Franks and the name of france

motatalea

Reaction score
I have read that the Franks worked for the Romans. Many of them served as soldiers to defend the borders of the empire against other Germanic tribes. The Franks became culturally Roman. Some of them even become Roman senators and consuls . My question now is how they were working under the romans and served under roman`s power and then they gave their name to france?I mean how they gave their name to france and in the same time they were something like slaves under the romans?

After the Roman Empire collapsed under the pressure of the Huns, Goths, Vandals, etc., Western Europe was divided in many new Germanic kingdoms. The Franks founded their own kingdom around Belgium (first capital in modern-day Tournai). The Latin name of their kingdom was Francia. The Franks fought against the Burgundians and the Visigoths who had created kingdoms in Gaul, and the kingdom of Francia soon took over the whole of modern France and Belgium + parts of Germany. You can see the full expansion map here.

After the Roman Empire collapsed under the pressure of the Huns, Goths, Vandals, etc., Western Europe was divided in many new Germanic kingdoms. The Franks founded their own kingdom around Belgium (first capital in modern-day Tournai). The Latin name of their kingdom was Francia. The Franks fought against the Burgundians and the Visigoths who had created kingdoms in Gaul, and the kingdom of Francia soon took over the whole of modern France and Belgium + parts of Germany. You can see the full expansion map here.

1-so is it right then that franks who invaded roman gauls were speaking latin and not germanic dutch?

2-so salian frankish people were having some germanic blood but they were mostly romanised in language ,law and culture right?

3- so is it right that salian franks owe their strength than other germanic tribes to the romans?

4-last but not least ,were the normans the same case like franks ? i mean did romans conquered normandy and made normans romanised like franks?

1-so is it right then that franks who invaded roman gauls were speaking latin and not germanic dutch?

The upper classes spoke Latin, but many peasants continued to speak their Germanic tongue.

2-so salian frankish people were having some germanic blood but they were mostly romanised in language ,law and culture right?

Yes.

3- so is it right that salian franks owe their strength than other germanic tribes to the romans?

The Franks learned a lot from the Roman for their military technology, political system, but they also kept part of their own culture. It is this unique blend that gave them an advantage over other Germanic tribes.

4-last but not least ,were the normans the same case like franks ? i mean did romans conquered normandy and made normans romanised like franks?

The Roman Empire ended in the 5th century. The Normans only settled in France in the 10th century. There were no longer Romans there. It was medieval France, and people spoke French. The Normans decided to adopt French language and culture in the same way as the Franks adopted Latin and Roman culture.

The upper classes spoke Latin, but many peasants continued to speak their Germanic tongue.

Yes.

The Franks learned a lot from the Roman for their military technology, political system, but they also kept part of their own culture. It is this unique blend that gave them an advantage over other Germanic tribes.

The Roman Empire ended in the 5th century. The Normans only settled in France in the 10th century. There were no longer Romans there. It was medieval France, and people spoke French. The Normans decided to adopt French language and culture in the same way as the Franks adopted Latin and Roman culture.

Thank you too much Mr Maciamo ,Thanks for your rich knowledge ,take care for your self

Hej,
I don't think so, the french kings spoke their germanic language until 987 and Huges Capet, or at the very least until 881 since the Ludwigslied, written in old high german was for the king, not for the peasants who may have not be a majority of frankish speakers, or picardy and the north of france would have continued with a germanic language ? The franksih speaking peasans must have stayed in what are today the germanic speaking countries : a part of belgium, the netherlands and germany.
The oaths of Strassbourg (832) show that the "westerns" soldiers (those of Charles) spoke an early french language while the soldiers of Louis spoke a germanic language.

I think the frankish kings never ruled much, they allied the church who was the real power and who spread latin so much into was is today France. You know, the winners write history, and who wrote that history ? The church, in latin.

I think the frankish kings never ruled much, they allied the church who was the real power and who spread latin so much into was is today France. You know, the winners write history, and who wrote that history ? The church, in latin.
The Frankish kings actually rule their country, obviously more in the first period (from Clovis to Charlemagne) than after.
The church was not responsible of the Latin spreading. Gaul was practically Latinized before Clovis, and it's the main reason why the German language could not prevail against Latin (which was also spoken by the Frankish elite) as the Franks were a very small minority.
Then the church has certainly strengthened the use of Latin.

Yes, and the other side: it left in some sense a (cultural) divided country.....Belgium.

During the decline of the western Roman Empire, the empire began to rely on Germanic tribes from north of the Rhine to settle south of the Rhine within the empire in return for military service under Rome. As Rome weakened these Germanic tribes became independent of Roman authority. Some of the tribes united under their own commander and became known as Franks. The Franks under Clovis brought the whole of Roman Gaul under their control. I suspect my most recent marker Y18238 may be Frankish.

During the decline of the western Roman Empire, the empire began to rely on Germanic tribes from north of the Rhine to settle south of the Rhine within the empire in return for military service under Rome. As Rome weakened these Germanic tribes became independent of Roman authority. Some of the tribes united under their own commander and became known as Franks. The Franks under Clovis brought the whole of Roman Gaul under their control. I suspect my most recent marker Y18238 may be Frankish.

I suspect my current subclade of I-S10350 (not currently listed on YFULL) downstream of I-FGC24357 might be Frankish as well considering my paternal ancestors are from Wallonia Belgium.

We both are downstream of I-Z382 which almost certainly is Scandinavian in origin. You should join the I-Z382 project at FTDNA if you already haven’t done so yet.

This thread has been viewed 14120 times.

Back