What European food DON'T you like ?

What European food DON'T you like ?

• Total voters
Obviously likes and dislikes in food is quite literally a matter of taste (as well as knowledge and to a lesser extent tradition).

I happen to love Braunschweiger and its variants. Actually Braunschweiger is a variant of smoked mettwurst but no point in being picky.

There’s a shop in the Grosskölnstrasse in Aachen that does the most wonderful cooked meats, and serves both hot and cold on an assortment of bread or bread rolls (Brötchen) to just sit and chew on while wandering amongst the various shops, or just sitting by the quite spectacular modern fountain.

There’s several (it’s a wurst,and so being Germany there’s many) types of what are in essence mettwurst, and I’m an aficionado (the word I used for some reason fell foul of the bad word filter!) for all of ‘em!

What I will point out is that just as it’s virtually impossible to find good cheese or chocolate in the US, so I’m yet to find a good German style wurst. Maybe it’s a matter of my Eupnoea pallet and what I’m used to, maybe the preparation or recipe is different.

Good bratwurst should be made from lean cuts of pork and veal. It is essential to use veal and young veal at that.

There’s several varieties of bratwurst depending on the region, mostly the variations are in the spices used and on the size of the things, but what I have noticed is that in the US every one of the domestic Bratwurst that I’ve met seems to use beef as opposed to veal, and to contain far too much fat.

Bratwurst should always be grilled.

I know that they are sometimes cooked by boiling them, I know that the “brat” is sometimes (wrongly) translated as a diminutive form of the German word “braten”, whereas it actually refers to the way the sausage is made, even though the German word “brat” translates to roast, but the best bratwurst when made properly and grilled are great.

If you like that sort of thing!

Last edited:
Goat's head gets a minus 1,000 on my good / bad scale.

Oh, com'n guys, you discredited good food based on what?
You know nutritional value of a liver, blood sausage, or other organs? And if it's prepared by a good cook it's simply delicious.
I think the problem nowadays is that parents are not cooking much or well on this matter. Kids are not exposed to variety of cuisines, except what you can get from fast food chains, or small eateries, serial box, warm up and eat stuff, etc.
Once you can get over of what is the food made of you can enjoy cooking to the fullest.

Liver with onion, or cranberry sauce, mmmmm, anyone? :D

I don't know about cranberry sauce combined liver and onions...:shocked:

lol, I'm not fan of mixing meets and fruits either. But I was amazed eating it in one french restaurant.

Marmite. You either love it, or hate it!

I pretty much avoid organ meats and blood sausage of any variety. My German farmer grandfather used to butcher hogs at the first cold front to come through south Texas. (Usually wasn't until late November or early December) I can still remember standing outside in a stiff north wind stirring the kettles while we cooked the pig blood and rendered the lard from the fat.
The the smell to come out of the refrigerator while my grandmother cured the head cheese. She called it Sulze (Pigs stomach with all sorts of scraps of hog meat from the head, feet, ears, organs and and other parts that were too small to mess with or didn't make it into the sausage grinder.)
Of course I enjoyed eating the wurst, hams, bacon and roasts that came from the hog, but it seems my elders were just wild about the blutwurst and Sulze. :useless:

BTW, in Maciamo's selection I thought when he had English Jelly, I thought he was talking about Aspic. It seems like half the food I was served in England had a coating of that gelatinous crap! Here in America what he was talking about was Jello. I don't like it, don't eat it or even like to look at it however just about everybody else I know of here loves the crap!

I'd have had a feast with your grandfather then. I can't cook though, but love the variety of old european foods.

I pretty much avoid organ meats and blood sausage of any variety. My German farmer grandfather used to butcher hogs at the first cold front to come through south Texas. (Usually wasn't until late November or early December) I can still remember standing outside in a stiff north wind stirring the kettles while we cooked the pig blood and rendered the lard from the fat.
The the smell to come out of the refrigerator while my grandmother cured the head cheese. She called it Sulze (Pigs stomach with all sorts of scraps of hog meat from the head, feet, ears, organs and and other parts that were too small to mess with or didn't make it into the sausage grinder.)
Of course I enjoyed eating the wurst, hams, bacon and roasts that came from the hog, but it seems my elders were just wild about the blutwurst and Sulze. :useless:

BTW, in Maciamo's selection I thought when he had English Jelly, I thought he was talking about Aspic. It seems like half the food I was served in England had a coating of that gelatinous crap! Here in America what he was talking about was Jello. I don't like it, don't eat it or even like to look at it however just about everybody else I know of here loves the crap!

Could it be you are confusing two things? The meal you described first (Pigs stomach stuffed with other meat) is called "Saumagen" (hog stomach) and speciality from the Palatinate region, while Sülze actually is the scraps in aspic. The latter btw is the worst thing i've ever eaten in my life, the only thing in recent years that made me want to vomit. There is nothing in Maciamo's list above that can reach Sülze!

I forgot to say that I disliked peanut butter too. I think that when the Belgians I know think about British food, they think more about jelly, peanut butter and marmite than fish & chips, roastbeef or Cornish pies. Probably because fish & chips and roastbeef are also common in Belgium and Cornish pies (or meat pies) are so unknown here that it doesn't spring to mind.
But black pudding is also very common in Belgium and the neighbouring Rheinland region of Germany (although not in Eastern Germany, I noticed). I love them with mashed potatoes and apple compote, the whole mixed till it gives an distgusting-looking mish-mash.:liplick:
Goat cheese is almost sacred in Belgium and France. My wife doesn't like it, like most Japanese, apparently...

Isn't peanut butter Mesoamerican or just American? I think the mesoamerican good is very different from modern peanut butter invented by Americans. I think the same applies to chocolate too.

I'll settle for a big and really well fried schnitzel with at least a couple of fried eggs, fries, mayo and green salad! (Got to have the green salad to make it healthy!)

This thread has been viewed 45862 times.

Back