Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L48+
mtDNA haplogroup
H
Maciamo

I understand very little about the details of subclades, etc so would appreciate your current thoughts on L48+.

Your excellent haplogroups and subclades page shows U106 as West Germanic (Frisian, Anglo Saxon, Lombard) and L48+ as Germanic in the broader sense?

A U106/S21+ (the same as L48+?) research group associated with Family Tree DNA says more results are coming in that increasingly associate U106 with Frisia specifically modern Netherlands/Belgium.

Is there any fresh data on L48+? Even if not, I would appreciate your current views on that subclade. Much appreciated.

Best regards

Chris

I wrote that L48 was Germanic, without specifying a region, because I did not have enough data to be more specific. From the little data available, L48 seems to extend from the Black Forest in Germany, though the Low Countries and to the British Isles. I wouldn't be surprised to find a cluster around the Netherlands, but that is just speculation at the moment.

I was confirmed L47+ & L48+, still waiting on further updates. But I can't find much info on these subclads. Is it time for maciamo to re-look at this one for impatient people such as me?? :LOL:

But seriously, I hope more info comes out soon on these subclads. If anyone can shed any light at all on this and the Belgae/Frisian connections I'm sure a lot fo people will be grateful.

I recently learned that I am L48.

My ancestors lived in the 16th century very near to the Belgian coast (which is also were I was growing up). The variant of the West-Flemish dialect we are speaking there differs e.g. in many ways from the dialect of South-West Flanders (my wife's), and shows more resemblance with old english, danish, north hollands, old frisian ... so the typical North Sea Germanic languages (Ingvaeonic). So, I'm interested to know whether L48 might be linked to Frisians (original ones or later ones that assimilated with new comers after the sea level rice till ~400 AD) rather than to Franks. Or is it still too early to address these issues?

Best regards, Wim

I recently learned that I am L48.

My ancestors lived in the 16th century very near to the Belgian coast (which is also were I was growing up). The variant of the West-Flemish dialect we are speaking there differs e.g. in many ways from the dialect of South-West Flanders (my wife's), and shows more resemblance with old english, danish, north hollands, old frisian ... so the typical North Sea Germanic languages (Ingvaeonic). So, I'm interested to know whether L48 might be linked to Frisians (original ones or later ones that assimilated with new comers after the sea level rice till ~400 AD) rather than to Franks. Or is it still too early to address these issues?

Best regards, Wim

I read recently (I can't remember where) that L48 has a very coastal distribution. Here's information from something i posted on another forum. I can't remember if i got the information from this forum or not lol:

These are notes of a discussion on another forum surrounding this article:
http://www.fsigenetics.com/article/S...101-4/abstract

Bear in mind this is a discussion, so while the figures are factual, most of the rest is evidenced opinions (not mine, but ones i would share looking at the information).

I will reword them and put them in bullet points for ease of understanding.

There is also some talk of other haplogroups that is relevant in how they relate to R1b-L48, U106 and the populations that carry/carried them.

Frequencies of R1b-L48 in Flanders are as follows:
-17% in West Flanders
-12% in East Flanders
-11% in Belgian Brabant
-8% in Limburg

-I1 and I1c are 10-16% combined (strongest in the West and weakest in the East).
-R1a is low in most areas at (3-4%), however it is higher in the east (8%), and is very low in the north (1.5%) and on the coast (0.9%).
-R1a would have seemed to have come from the east and not the north or the coast.
-I1 is clearly coastal.
-U106 is much stronger in the north and the west and much more frequent than I1+R1a.
-Much of the Low Countries and neck of Jutland were U106 focused.
-In the typically Germanic trio of R1b-U106, I1 and R1a, U106 seems southern and I1 more coastal.
-One is led to beleive, with this data in addition to other data about U106 and it's neighbours that U106 has been closely associated with Germanic speakers for a long time.
-R1b-L48 is a clearly a coastal grouping of R1b-U106, at least in Flanders.

(Another comments that U106 and it's subclades dramatically fall off at the Germanic speaking and Romance/Celtic speaking borders, a good example being Switzerland - U106 is 18.8% in German speaking NE Switzerland, and 3.7% in French speaking NW Switzerland.)

I read recently (I can't remember where) that L48 has a very coastal distribution. Here's information from something i posted on another forum. I can't remember if i got the information from this forum or not lol:

Also in Germany R1b-U106/L48 is higher at the coast than in the mainland;
Mecklenburg (Baltic coast) = 15.2% U106/L48 131 samples
Bavaria = 9.1% U106/L48 218 samples

Rebala et al 2012

http://bhusers.upf.edu/dcomas/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Rebala2013.pdf

Sound very interesting indeed. Cannot wait to see future results. Thanks also for the Larmuseau et al. paper. Actually I'm one of those guys who moved from West to East Flanders...

L48 is the most common subgroup of U106 in Norway, but they are found "everywhere", not just in coastal areas, even if R1b as a whole is more numerous in coastal areas in Norway. I have so far two ancestral lines that are L48+, and their oldest known ancestors both lived in the inland county Oppland.

Under the new FTDNA L-48 Snip panel I am under Z381>Z301>L48>"636=11"> S23189> A6706> BY3320. So what part of Benelux am I from?

Fresh data- L48>"636=11"> S23189> A6706> BY3320

My first post. I did the FTDNA L48+ SNP Panel and find I am L48>"636=11"> S23189> A6706> BY3320 . Can anyone explain where my twigs place me in the land of the Franks and Germanic tribes? Only 2 other people in FTDNA tree are BY3320 and they don't answer their emails.

At least can some one explain the origon or meaning of the SNP name BY3320 ?
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Maciamo

I understand very little about the details of subclades, etc so would appreciate your current thoughts on L48+.

Your excellent haplogroups and subclades page shows U106 as West Germanic (Frisian, Anglo Saxon, Lombard) and L48+ as Germanic in the broader sense?

A U106/S21+ (the same as L48+?) research group associated with Family Tree DNA says more results are coming in that increasingly associate U106 with Frisia specifically modern Netherlands/Belgium.

Is there any fresh data on L48+? Even if not, I would appreciate your current views on that subclade. Much appreciated.

Best regards

Chris

My Y dna is L-48 of Danish decent from longelang denmark...

My DNA is R1b-L48 according to 23andme. My paternal grandparents were from Bohemia in what is now Northwestern Czech Republic.

By3320

Hi Michael,

I am also a newly minted BY3320 FTDNA tester. Actually my results are from FGC YElite 2.1 but manage through the U106 group. That's all I really have information about BY3320. I'm hoping maybe you have learned more about us and might be able to share a little insight.

Joe

R-L48 here (The Netherlands)
My Dutch colleague (not related in any way) was also R-L48.

I think we found the nest. ;)

This thread has been viewed 28908 times.

Back