Last Tsar's Y-DNA suggest R1b haplogroup for Scandinavian and Russian royals

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
A few Y-chromosome STR markers of Tsar Nicholas II have been released (see Ysearch ID). The Tsar appears to belong to haplogroup R1b, a haplogroup only found in about 5% of the Russian population, but very common in Western Europe.

The last 7 Emperors of Russia, from Peter III (1728-1762), descended from the Dukes of Holstein-Gottorp, themselves descendants of Christian I (1426-1481), King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, whose ancestors were the German Counts of Oldenburg.

The geographic origin of the lineage in North-West Germany hints that the R1b subclade could be R1b1b2a1a, determined by the mutation U106+ (also known as S21+). The Tsar's DNA hasn't been tested for this particular mutation, so we cannot be sure of it yet.

The Y-chromosome being inherited from father to son, it can be speculated that the members of the House of Oldenburg all belong(ed) to haplogroup R1b, if no infidelity took place.

This is of the highest interest to genetic genealogists, because it includes the present King of Norway, as well as the Queen of Denmark's late father Frederick IX.

The royal families of Denmark, Sweden (+ Finland) and Norway all belonged to this same lineage since the 15th century. The Swedish branch died off in 1818 with Charles XIII - who was succeeded by Napoleon's former marshal, Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte.

In addition to the Russian and Scandinavian monarchs, other royals sharing the same Y-DNA include among others :

- the Kings of Greece since George I (1863-1913)
- the (Grand) Dukes of Oldenburg
- the Dukes of Schleswig
- the Dukes of Holstein
- the Dukes of Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck
- the Dukes of Holstein-Sonderburg-Plön
- the Dukes of Holstein-Gottorp
- the Dukes of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

A famous member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. This means that Charles, Prince of Wales, and his sons William and Harry (again, possible infidelity notwithstanding), belong to that same Y-DNA lineage.

Hi, as a R1b-U106 myself (RZ8 subclade) I was wondering if there was an update about the info above. Is there? Sincerely, Huninc.

I'm sorry. I've forgotten to mention that my surname Hunink or Huninc originated from the Achterhoek region in the Netherlands and the nearby Westphalia region in Germany. In that region the name is at least a 1000 years old and in a high concentration. One explanation of the meaning of the name Huninc is that it means: 'descandant of Huno'. In that region there were farms called Huninc or Hunincuhus that was the proporty of Count Huno of Oldenburg (around the middle of the 11th century). It would be interesting if Huno of Oldenburg has given his name to farms or that his descandants remained in the region.

Hi - as a result of my work in "The King's Son (The Evidence) (3rd Edition)", I am working with an individual - whose father is GD = 1 from the known Tsar Nicholas II's Y-DNA at 17 markers, and may just be an Oldenburg. This individuals Haplogroup is under P312 > DF19 > DF88 > etc. More work is required before I can be more certain.

Regards
Brad Michael Little (the-kings-son.com)

Last edited:
I corrected my previous post.

Sincerely,
Brad Michael Little (the-kings-son.com)

Last edited:
IS KAYE'S GRANDFATHER AN OLDENBURG??

Team,

I have previously mentioned in a number of posts that I was working with a colleague (whose name is Kaye) to identify a possible additional "Big Name Brand" Royal Haplogroup - to add to the list that have previously been revealed.

Please refer to:
[url]http://the-kings-son.com/royal_other_haplogroups/royal_oldenburg_house[/URL]
for the summary. There is also an Appendix 2 pdf available for downloading with a paper that has a lot of information in it relating to this topic.

A close connection with the "Headless Roman Skeletons" from Driffield Terrace, York, UK was found during the investigation in to Kaye's case.

This is the re-opening of the discussion on "What is the Oldenburg Haplogroup?? - that began with the murder of Tsar Nicholas II and his family in 1917.

Is Kaye's Grandfather an Oldenburg?

We look forward to reading the discussion and debate on this topic.

Best regards,
Brad Michael Little
[url]www.the-kings-son.com[/URL]

We had the 6drif-23 discussion before (myftdna), i read you new book and yes, if you add a 1000 year, then there is a connection with the horseman, but...

I received my father's Y-DNA from the genographic project, and he is Rb R1b,m343, subclade R1b1a2, m269. I am seeing in your posts more detailed information. Do you think I need to have the full sequencing of his Y-DNA, before being able to match him up with other people?

Hi Anne ... yes you will need to get at the very minimum a 67 marker test. The standard 12 marker test will not really tell you very much.

Regards,
Brad Michael Little
the-kings-son.com

This thread has been viewed 59468 times.

Back