Why did the Normans invade England ?

I should call Vikings as traders, and their temporary bases as markets.

There is a strong element of that, and they had superb diplomatic skills in order to be able to trade down river into modern Russia.

However as raiders, they also had temporary bases in which to launch further raids into neighbouring territory, as witness their forays into Anglo Saxon England as well as Ireland.

Superb diplomatic skills, or perhaps an early variant of gunboat diplomacy. I don't know if the archaeological record has led to any firm conclusions either way.

It was, as the Normans themselves admitted, conducted "over hidden relics" and no witnesses for this 'oath' were ever named- was it a public oath- and in the open air(Bayeux tap)?

English custom was that they were always sworn on a gospel book, (Normans say Harold swore manibus junctis- feudal fashion) so was it 'under duress' or procured by deceit, which would render it worthless anyway, certainly outside of Normandy?

William of Jumieges never went as far as stating that Harold had sworn what later the Normans said he did.

Normans had drive and ambition- also a voracious reputation for chicanery and inventing outrageous claims- Dudo of St.Quentin- historian of the early dukes- had the gaul to state that William Longsword and Richard the Fearless reigned over "half the world".

Was William's daughter -Adeliza- 'promised' betrothal to Harold? A way of binding him to the duke, whatever, this seemed to have fallen through (did Harold refuse?)

The Normans state that Harold coveted the crown himself – even if true, why would H willingly and freely swear this oath, thereby ruling HIMSELF out of the succession as the most qualified candidate in or out of England, socially and Politically?

But instead a storm blew his embassy off-course and unluckily into William hands (via Guy of Ponthieu) and, knowing all too well his possible fate as a 'guest'/captive, grim gaols that meant a death sentence and penchant for brutality- especially poisonings, (a nephew of King Edward, earl Ralf's younger brother, Walter, Count of Mantes, and his wife, died prisoners this year in William gaols- poisoning rumours. But the two nobles were never seriously considered by Edward as successors)
William’s father Robert ‘the Devil’ had been suspected of poisoning his own brother Richard, after all?

Harold seems, in my view, to have gone along with the deed whilst as a Norman "guest" for his own 'safety', of his entourage and that also of long-term Norman captors and kinsmen Wulfnoth & Hakon etc, knowing how worthless the "sworn oath" meant in English eyes and how he could easily shrug it off when back home, under English law?

Only the King & Witan could decide the succession- not some 'hidden' Norman verbal oath- esp under duress (only the Normans ever stated that Harold was in any danger!), thus invalid in English contemporary eyes!

In Seville, at that time the Al-Andalus beat them to the Vikings, they cut their heads and hung them from trees, a group survived until the slaves were converted to Islam, then won freedom and stayed for some villages in the province of Seville, I think it spent as much calmer to manufacture cheese and milk-based foods.

It was, as the Normans themselves admitted, conducted "over hidden relics" and no witnesses for this 'oath' were ever named- was it a public oath- and in the open air(Bayeux tap)?
English custom was that they were always sworn on a gospel book, (Normans say Harold swore manibus junctis- feudal fashion) so was it 'under duress' or procured by deceit, which would render it worthless anyway, certainly outside of Normandy?

William of Jumieges never went as far as stating that Harold had sworn what later the Normans said he did.

Normans had drive and ambition- also a voracious reputation for chicanery and inventing outrageous claims- Dudo of St.Quentin- historian of the early dukes- had the gaul to state that William Longsword and Richard the Fearless reigned over "half the world".

Was William's daughter -Adeliza- 'promised' betrothal to Harold? A way of binding him to the duke, whatever, this seemed to have fallen through (did Harold refuse?)

The Normans state that Harold coveted the crown himself – even if true, why would H willingly and freely swear this oath, thereby ruling HIMSELF out of the succession as the most qualified candidate in or out of England, socially and Politically?

