Chris

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L48+
mtDNA haplogroup
H
I live in England and admire many things I've read about the Scandinavian nations.

What's it like living there? I know they are all different, but how much so, and how different from living in England and Europe?

I live in the Skåneland (aka Scania). Skåneland consist of the four provinces Skåne, Halland, Blekinge and Bornholm. Skåne, Halland and Blekinge belong to Sweden. Bornholm belongs to Denmark. We want to have our own nation. We are not Swedes or Danes. I live in the part of Skåneland that belong to Sweden. Denmark and Sweden are very different from one another. Scanians are more like Danes. I hate Swedish culture. In Sweden everything is about political correctness and feminism. Sweden might seem like a nice place when you visit as a tourist but it's not.

Well. Im a citizen of Finland. Nice country but cold (in winter with lot of snow).
And I have to warn you about the Finnish legal system which is not on very high level in honesty - even though it seems OK.
Lot of social corruption will be found on the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court will act as the stamp for the decisions without any interest to stydy the cases brought there. And do not bother to make an appeal. Its useless.
It seems every country have teir good and bad points so just make your choice.

Very expensive in Norway, too, and cold in winter. But we have a very nice nature, if you like fjords, fishing, walking in the mountains etc.

I've always been very drawn to these countries, and even moreso the last few years. I don't know if it's because of y-haplogroup identity or because of the faltering condition of my own birth country (the U.S.). Maybe it's the lingering tribal meta-memories. :)

I was seriously considering relocating to one of these nations (specifically Norway, Northern Germany, or Denmark) before I learned of my probable Native American ties. Let's say I'm not a huge fan of my current government and the direction we appear to be heading in. Now I'm somewhat torn because I feel strangely more attached to this side of the Atlantic than I was before because of these new autosomal test results.

P.S. The Finnish people seem friendly, warm, and really full of energy. Maybe it's only the cabin fever. But I have heard great things about the Finns from those who I know that have travelled there. The colder climate of Finland would be extra brutal though.

Last edited:
I've always been very drawn to these countries, and even moreso the last few years. I don't know if it's because of y-haplogroup identity or because of the faltering condition of my own birth country (the U.S.). Maybe it's the lingering tribal meta-memories. :)

I was seriously considering relocating to one of these nations (specifically Norway, Northern Germany, or Denmark) before I learned of my probable Native American ties. Let's say I'm not a huge fan of my current government and the direction we appear to be heading in. Now I'm somewhat torn because I feel strangely more attached to this side of the Atlantic than I was before because of these newer genetic test results.

P.S. The Finnish people seem friendly, warm, and really full of energy. Maybe it's only the cabin fever. But I have heard great things about the Finns from those who I know that have travelled there. The cold would be extra brutal there though.

Sometimes when diasappointed or unsatisfied with ones government etc., it is tempting to move somewhere else. But it can really be a challenge to move from the US to Europe (or vice versa) because of the great differences in politics (incl. taxes), culture, religion, perceving things in genereal - see another thread at this forum about the differeces between USA and Europe. So the best solution in my opinion is to stay and try to contribute to one's country in a positive way, to make it back on foot.

I live in the Skåneland (aka Scania). Skåneland consist of the four provinces Skåne, Halland, Blekinge and Bornholm. Skåne, Halland and Blekinge belong to Sweden. Bornholm belongs to Denmark. We want to have our own nation. We are not Swedes or Danes. I live in the part of Skåneland that belong to Sweden. Denmark and Sweden are very different from one another. Scanians are more like Danes. I hate Swedish culture. In Sweden everything is about political correctness and feminism. Sweden might seem like a nice place when you visit as a tourist but it's not.

What planet are you from?

Its not so different from England. Very cold and still

I was in Malmo in February and it was cold but hardly rained in a week, it was even sunny. Im back here now (Malmo) and there is gorgious sunshine. Is it just a coincidence? or it seems to rain much more in the UK?. UK seems to be more overcast and drizzle. Even the cold in February was fine wearing just a shirt and a Jacket, but have to cover hands and ears

Well. Im a citizen of Finland. Nice country but cold (in winter with lot of snow).
And I have to warn you about the Finnish legal system which is not on very high level in honesty - even though it seems OK.
Lot of social corruption will be found on the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court will act as the stamp for the decisions without any interest to stydy the cases brought there. And do not bother to make an appeal. Its useless.
It seems every country have teir good and bad points so just make your choice.

The previous winter was rainy and plus temps, thanks to global waming. Let's see how this winter is going to be.
I hope for a true winter with freezing temps and snow.

The previous winter was rainy and plus temps, thanks to global waming. Let's see how this winter is going to be.
I hope for a true winter with freezing temps and snow.
If you like freezing and snow come to Calgary Canada. Last two winters were worse than usual. I'm not sure thanks to what?

If you like freezing and snow come to Calgary Canada. Last two winters were worse than usual. I'm not sure thanks to what?
Calgary sounds good, i've always wanted to visit Canada. But many winters here in Finland during the last 15 years have been rainy and warm, probably a direct result of global warming.

Calgary sounds good, i've always wanted to visit Canada. But many winters here in Finland during the last 15 years have been rainy and warm, probably a direct result of global warming.

This past year was one of the warmest on record globally, but after a number of warm years it has been colder than usual here in Canada, probably as a result of a temporary effect in the Pacific Ocean currents. So this coming winter will be colder than usual here in Canada, but it will get warmer here too, in future.

Well I also heard that prices are quite high in Norway,but aren't the salaries very high also?
I understood that social welfare is 1200 Euros per month.

I recommend Bergen in Norway, very nice city but if you have a good job live will be easy :p

It is a difference! People in Denmark is different from Norwegians ( also swedish people). It is difficult to explain though. It could be the topographic differences (denmark is flat & Norway is mainly mountains). I made a quick search on bing, and found this webpage that explains a little about the different countries. Good luck with your moving to Scandinavia. I hope you travel around a bit, and you'll maybe see what I mean about the differences. Obviously the pricing is also very different. Norway is rumored to be f**** expensive - and its true! Nice nature though....

I agree with this! Bergen is very very nice... It have the west-coast charm by far.. Noone of the other cities in the west-coast is the same as this beauty

This thread has been viewed 33412 times.

Back