• Total voters

Zauriel

The Angel of Justice
Reaction score
Northeast Greenhills, San Juan, Manila, Philippine
Ethnic group
Chinese
Which English do you use normally?

I normally use American English and also use Philippine English sometimes with other Filipinos.

I usually say lechon instead of "suckling pig", buko juice instead of "coconut juice", etc.

I answered "other kind of English" because I think my English is mix of American and British English. My pronunciation is closer to Brit English but the idioms etc I use are more often American than British. I've been thinking if I should just spell everything the American style since there's no way my written English looks British :p

I think my accent is closer to American English because of all the US influences -> tv, internet, etc. although at school they try to push Brittish English down our throats.

American English. It is my 'native tongue'.

Recently I watched a bunch of videos of Jamacian music concerts and I could not understand much of the English they used. My ears were not used to the accents. Would that be considered 'Commonwealth English' or 'Other'. It does seem to my untrained ears to be not like various British comedies that I've seen.

I was tempted to write: "I Speakke Italiano Englishe" but at the end I think I speak a sort of British English...

Depends on who I am talking to and depends on my mood. I have a preference for British English, but I sometimes take a slight American accent and some American expressions from American TV series or movies...

I don?ft think my English is Malaysian English anymore. All those years of studying in Australia has changed my English, but as I am not born in Australia the people whose first language is Australian English can detect my English is not like theirs.

I also tend to get a lot of influence from the U.S. media. There are some people who think my English is more like American English than Australian English.

In the Engineering firm my brother works at, there are employees from South Africa, America, and UK and of course locals and people speak all sorts of English in his firm.

In some Australian University some of the lecturers are fussy about people using English other than Australian ones. Personally I think it is a bit unnecessary because we have so many international students and most of them go back only a few get to stay.

I speak British English, since I live in England and I have only been to America once in my entire life, I'm embarrassed to say! :bluush:
Sometimes I use American expressions/turns of phrase, just because you see them written down a lot (especially on the internet), but my pronunciation is still British English. Most of the time. Mehh, I think I just have a weird accent. :mad:

Well I started learning english when I was like 6 years old, and at that school they taught British English, but since Ive only been once in my life to London and lots of times to the US and helf of my family live there I think my accent has changed to the american one, but sometimes there are some words that I pronounce in british, so I guess I have a wierd combination of both :)

hmm i'd say probaply more american english..phonetically wise, but in grammar i like to mix it up so that it's more continental european

Three years ago an Australian teacher asked me if I've ever lived in the US, and I told him "no, why ?", he replied "because you speak with a perfect American accent !!". Many people told me the same afterwards.

I tend to speak with a British accent when I'm nervous though. This happens to me often when I do a presentation at school. I try to speak normally (i.e. with an American accent), but the words come out British.. strange !! :p

Concerning the language itself (vocabulary, expressions), I think I use American most of the time.. most probably Internet, movies, and friends' influence.

Judging from sources which I studied from (movies, cartoons, music and Internet of course), I would say American English, but if judge solely from my accent, then...mmmmmm...where's the option terrible English.

When I'm in Britain, people ask me if I'm American, and when I'm in the US, they ask me if I'm British :giggle:
So I guess my accent is somewhere in between... And I'm flattered at being mistaken for a native English speaker :cool-v:
Most teachers I have had in school preferred to teach British English, but throughout my childhood, TV bombarded me with American movies and shows, so I have always used a combination of both.
But after living in the US for a year, I have become much more Americanized, so today I tend to use American expressions, vocabulary and grammar. However, in many situations when I'm talking to other Europeans, I use British vocabulary ("football", not "soccer" etc.)

I grew up speaking both American English and Continental Portuguese. I sound so Northeast American that people are surprised when I tell them I was born in Northern Portugal.

Many dialects...

It is not as simple as British or American. Just in the USA there are many dialects, and even more in Britain. Then there are Australian, S African, Kiwi, Canadian, Indian, etc. versions of English.

I am from the USA, but am Appalachian, so my speech is full of Appalachian inflections and expressions. Plus I am very multicultural and international, so I have elements of Black USA English, California English, and British elements in it.

No matter where I go in the USA, they think I talk funny. In Appalachia they hear California. Many whites hear black elements. In California they think I'm a hillbilly. Many people simply ask, "Where are you from?"

It's all good... In Spanish I have the same situation. I speak mostly the northern Mexican dialect, but I lived in Spain so I'll slip into that, and I've been around Central Americans a lot, so it comes out differently every time I speak.

My kids have a definite American twang, they finish sentences with the volume going UP! its referred to as a transatlantic accent I personally blame all the Hanna Montana and Carli they watch on TV.

I think its gas listening to all the Spanish students sent over here to learn English and go home with really strong Dublin accents "Al rite bud".

Hello,

I am Arabian (Egyptian), so I think my English sounds like "Middle east English" :)

I've done secondary british education though.

Hello,
I am Arabian (Egyptian), so I think my English sounds like "Middle east English" :)
I've done secondary british education though.

Is there not a difference between Egyptians and Arabs?

Hello Cambria Red,
Actually Egypt is called "Arab republic of Egypt", and the formal language in Egypt is Arabic. In fact, Egypt is the head of 'League of arab states'. The same way as France is the head of 'European union'. So yes, Egyptians are Arabs.
I am feeling happy that your're interested to know. blesses..

This thread has been viewed 22054 times.

Back