Irish names in england

motatalea

Reaction score
1-I notice that there are alot of Irish names in english people like Bradley,Foley,Connors.....extra ,Now My question is why there are alot of irish names in english people? Is this because of norman invasion or not?I mean before norman invasion ,Were there lots of irish names in english people as much as modern days?

2-Which countries in modern days that were under roman empire? Was belgium (including flander part) under the roman controll?

3-Which countries in northern and western europe which that never been conquered by romans?

1.It's because Great Britain is a physically small place,and people move around more than they used to.
Job opportunities,etc.

1-I notice that there are alot of Irish names in english people like Bradley,Foley,Connors.....extra ,Now My question is why there are alot of irish names in english people? Is this because of norman invasion or not?I mean before norman invasion ,Were there lots of irish names in english people as much as modern days?

These islands have been exchanging people and tribes way back into pre-history. The people of so-called 'Dark Ages' traded with Byzantium and the so-called 'Celts' traded with Greeks and Phoenicians. No surprise then, that people of the islands also travelled and moved to areas of opportunity.

Many Irish families also moved here during the Industrial Revolution, to provide labour for the massive expansion of industry in the 1800s.

The average English, Scots, Irish and Welsh person has much more in common culturally, than they have differences.

For the same reason that there are many Irish names in America and Australia: Immigration. Many Irish people emigrated to Britain in the 1800's in particular from the 1840's onwards and also during the 1950's and 60's to find work and escape starvation. So many in fact emigrated to Liverpool that the modern liverpool accent has been heavily influenced by Irish accents (particularly the Dublin accent).

to amswer your question about the Roman Empire: Ireland was never invaded or conquered by the Romans. I dont think that Scotland, the Scandinavian countries or much of Germany were either.

This thread has been viewed 8657 times.

Back