Medical conditions associated with Y-chromosome haplogroups

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
The Y-chromosome has very little function apart from male fertility. Contrarily to the X-chromosome, there are no known diseases passed on through the Y-chromosome. It was the first discovery of its kind when a study found that members haplogroup I were more likely to suffer from rapid HIV progression once contaminated.

All subclades alike are concerned, from the Nordic I1 to the Iberian I2a and the Balkanic I2a2.

Last edited:
A study on Pakistani men (S. Shoaib Shah et al.) found an association between haplogroups R2 and R1a1 and lower self-reported aggression.

Studies show that personality dimensions such as aggression are influenced by genetic factors and that allelic variants located on the Y chromosome influence such behavior. We investigated polymorphisms on the male-specific region of the human Y chromosome in 156 unrelated males from the same ethnic background, who were administered the Punjabi translation of the Buss and Perry Aggression Questionnaire that measures four aspects that constitute aggressive behavior, i.e. physical aggression, verbal aggression, anger, and hostility. A value of .85 for Cronbach's coefficient indicates considerable internal consistency and suggests that the psychometric properties of the aggression questionnaire can be adapted for the Pakistani population. A mean score±SD of 69.70±19.95 was obtained for the questionnaire. Each individual was genotyped following a phylogenetic hierarchical approach to define evolutionary Y haplogroups. Five Y haplogroups that are commonly found in Eurasia and Pakistan comprised 87% (n=136) of the population sample, with one haplogroup, R1a1, constituting 55% of the sampled population. A comparison of the total and four subscale mean scores across the five common Y haplogroups that were present at a frequency 3% in this ethnic group revealed no overall significant differences. However, effect-size comparisons allowed us to detect an association of the haplogroups R2 (Cohen's d statistic=.448-.732) and R1a1 (d=.107-.448) with lower self-reported aggression mean scores in this population.

Last edited:
Bad luck for carriers of haplogroup I, after being found more likely to get AIDS, here is another study that established a correlation between haplogroup I and coronary heart disease. Chances are increased by 55% compared to other haplogroups (or at least compared to R1b, as the study was done in the UK).

Last edited:
Wang et al. (2012) tested the Y-chromosomes of 3,995 prostate cancer cases and 3,815 control subjects and found no significant association between Y-DNA haplogroup and prostate cancer.

Genetic Basis of Y-Linked Hearing Impairment, another study by Wang et al. (2013), identifies the insertion of a gene (DFNY1) from chromosome 1 into the Y chromosome as a cause of deafness. The article doesn't mention which haplogroup might be affected, but the authors are all Chinese and mention that Y-linked hearing impairment was reported in a Chinese family and remains the sole documented Mendelian disorder showing Y-linkage in humans.

Last edited:
No problem with the AIDS just use rubber or stick to one girl

=P

A second study (Bloomer et al. 2013) confirms that carriers of Y-DNA haplogroup I have a 50% increased risk of coronary artery disease.

A second study (Bloomer et al. 2013) confirms that carriers of Y-DNA haplogroup I have a 50% increased risk of coronary artery disease.

So we are not very suited to the modern world, not surprising. I'll try to cut down on excess fat and keep fit and cross my fingers. :p

So we are more vulnerable to AIDS, coronary artery disease development, AND coronary heart disease?

As if we weren't endangered enough as it is...

So we are more vulnerable to AIDS, coronary artery disease development, AND coronary heart disease?

As if we weren't endangered enough as it is...

Still,AIDS rates are probably the lowest in Balkan I areas.

Still,AIDS rates are probably the lowest in Balkan I areas.

Yeah but I think it is mostly the result of culture. If the culture suddenlz changed, we would be screwed.

Yeah but I think it is mostly the result of culture. If the culture suddenlz changed, we would be screwed.

Not necessarily. If you are infected with HIV and develop aids more rapidly as is indicated by the posts above, then the chance that you spread the disease should decrease because you are less likely to not know you have HIV and inadvertently infect someone else and the probability you spread the disease is less if your lifespan is shorter.

Bad luck for carriers of haplogroup I, after being found more likely to get AIDS, here is another study that established a correlation between haplogroup I and coronary heart disease. Chances are increased by 55% compared to other haplogroups (or at least compared to R1b, as the study was done in the UK).
I guess I'm less detestable to AIDS, pretty relieving in a way but can't say I can take this for granted though.

A study on Pakistani men (S. Shoaib Shah et al.) found an association between haplogroups R2 and R1a1 and lower self-reported aggression.
Really? Pakistani, as well as Afghan and Russians seem one of the most angry people to me.
Or maybe it's the J Haplogroups. But anyway, Russians seem a lot angry to me...

This thread has been viewed 58061 times.

Back