Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Belgian French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swiss French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other French dialect

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
In my case, both standard Parisian French and Belgian French. It's not so different, apart from a few words here and there. Not everybody speaks with the same pronuciation in Belgium. It's like in Scotland, some speak RP (standard "BBC" English), while other have a strong Scottish accent. Well, some Belgians speak standard Parisian French, while others have a stronger Walloon accent and use lots of loan words from Walloon.

Quebecois is almost a distinct language to me. In fact, it resemble more a mix of north-western French dialects than standard French.

My French is not fluent, it is reasonably good for a Dutch person.

I went to French conversation lessons in Lausanne, Switzerland.
My teacher was a French lady! But also in Lausanne and Genève people speak very nice French.
I love the French language and read many French books in Switzerland. But alas, here in Holland you will hard find any French book at all.

Everything is American overhere. A lack of Europe in general I should say, since there are also very few German books.

I know how to French kiss real good.......does that count?

If you can REALLY speak french like me then no, it doesnt count.

My French is not fluent, it is reasonably good for a Dutch person.

I went to French conversation lessons in Lausanne, Switzerland.
My teacher was a French lady! But also in Lausanne and Genève people speak very nice French.
I love the French language and read many French books in Switzerland. But alas, here in Holland you will hard find any French book at all.

Everything is American overhere. A lack of Europe in general I should say, since there are also very few German books.

Greetings Elizabeth,

I would like to send you a private message about genealogy in Tilburg. Since the subject (Tilburg genealogy) is off topic would the PM be acceptable to you?

Curtis

Last edited:
Quebecois is almost a distinct language to me. In fact, it resemble more a mix of north-western French dialects than standard French.

People in Montreal speak more Parisian French and less joual (dialect) than they used to ten or twenty years ago. In the small towns and rural areas, they still speak specific dialects based on whatever French dialect was spoken by the original settlers of that area. I've seen Quebec francophones from different parts of the province speak English to one another because they couldn't understand each other's French. But Parisian French is gradually replacing the dialects throughout Quebec.

This thread has been viewed 10146 times.

Back