What's the origins of the Pasiegos and the Cantabrians ?

Yes, there is a study showing Pasiegos clustering closer to Basques than to other spaniards. As for the haplogroups, yes there are dishonest people out there who manipulate others with no knowledge of genetics, making them believe that frequency of haplogroups is equivalent to admixture levels. But it's not gonna happen in this forum.

You mean autosomal admixtures? Well, these are exactly what they are, 'admixtures'. And as such, and that gets pretty clear when you look at autosomal maps, such admixtures often actually rather correspond wildly to Haplogroups, and there is obviously no 1:1 correlation. For example, there's a rather strong case that R1b is both Northwest European and Mediterranean admixtures.

You mean autosomal admixtures? Well, these are exactly what they are, 'admixtures'. And as such, and that gets pretty clear when you look at autosomal maps, such admixtures often actually rather correspond wildly to Haplogroups, and there is obviously no 1:1 correlation. For example, there's a rather strong case that R1b is both Northwest European and Mediterranean admixtures.
Believe what you want. Autosomally they are similar to Basques, while in haplogroups they have a different profile. There is a more extreme example of that : Poles and Lithuanians are autosomally somehow close (in plots they are close) yet in haplogroups they are very different : There is near 40% N1c in Lithuania while only near 1% in Poland. Now I have to leave, bye.

Yes, there is a study showing Pasiegos clustering closer to Basques than to other spaniards. As for the haplogroups, yes there are dishonest people out there who manipulate others with no knowledge of genetics, making them believe that frequency of haplogroups is equivalent to admixture levels. But it's not gonna happen in this forum.

My theory based on more evidence from TRobb indicates that basques where originally part of the ligurian tribes and they retained their ancient language and HG, while the ligurians had their language slowly replaced by latin/celtic and HG by R1b migrating from anatolia

Believe what you want. Autosomally they are similar to Basques, while in haplogroups they have a different profile. There is a more extreme example of that : Poles and Lithuanians are autosomally somehow close (in plots they are close) yet in haplogroups they are very different : There is near 40% N1c in Lithuania while only near 1% in Poland. Now I have to leave, bye.

that is because lithuanians had finns and letts land/occupy on their coast, while modern poland had norse and germanic

"Believe what I want"? There's no reason to be rude. I'd like to point out that there is ~40% R1a in Lithuania and over 50% R1a in Poland. And with all the differences that there are, they are geographically close, and it should be expect that they should be autosomally close, no? What applies for Lithuanians and Poles should apply for Cantabrians and Basques as well.

I agree we should not classify HG with a race

in big populations, we can find out some links between HG's, mtDNA and autosomals, even if tiny
in little populations, yes, the drift can be very strong and theses links fall down: we have not to exclude links, and we have not to rely to much on them
about PASIEGOS it's evident enough: drift and drift and drift!
E-M81 is about 80%or more in Berber Marocans - it's presence in Spain and Portugal is not from Muslims invasions for the most, but I think it's older (maybe a kind of N-W African Neolithic (Capsian?) and then it's very heavy presence in North Iberia - nothing to do with "Arabs"- the HLA studies seam prove this link between ALL Iberians (Basques too) and Berbers : 'link' is not 'complete similarity' - I don't see old enemies taking refuge in North Iberia without more proofs!
for the so called North-Eastern european HG's we know there was Germanic people in Iberia after the Volkswanderungen (or something like that!) and some R1a could be arrived there from other sources (Hellad) even if I don't believe it: just to be more careful...

At least, something we can mostly agree.

After discussing with a friend and search at google about our genetics, I found this thread (now necropost :p). Giving a little more first-hand information, as pasiego.

Some of the influence of the north-european genes here is because of some people from north europe (not german, scandinavians) migrating here. Spain had a very important cannon-building place around where many scandinavians worked and they probably mixed with people from here. Add this to the isolated geography and bang.
The rest of our origins... no ******* idea, some say some jews were banned from a big town and ended here...

Our "own" language is mostly a very old/outdated Castillian/Spanish, which is by itself also basque-influenced of course, as the language was born just a few kilometers away from our zone.

In any case, E-M81 is pre-Neolithic and Eurasian and needs to be separated from Near-Eastern E, commonly found in the Eastern Mediterranean, NE Africa and the Middle East. The great percentage of E in Iberia is M81. Non M81 E probably amounts to no more than 2-3% in both Spain and Portugal, from what I have been able to research.

what makes you so sure that M81 is pre neolithic? i think you just have to face the fact that the moorish and arab invasion of iberia left its marks up to this day. there was a considerable amount of intermarriage mainly between muslim men and christian women.

https://ballandalus.wordpress.com/2...-dynasties-in-early-medieval-iberia-711-1100/

the berbers and arabs also never stopped to raid the northern christian kingdoms and capture slaves. and as you may know they were able to have as many women as they were able to afford. because of that i think it is likely that big portion of that north african and southeast asian admixture in iberia was introduced rather recently.

This thread has been viewed 43261 times.

Back