Where diamonds come from...

misa.j

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Asian
I have wondered once where and how diamonds came to the market, not that I like them or anything but just out of curiosity. The kind low in quality, used for industrial purposes can be made from carbon, but the most pure diamonds for luxurious jewellry are mined by the laborers in the fields.

In Sierra Leone, a country in West Africa, there has been a conflict between the government millitant and the rebels who try to gain control over the land for diamond mining for a long time. Since a civil war erupted in 1991, there have been over 50,000 people have been killed, with over one million people been misplaced.
The profit from diamonds are being used for illegal arms shipments to escalate the conflict, causing horrendous human rights abuse, and also it is raising child soldiers, a lof of them are between the age of 9 to 13.

I had no idea there was such a horrible fact behind a piece of stone which has been so valued by many people all over the world. Now, whenever I see someone wearing a huge diamond ring, I won't be able to help but thinking about the families that were ripped apart for it.

You can read more about this.
http://www.amnestyusa.org/amnestynow/diamonds.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/745194.stm

Have you seen the movie "Blood Diamond" with Leonardo DiCaprio ?

Yeah, I just did, and I couldn't believe what people in Sierra Leone have been going through. It was a great movie by the way, I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

I was so clueless about this before I saw the movie, and it became one of those sad discoveries that I thought people should be aware of.

I also have seen this movie recently. It was really quite good. But the problem of blood diamonds has actually been notorius even before...and it is not to be surprised that it may still be going on.

This thread has been viewed 7873 times.

Back