How Indo-European myths shaped Roman, Celtic, Germanic and Hindu identities

I have a question regarding the words for sky. In kurdish language the word Dêw means demon, which previously meant God in pre-zoroastrianism religion but with the zoroaster reform it changed it's meaning to "false god", hence the new meaning "demon". And what's strange is that kurdish is the only IE language that has the word Daya for mother instead of a word starting with "m" (but some kurdish dialects still use "mak" or "may"). Yet the kurdish word for sky has no connection to the IE word. But shining might have a word, "tav" or "taw" which is almost like Týr. Some kurdish dialects say "tawsan" for summer.

I have a question regarding the words for sky. In kurdish language the word Dêw means demon, which previously meant God in pre-zoroastrianism religion but with the zoroaster reform it changed it's meaning to "false god", hence the new meaning "demon". And what's strange is that kurdish is the only IE language that has the word Daya for mother instead of a word starting with "m" (but some kurdish dialects still use "mak" or "may"). Yet the kurdish word for sky has no connection to the IE word. But shining might have a word, "tav" or "taw" which is almost like Týr. Some kurdish dialects say "tawsan" for summer.

Daya is not actually the original word for Mother.

Mother was back in the times "May". Not too long ago Daya, which originated from Dayanova?(if I am not wrong), suddenly replaced May. Daya means in ancient Proto Iranian language something like "breast-feeding".

Tav/Taw or more rightly used Tavik is another of these words which changed it's meaning. Originally it meant (and still means) "Heat" (heat of the Sun). But in some Kurdish dialects it changed into the meaning of the sun itself. Interestingly I red somewhere, that this change is observed in Scythian too.

The word "Roj" which has two meanings in Kurdish, "day and sun", original was only the word for the day. It replaced the word "Shems" which is nowadays only used by Yezidis and even is in the form of "Shemsi" another ethnic name of them (because Yezidis have their roots in Mithra cult). Shemsi in Kurdish has also the meaning of sunumbrella.

"tawsan" in Kurdish is not the root of the word for summer. Likely it is a derived form of Taw (Heat).

the word Havin/Hawin fits perfectly into the Kurdish (and Iranian in general) loud-scheme.

in Iranian the Proto Indo European letter "S" turns in Middle Iranian period to "H". Some Kurdish dialects specifically tend to shift the "m" loud into "v or w". Kurdish tends to shift the "e" loud into i while Persian tends to shift it into an "a" as we see in the word "me", which was in proto Iranian "men" and is in Persian "man" while in Kurdish "min" or in short "mi".

So replace the "H" with an "S", the "v/w" with "m" and "i" with "e" in the word "havin" = "samen" there you go the root of "summer" in Iranian.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 55394 times.

Back