Are colder winters setting for good over Europe ?

From what I have read they say that global warming would change the climate by 1-2 degrees over a 50 year period.

So I don't see how these dramtic climate fluctuations we are having this winter can be held up as being related. Most of the time the weather reports can't get their prediciotns right for the following day never mind 50 years.:grin:

1-2 degrees up thanks to Global Warming won't help Europe much if the Gulf Streams moves away. We could lose over 5 degrees with the G.S. and it could be quite sudden, unlike Global Warming.

I don't understand why people say Spain is a hot country. Certainly not in the Winter !!
We have snow every winter in half of the country. Temperatures are minus something specially in Central Spain, and Northern Spain. I would say central Spain is colder than some european countries like Belgium or Netherlands in the winter. Winters are harsh there. The Romans died from freezing in central Spain in their fight against the Celtiberians . This is in the middle of Spain in Soria :

soriaa.jpg

Well, speaking of Global warming, it has been snowing here, and we are officially in the season of spring.

People were getting ready for spring by planting vegetables in their gardens, then big snowflakes fell from the sky in the last few days and all their veges died!:rolleyes:

There was 50 cm of snow at the Franco-Spanish border a few days ago. That's unseen of living memories for mid-March !

It's my impression that Canada had a very mild winter, whereas Europe had a harsh one. I read somewhere that the arctic weather tilted this way this winter, and that this happens now and then. I have no idea. I think that we have difficulties understanding both climate and weather at the moment. Gaia is very complex. This planet is not yet fully explored, and we don't really fully understand viruses, weather, the suns behavior and effects. We can't yet say exactly what is happening, and cannot predict exactly what is going to happen.

I don't dispute that we are affecting the climate. I really hope that the climate change is entirely man made. Then we can do something about it. Otherwise, we are in much deeper trouble. Risks are that all combined wars pale in comparison to what might happen to human societies across the world. The majority of the world populations might just be turned into refugees. In the footsteps of disaster across the world, migration will soar and wars will likely flame up all over the globe.

This is urgent research, and urgent for us to do something about.

But as a side note I wonder Maciamo - when you say that it would be irreversible for thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of years - would the gulf stream still be affected if there is no ice left in the arctic? No doubt, warmer global climate doesn't mean warmer weather everywhere, but if it's so warm that the polar cap melts, would we need the gulf stream to make our climate warm and Europe habitable?

But as a side note I wonder Maciamo - when you say that it would be irreversible for thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of years - would the gulf stream still be affected if there is no ice left in the arctic? No doubt, warmer global climate doesn't mean warmer weather everywhere, but if it's so warm that the polar cap melts, would we need the gulf stream to make our climate warm and Europe habitable?

That's a good point. I don't know if the Gulf Stream would return to normal all by itself was all the ice has melted, or if it requires another event to push it back to its original course.

I'm not sure but I would like a cold winter to descend over Europe again because unlike the cold, there is no respite from the heat even if you are shirtless.

This thread has been viewed 24230 times.

Back