Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
DW : Every Fifth German Professes "Deep Religious" Convictions

DW said:
A divide was apparent in the study between eastern and western Germany. While 78 percent of western Germans identified themselves as religious, 21 percent of these as highly religious, the numbers were 36 percent and 8 percent, respectively, in eastern Germany. As in most communist countries, the government took an antagonistic view of religion in the former East Germany.

Differences between the genders were also revealed by the study, with 20 percent of women and 16 percent of men reporting deep religiosity. Contrarily, 23 percent of women and 34 percent of men said they were not religious.

In other words,, almost 50% more men than women are not religious in Germany (34% against 23%).

The divide between East and West in the most evident though. This shows how much education is important in people's beliefs. Despite their shared language, culture and (pre-WWII) history, East and West Germans differ enormously when it comes to religious beliefs. If Germans truly followed their own beliefs in accordance with their own spiritual needs and rational abilities, there shouldn't be any significant difference anywhere in the country. What I conclude from this is that most people (in Germany) think the way they were taught and told rather than by themselves.

East Germany is far less developed than West Germany, that's for sure.

But people are not less educated. On the contrary, education levels in Eastern Europe is usually quite high.

Could it possibly be more a southern v northern German thing? The Bavarians being Catholic and Prussians Protestant and perhaps the Catholic religion with its emphasis on ritual and tradition is more enduring?

Could it possibly be more a southern v northern German thing? The Bavarians being Catholic and Prussians Protestant and perhaps the Catholic religion with its emphasis on ritual and tradition is more enduring?

The article didn't mention it. In general, I think that Catholics take religion less seriously than Protestants. As you said, for the Catholics religion is mostly a matter of tradition and rituals, rather than actual beliefs.

I was reading a study and I found that woman's are more religious then the man in trough out the world not only in Germany. i think its a woman's nature that they always productive towards there work, any type of work

What does productivity have to do with religiousness ? I think women are generally harder working than men (in most countries, but especially developing countries), although I wouldn't say they are necessarily more productive. Productivity depends more on individual abilities and organisation.

The article didn't mention it. In general, I think that Catholics take religion less seriously than Protestants. As you said, for the Catholics religion is mostly a matter of tradition and rituals, rather than actual beliefs.
Wait what? Is it okay if you can explain your resoning please, I happen to be a Catholic myself. :confused:

This thread has been viewed 13685 times.

Back