Neanderthal : facts and myths

Maciamo, these webs don't tell that Wilma was reconstructed based on the DNA of Vindija neadnerthal, even here is not mentioned Wilma.

Maciamo, these webs don't tell that Wilma was reconstructed based on the DNA of Vindija neadnerthal, even here is not mentioned Wilma.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about mtDNA. It wasn't clear from the quoted passage. I didn't say that this face was from Vindija. It is from El Sidrón in Asturias (northern Spain).

The Vindija cave has the best preserved DNA though, which is why it is the one being used to test "the" Neanderthal Genome (well, one kind of genome, from a brachycephalic specimen very different from other Neanderthals).

I've recently read this article about how blue eyes appeared in Europe after a genetic mutation on a single person 6.000-10.000 years ago (sorry i cant post links but u can easily google it). Does this contradict the theory of blue eyes being inherited by Neanderthals or does it enhance it?

Quote:
I've recently read this article about how blue eyes appeared in Europe after a genetic mutation on a single person 6.000-10.000 years ago (sorry i cant post links but u can easily google it). Does this contradict the theory of blue eyes being inherited by Neanderthals or does it enhance it?

You talk about the article I found?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html
The Dane said that blue eyes were born 6000-10000 years ago in Europe.

This thread is ridiculous.

Cambria Red said:
This thread is ridiculous.

It's pretty funny, but not ridiculous... with that in mind...

This is the American Professional Baseball Player, Johnny Damon... Tell me there aren't Neanderthal genes in him! :LOL:
6h5e9e.jpg

Quite a few I might say. Isn't it the Geico guy? lol

Yes I was talking about that article. Back then I couldn't post links :grin:

Thanks Marianne, here is a tidbit from the article
... the mutation also produces greater instance of blond hair (sexually selected for even today) and fair skin, which confers a survival advantage by stimulating greater production of vitamin D
in sun-starved northern European countries — exactly where blue eyes are still most prevalent

And this is the logical explanation why blue/green eyes still exist even though it is a recessive trait, or why it took hold at first place. It says that same gene also makes skin lighter, that produces more vitamin D and increases survivability, especially for mothers and newborns, where sun is weak.
Bingo! One less mystery on this planet, (y)

PS. I knew there had to be something more important that sexual attraction to blue eyes. hehe

It's pretty funny, but not ridiculous... with that in mind...
This is the American Professional Baseball Player, Johnny Damon... Tell me there aren't Neanderthal genes in him! :LOL:
6h5e9e.jpg

I've seen Damon many times on TV and at Yankee Stadium. Without the beard and hair he looks like a typical Euro-Asiatic, exactly what he is. Europeans, and to a far lesser extent, Asians, have Neanderthal genetic traits but such do not generally surface phenotypically.

Did they discover Neanderthalers with black hair and eyes? For example the Neanderthalers did not have a chin and were small. Nordic people are tall and
have a sharp chin. So are the nordics descendants of the Neanderthalers?

I have always believed that modern human races are the result of inbreeding of old humanoids...If a polar bear and a grizzly bear can cross and produce offspring that can reproduce with either species, why not the human kind? i strongly support that homo sapiens did mix with other human species locally and produced the variety of human races today...there is nothing wrong with that...it is actually amazing, from my point of view and simply human history...

Nicely put, exactly my thoughts too.

Some of them could pass for modern Europeans! Well, after a good haircut and a bath of course :LOL:

You are not wrong. In fact, I'm sure I've seen one of the women running a stall on Bury Market [Greater Manchester]. :LOL:

This thread has been viewed 60992 times.

Back