is still my mother's ravioli alla genovese, though; it was to die for. :)

I tried to keep up these traditions, but it's difficult when you work ten hours a day, so the more complicated stuff had to wait for holidays.

They ate a lot of parmigiano in those valleys, obviously. Prosciutto too, of course, since one of my father's villages is a valley over from Langhirano. My favorite cured meats, though, are mortadella and culatello.

Anyway, I'm also very fond of French food, other than that I'm not too big on organ meets. A little bit goes a very long way for me when it comes to them! I like Spanish food too, and Greek to a certain extent. I've also come to really love Chinese food. It can be very complex and sophisticated.

This thread has been viewed 70170 times.

Back