Economy Is social security to blame for high unemployment rates ?

To put it this way, I fully agree that welfare-spendings in Germany are exagerated! Or at least, handed over to the wrong people: lazy people who don't want to work and lazy people without even German citizenship, instead of young families who really work a lot and really need the money. If I had any political decision, I would severely cut welfare spendings of long-term unemployed and criminals, and instead lower taxes for full-time but low-income employed families.
I also agree that arresting laws in Germany are too weak! At least, trials are waaay too slow. And I like your idea that criminals should be asked to pay more for their trials and imprisonments, or prison conditions should be lowered.

But IMO there is still a huge gap between cutting social welfare and sending people to death! Maybe I am blinded by the results of enlightenment and the Third Reich, but rather listening to your affectation instead of rational level-headed thinking will put Western Europe, well, into a state of the Balkans...

It reminds me Nero and after him the christians,
when rome was in Decadence some wise claim that it was the christians,
and they burn and tolerate cristians,
when later christian became rulers, at any decadence or lost battle it was the pagans, and they burn pagans,
later it was the witch and the black cat,
same was the 3rd reich,
the Nazi decadence and the their lost effort created witches and pagans and christians, only that time had another name,

I agree with you that some prisoners pass better in prison than outside,
and that depends on state,
I agree with labor of prisoners to earn some money to cover their medicines, but I disagree with gullag (how ever is spelled) and the forced laboury of prisoners, or easy execution, etc,
and for me it is another story the public help and another the social insurance,
the problem of the state, at least my country is that the state mixed both medicine and health care with retirements,
I believe that must split,
on the other hand the public help to someone with special needs, etc is another case,

I didn't say it to be an insult or at least not one as big as what you said. You dismissed my theories and bundled them together with the problems of the Balkans. By doing this you belittle my intelligence, you categorize all Balkan people as a backward region of loonies, and you show ignorance regarding the terrible problems facing people in the Balkans (problems which were mainly not caused by them in the first place but rather by foreign communist manipulation and Western (mostly American) sponsoring of nationalist groups during the 1980s).

I didn't say that people from the Balkans are less intelligent, or are silly or whatever! If that was your impression, I apologize for choosing the wrong words. Yet I do believe, from what I've experienced, that people from the Balkans show more emotions during debates, and let these emotions guide their decisions stronger. This can of course also affect politics and laws! The explanation might be in it's history, that you probably know better than I do.

--> Ok, at this point one might argue that Western Europeans also have their emotions in political decisions, which due to history are somewhat different. But no one becomes sillier because of that!

I agree. Though I do think that we both should criticize the leaders of our nations AND all others of the world. Society's interests are becoming less and less important, while the greed and personal ambitions of the leaders is ever-increasing. And that is the crux of the matter. Every country in the world has this problem. This why they tend to ignore social problems, but strongly attack anyone who can take away their political power.

I agree, too!

Hmm well then we should be allies :D

Funny that you mention the nazis at the beginning of the thread, Mpunzu. I've been in Berlin for a year and haven't heard about any gassing since I am here. European politicians should be honest and organise studies of german economy from 1933 to 1939. If Hitler was definitely a mass murderer from 1942 on, his economic policies from 1933 to 1939 did achieve some impressive results. I am persuaded we can learn something from it, by studying how his measures affected the economic life.
But of course, borrowing methods used by fascists will be too much for some politicians, who prefer to let their country be hammered back to the Middle-Ages by the economic crisis they helped creating.

Last edited:
Funny that you mention the nazis at the beginning of the thread, Mpunzu. I've been in Berlin for a year and haven't heard about any gassing since I am here.

So what?
I think that when somewhen suggests to "deport and execute" people who are unbenefital for society, I think I can draw a comparison to the Nazis, no matter where I live, or not?

Same remark, I haven't heard about any proposal to deport and execute anyone...

To be purposeful, I'd like to add that social security and unemployment are the two sides of the same coin. Cut social security and all sorts of benefits and you'll see the pattern dramatically changing. If the question was "Do social benefits impair unemployment rates?", the answer would be a massive yes, for the reasons Maciamo described on the original post.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 44257 times.

Back