Lie about mtDNA haplogroup frequencies in Spain.

Truthdna

Reaction score
This article: (Distribution of European mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroups by region in percentage) States the following lie : Spain has an amazingly large percentage of "other" haplogroups (23%). About half of them are of probable Native American origin (A, B, C), one quarter of African origin (L1, L2, L3), and the remaining quarter of European, Middle-Eastern or Indian origin (HV, M, N, R).
The above statement has no evidence of being true although it states (several sources were used and averages recalculated by merging the data available) the article does not cite its sources although it can be certain that its largest source is Mitosearch which I Have warned against elsewhere because a large percentage of Latin Americans can trace their direct maternal ancestry to Spain but are incorrect.
There are a number of scientific studies that disprove the first statement including

Joining the pillars of Hercules: mtDNA sequences show multidirectional gene flow in the western Mediterranean.

Mitochondrial DNA Variation of Modern Tuscans Supports the Near Eastern Origin of Etruscans

The sources above show that Spain has about 1% L (African mtDNA) which is comparable to England. And 0% Native American mtDNA
Is there anyway I can fix this mistake or notify someone who can?
Sincerely Truthdna

Last edited:
This article: (Distribution of European mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroups by region in percentage) States the following lie : Spain has an amazingly large percentage of "other" haplogroups (23%). About half of them are of probable Native American origin (A, B, C), one quarter of African origin (L1, L2, L3), and the remaining quarter of European, Middle-Eastern or Indian origin (HV, M, N, R).
The above statement has no evidence of being true although it states (several sources were used and averages recalculated by merging the data available) the article does not cite its sources although it can be certain that its largest source is Mitosearch which I Have warned against elsewhere because a large percentage of Latin Americans can trace their direct maternal ancestry to Spain but are incorrect.
There are a number of scientific studies that disprove the first statement including

Joining the pillars of Hercules: mtDNA sequences show multidirectional gene flow in the western Mediterranean.

Mitochondrial DNA Variation of Modern Tuscans Supports the Near Eastern Origin of Etruscans

The sources above show that Spain has about 1% L (African mtDNA) which is comparable to England. And 0% Native American mtDNA
Is there anyway I can fix this mistake or notify someone who can?
Sincerely Truthdna

There are quite a lot of racists out there who are putting uninformed and biased information on the internet- it doesn't make them right and you have to sort through all the data to find the credible common denominator before drawing any conclusions. I read many things biased against people from the Mediterranean but it's usually put there by someone who is unsure of his own roots or genetic background. I have even read comments on this site by members who seem biased in one way or another but usually because understanding genetics is not easy. Try Stormfront if you need a good laugh. The level of ignorance is very deep. :confused:

According to this mtDNA maps, there is no such "others" haplogroups in Spain. Spain has the same mtDNA haplogroups found in all Europe.

eur-mtdna.png

LondonResultsMtdna_b.jpg

mtdnamapworld.jpg

Yes, this is a huge mistake. I have no idea how such a large (22%) other figure was arrive at. Quite bizarre.

There are quite a lot of racists out there who are putting uninformed and biased information on the internet- it doesn't make them right and you have to sort through all the data to find the credible common denominator before drawing any conclusions. I read many things biased against people from the Mediterranean but it's usually put there by someone who is unsure of his own roots or genetic background. I have even read comments on this site by members who seem biased in one way or another but usually because understanding genetics is not easy. Try Stormfront if you need a good laugh. The level of ignorance is very deep. :confused:

Indeed, there are many deranged racists out there. And, a great percentage of them are poorly educated and VERY stupid. The fact is that the majority of Iberians (Spaniards and Portuguese) genetically correlate and match much more with other European Atlantic Fringe peoples than with Mediterraneans. There are, unfortunately, quite a number of racial myths out there as regards everything from the Greeks originating from Ethiopia to the Romanians being mainly Gypsy. Sick world... I've had my own battle here with one nut-job. I blew him out with the facts... :LOL:

Yes. As you can see in the map, Iberian mtDNA haplogroups are extremely similar with that of Germany or Norway, typically European. There are no "odd" haplogroups.
I don't know where this 23% figure comes from, It's quite clear that there is some agenda behind it

After double checking the sources, it seems that the 23% all come from commercial tests, so it is very possible that all those people are in fact Latin Americans who think they have Spanish matrilineal ancestry but in fact don't (or don't understand the difference between maternal and matrilineal). As this looks suspicious to me too, I will remove the data from the table and recalculate it based on scientific studies only.

It is wrong to say that Spain has about 1% L (African mtDNA) which is comparable to England. Of course if you count in the average regions like Basques or Catalans who do not have L lineages, you get an average not very high but still between 2 and 3 % .
I doesnt not make sense to average regions with a very different history.