But instead a storm blew his embassy off-course and unluckily into William hands (via Guy of Ponthieu) and, knowing all too well his possible fate as a 'guest'/captive, grim gaols that meant a death sentence and penchant for brutality- especially poisonings, (a nephew of King Edward, earl Ralf's younger brother, Walter, Count of Mantes, and his wife, died prisoners this year in William gaols- poisoning rumours. But the two nobles were never seriously considered by Edward as successors)
William’s father Robert ‘the Devil’ had been suspected of poisoning his own brother Richard, after all?

Harold seems, in my view, to have gone along with the deed whilst as a Norman "guest" for his own 'safety', of his entourage and that also of long-term Norman captors and kinsmen Wulfnoth & Hakon etc, knowing how worthless the "sworn oath" meant in English eyes and how he could easily shrug it off when back home, under English law?

Only the King & Witan could decide the succession- not some 'hidden' Norman verbal oath- esp under duress (only the Normans ever stated that Harold was in any danger!), thus invalid in English contemporary eyes!

Welcome, Hus! (y)

In Seville, at that time the Al-Andalus beat them to the Vikings, they cut their heads and hung them from trees, a group survived until the slaves were converted to Islam, then won freedom and stayed for some villages in the province of Seville, I think it spent as much calmer to manufacture cheese and milk-based foods.

But Hollywood never made the film, always gave an excellent treatment to the Vikings and other pirates, is what has the power, who do good publicity and always want the protagonist to whom you want, even in a time not protagonist.

Don't waste your time pretending that you're spaniard and that you're here for constructive reasons, TROLL. :giggle:

Lynx noticed that you're E1b, not Celtic enough. I guess you're band from Spain. lol

Don't waste your time pretending that you're spaniard and that you're here for constructive reasons, TROLL. :giggle:

The troll you, I have fried a private message because think I am a South American anti-Spanish and Spanish I, I hate the lie, that has taught me that my mother, so if you are continually harassed by private messages, going to get anything, I'm a tough cookie and does not affect me the least, the problem you have you accusing me of being Aristander and I told you Charlie and I'm proud to be Spanish.

Lynx noticed that you're E1b, not Celtic enough. I guess you're band from Spain. lol

LeBrok self-projecting her racism on others once more.

Most likely I have noticed that Carlitos always connect to the forum during the american daylight hours... that doesn't make sense unless he is an european vampire.

His spelling mistakes at writing spanish are also very revelatory.

Looks like LeBrok made another friend among the anti-spanish trolls... well it is not the first time, right darling? Congratulations.

Cheers Chris, looks like I stepped into a war zone? :wary2::LOL:
Seems that way! Appears to have some history. There's lots to learn from this site, Hus. Very informative.
Cheers, Chris:beer1:

Thanks, Chris, I'll peruse the site and see...

If you bump into some bother, we'll lock shields and start a wall. :banghead:

Aren't deceit, treachery and strength of will the key features of a ruler, especially in those days? William out-Viking'ed Ole Harold, that's for sure.

And apparently, King Edward had something to do with it too.

Exactly the right story.No one knows about these facts and people just use to say that they have some enmity with British.You know about the real story.Please stay in touch.I want to make persons like you my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that in spite of king Rollo being dead 90 years before the Norman invasion of England and the Normans being reasonably frenchified by that time, they still had the land-looting instinct of their germanic tribe alive and staying in France where the king had a lot of power limited their desire to control more land. So they decided that the Duchy of Normandy was too small for them and fled to England where there was a monarchy less powerful than the French one.

Edward the Confessor was Williams cousin and it was said that he had promised the throne to him. When he died Harold seized the throne, although he as in line for it in his own right I believe. Thus William set out to take the throne he was promised and of course that led to 1066 the one date everyone seems to remember, The Battle of Hastings.

vikings.png

Something is slightly awry about this map. Although it is meant to show Viking/Scandinavian settlement throughout Europe I have the feeling that (outside of Scandinavia itself) those settler areas depicted for the European mainland boast nothing like as many Viking placenames as found in the answering Viking settler areas mapped out for the British Isles.

Cannot speak for Eastern Europe, but reckon for the rest of Europe only Angeln and Normandy come anywhere near the British Isles in Viking settlement going hand in hand and backed up with Viking placenames.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 72517 times.

Back