Is France a misnomer ?

Franci as they called themselves settled mainly in NorthWest France - Ill d France , but probably in moderate numbers , while in other aerias they number is realy small . So I agred France is misnomer . About what lands should be called Francia - France I would say Belgium , Franconia ( in Germany ) , Luxemburg and south Nederlands . Franks were probably aliance of nations not only one nation - they first apearance is about III century , when in German lands was some kind of power shift , and creation of new aliances like Alemans ( " of all nations ")and Franks ( " brave ones , honorable ones " ) . In this aliance were probably included German nations like Suebi and Frisi and other lesser groups , but also Celtic tribes of Belgae .

What haplogroups were originally found in the Franks? I have come across a dutch family with links to the Merovingians, ydna testing found them to be L21. The Walloon franco-phone regions have elevated R1b-U152. The region of Poitou and Saintonage may hold some clues as they have long been associated with the Franks and are surrounded by other communities. If we assume for a moment that the Franks had limited amounts of R1b-U106 and I1, could they have been predominantly R1b-U152 Northern 'Celtic' peoples who remained in the North and formed a loose confederation of smaller tribes? The names Lotharingia, Merovingia and others have a distinct Northern quality to them, perhaps even Scandinavian or Norse if I may venture into the realm of fantasy.

Last edited:
A Frank means a free man.

Is it just me or do other people also notice that the Frankish Kingdom under Charlemagne roughly matches the borders of the founding members of the EU (France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, West Germany, Italy)? I've always been wondering whether there are cultural ties up to this day that bound these countries together.

What haplogroups were originally found in the Franks? I have come across a dutch family with links to the Merovingians, ydna testing found them to be L21. The Walloon franco-phone regions have elevated R1b-U152. The region of Poitou and Saintonage may hold some clues as they have long been associated with the Franks and are surrounded by other communities. If we assume for a moment that the Franks had limited amounts of R1b-U106 and I1, could they have been predominantly R1b-U152 Northern 'Celtic' peoples who remained in the North and formed a loose confederation of smaller tribes? The names Lotharingia, Merovingia and others have a distinct Northern quality to them, perhaps even Scandinavian or Norse if I may venture into the realm of fantasy.
It is real posibility Franks had a lot Celtic blood , maybe even lot more than Germanic.
From Wikipedia :
The ethnonym Frank has sometimes been traced to the Germanic word for "javelin" (cf. Old English franca, Old Norse frakka), as opposed to Latin francisca "throwing axe", which was named after the tribe. A weapon-based tribal name would be comparable to that of the Saxons. Others tie the name to a word for "bold, fierce" (cf. Middle Dutch vrac, Old English frǣc, Old Norwegian frakkr). The name's origin remains disputed.[4]
Modern scholars of the Migration Period are in agreement that the Frankish identity emerged at the first half of the 3rd century out of various earlier, smaller Germanic groups, including the Salii, Sicambri, Chamavi, Bructeri, Chatti, Chattuarii, Ampsivarii, Tencteri, Ubii, Batavi and the Tungri. These tribes inhabited the lower and middle Rhine valley between the Zuyder Zee and the river Lahn and extended eastwards as far as the Weser, but were the most densely settled around the IJssel and between the Lippe and the Sieg. The Frankish confederation probably began to coalesce in the 210s around the area Romans called Germania inferior.
Abouth Lotharingia it is named after Lothar one of sons that shared Charles empire .
Merovingians were named after Merovech father of Childerich , who was father of Chlodovech / Clovis/ Ludwig I conqueror of the Gaul.
To me Merovech sound somehow Latin more than Germanic, maybe conected with Marius ?

Is it just me or do other people also notice that the Frankish Kingdom under Charlemagne roughly matches the borders of the founding members of the EU (France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, West Germany, Italy)? I've always been wondering whether there are cultural ties up to this day that bound these countries together.
Yes there is definetly conection .

This thread has been viewed 49671 times.

Back