The highest % of African mtDNA

But if you still want to do an average from the main studies, you get 2.10%

Alvarez et al. (2007) found 9 L lineages out of 312 (2.90%)
Pereira et al. (2005) found 8 L lineages out of 496 (1.61%)
Casas et al. (2006) found 9 L lineages out of 108 in Cordoba (8.30%, very high! )

So 26/916 gives 2.83 % whereas in England you get only 2 sequences for the same sample size which is about 0.2 % and 15 times lower.

And of course in regions like Galicia you have % like 3.50, in Cordoba about 8.30 % etc

And even if the frequency is clearly higher in Portugal (for example Pereira et al. (2005)found 32 sequences in 549 individuals that is a mean of 5.83% with frequencies of 11.38 % in the South and many other studies found the same levels) than in Spain , an average of almost 3% in Spain is without parallel in the rest of Europe

It is wrong to say that Spain has about 1% L (African mtDNA) which is comparable to England. Of course if you count in the average regions like Basques or Catalans who do not have L lineages, you get an average not very high but still between 2 and 3 % .
I doesnt not make sense to average regions with a very different history.
The highest % of African mtDNA
But if you still want to do an average from the main studies, you get 2.10%
Alvarez et al. (2007) found 9 L lineages out of 312 (2.90%)
Pereira et al. (2005) found 8 L lineages out of 496 (1.61%)
Casas et al. (2006) found 9 L lineages out of 108 in Cordoba (8.30%, very high! )
So 26/916 gives 2.83 % whereas in England you get only 2 sequences for the same sample size which is about 0.2 % and 15 times lower.
And of course in regions like Galicia you have % like 3.50, in Cordoba about 8.30 % etc

And, how about the studies that included M3 as Sub-Saharan mt-DNA. M3 is Asian. Researchers have done that in Portugal, increasing the SS frequencies by over a third. Instead of 3% or less nationally, which is a much more valid figure, they calculated over 5%. Moreover, think about all the samplings that were not representative of the native population and should never have been included. Participants from Alcacer do Sal (people isolated by disease and slavery from the general population)? Are you freaking serious? Some "geneticists" are incompetent or have political agendas (Pereira is likely one of them).

None of these studies includes M3 but only L lineages.

You also mentionned Achilli et al 2007 (Mitochondrial DNA Variation of Modern Tuscans Supports the Near Eastern Origin of Etruscans). Here are the numbers they reported for Spain (exluding Basque people which is very different genetically and by the way wants to separate form Spain) :

Spain, northwestern 8/216
Spain, central 1/148
Spain, Andalusia 2/114
Spain, northeastern 3/179

Which gives again 14/657 = 2.13 % while England is reported at 2/335 = 0.60 %

So apart from Basque Country and Catalonia, we see that Spain has an average > 2% without parallel in the rest of Europe...

Germany has 1/335 reported by Achilli at al 2007 which gives 0.30% only, France has 1/332 = 0.30%, Poland has 1/542 = 0.18% and so on.

Only Italy, in some regions, has frequencies between 2 an 3% like in Latium 4/138 = 2.90%, Volterra 3/114 = 2.63% etc

Scotland 0/1199 = 0%, Norway 0/556, Ireland 0/300 etc all numbers reported by Achilli et al 2007

Germany has 1/335 reported by Achilli at al 2007 which gives 0.30% only, France has 1/332 = 0.30%, Poland has 1/542 = 0.18% and so on.

Only Italy, in some regions, has frequencies between 2 an 3% like in Latium 4/138 = 2.90%, Volterra 3/114 = 2.63% etc
Actually Germany has 1.2% :
" Combined data from two large mtDNA studies provides an estimate of non-Caucasoid maternal ancestry in Italians. The first study sampled 411 Italians from all over the country and found five South Asian M and East Asian D sequences (1.2%) and eight sub-Saharan African L sequences (1.9%). The second study sampled 465 Sicilians and detected ten M sequences (2.2%) and three L sequences (0.65%). This makes a total of 3% non-white maternal admixture (1.3% Asian and 1.7% African), which is very low and typical for European populations, since Pliss et al. 2005, e.g., observed 1.8% Asian admixture in Poles and 1.2% African admixture in Germans.
(Plaza et al. 2003;
Romano et al. 2003)

lol that's what I was going to say too. He even uses the same words : "without parallel in the rest of Europe..." lol

Actually, if you look at the "history" of that wikipedia article, you'll see that it was recently modified. These machupichus never give up. :useless:

This thread has been viewed 81488 times.

Back