Films & Series European film recommendations

Three movies I enjoyed very much:

The Celebration (Festen)
Denmark, 1998

One of my favourite Danish films, and it won quite a few awards. It tells the story of a family gathering to celebrate their father's 60th birthday. At the dinner the son reveals a rather unpleasant secret about his father. The Dogme 95 style makes it interesting too.

The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)
Germany, 2006

Doesn't need any introduction. It's a must-see film!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Män som hatar kvinnor)
Sweden/Denmark, 2009

Successful film adaptation of Stieg Larsson's very exciting global bestseller novel, which I recommend too. It's brand new, but it has already hit the cinemas in France, Belgium, Italy and Spain, and other countries will undoubtedly follow.

The Celebration was excellent...

Cinema Paradiso (Italy)
The life of the others (Germany)
Secrets & lies (UK)
Soldados de Salamina (Spain)
Millenium saga (Sweden)

European cinematography is not valued to it's real potential. I saw many memorable movies that really have something to teach you. Starting with Portugal cinematography and ending with Russian cinema, you really have some very interesting productions to see. It is really worth researching more into this. Good luck!

The Wicker Man (1973) - an awsome British film.

Also, «The Adventures of the Baron of Munchausen», from Terry Gilliam. Yes, Gilliam is an American. But he is the most European of all Americans, as it was said before... and, actually, he recently became an European citizen (British, I tink). He made all the tv series and films of the British Monty Python group; and the above mentioned Baron of Munchausen is an European literary hero. Most of the actors in this film are European (Brits).

Another of his great European films was «The Grimm Brothers», entirely based on the writtings of these mentioned German Nationalist authors.

How many European film makers can be credited with such an amount of genuinely European cinema?

Andrei Rublev

(Soviet Union, 1969)

Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky

A critically acclaimed epic that sheds light on what it means to be a Christian and an artist, Andrei Tarkovsky's movie is based on the life of a medieval icon painter. Andrei Rublev traces its protagonist through a famine, a Tatar incursion, a "painter's block," a faith crisis, and finally his artistic restoration and a kind of redemption. The film itself is a visual magnum opus that celebrates beauty and art with such breathtaking intensity that one wonders if one could endure this movie had it not been in black-and-white.

Goodbye Lenin (German)
really sad but soo cool :)

Many years ago in the spanish t.v. emitted cinema from around the world and I really liked the Polish cinema, I do not remember any titles. At present, the Spanish television channels are taken over by U.S. emissions, work from Monday to Saturday and barely have time to watch movies, although I studied screenwriting and interpretation, I even make a film as an actor, recently the time available to devote to other issues.

For me personally "El Orfanato" of Juan Antonio Bayona is one of the best horror movies ever. It really freaked me out.

For me personally "El Orfanato" of Juan Antonio Bayona is one of the best horror movies ever. It really freaked me out.

I love horror, when I have some time to see The Orphanage.

I must say: "The boy in the striped pyjamas", The millenium saga (although i haven't seen the second movie yet). I really like european movies, they are more concerned about the story than with the special effects.

Another movie I really loved, a Spanish one: "Los amantes del Circulo Polar Artico".

Another movie I really loved, a Spanish one: "Los amantes del Circulo Polar Artico".

I also liked the climax is so special, you'll probably like Luc?a y el sexo, a film is also special.

Last edited:
I also liked the climax is so special, you'll probably like Luc�a y el sexo, a film is also special.

Of course! I loved it! Paz Vega became famous with that movie! Creo que Lucìa y el sexo sea una peli fantastica! (y)

This thread has been viewed 74474 times.

Back