European Common Language - The Poll

What is your choice for a single European language?

• English (top 10 world languages)

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Spanish (top 10 world languages)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Portuguese (top 10 world languages)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Latin

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Esperanto

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • German

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A new hybrid

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters
Yes, but all Slavic languages have no strictly 100% rule one letter = one voice.

Even some languages have rules for consonants which can be pronounced as soft and hard. For example 20 consonant letters of the Russian alphabet can have 37 distinct consonant sounds

Early Cyrilic was perfectly suitable for Old Slavic,which even if you spoke today you will choose to write with it,in Serbian those letters that had two sound meaning Latin was added to separate them.
some silent letters were removed in reformation in case of Serbian,Macedonian later i believe,in Russian alphabet they have couple of letters that represents two sounds,Bulgarian Cyrillic is similar.

In case of our Latin alphabet the situation is same one letter one sound.

Early Cyrilic was perfectly suitable for Old Slavic,which even if you spoke today you will choose to write with it,in Serbian those letters that had two sound meaning Latin was added to separate them.
some silent letters were removed in reformation in case of Serbian,Macedonian later i believe,in Russian alphabet they have couple of letters that represents two sounds,Bulgarian Cyrillic is similar.

In case of our Latin alphabet the situation is same one letter one sound.

Yes, in Serbian/Croatian Latin alphabet is same.

Only difference is what 3 voices in Latin alphabet are 2 letters, not one.

Serbian/Croatian Latin alphabet:

nj, lj, dž

Serbian Cyrillic alphabet

љ, њ, џ

Situations are rare in practice where someone who reads Serbian/Croatian Latin alphabet and does not know good language can come in confusion.

For example:

поджанр

In Latin alphabet someone can read:

podžanr as поџанр what is wrong.

Strictly in Cyrillic written Serbian is 100% rule one voice = one sound but not in Latin written Serbian, but fortunately there is very few exceptions in Latin written Serbian, so it comes down to the same.

Last edited:
I chose English, because as what Maciamo said about the language. It kind of acts like a bridge between Romance and Germanic.

Could you explain why? Imagine the amount of words that would have to be incorporated into it to fit with the modern world. I would guess quite a few would have to be borrowed from English. What would you do for television, half from greek, half from latin? Call it a proculvision for it to be precise?
television is actually a half greek- half latin word. "tele" (τηλε-tile)means distant in greek and vision that derives from latin "visio".
So your example is wrong

English. The most important parts of our current civilization--science, academic journals, education, business--are using English. Plus the language is very easy.

English. The most important parts of our current civilization--science, academic journals, education, business--are using English. Plus the language is very easy.
Exactly my thoughts, and half the world speaks English already.

hybrid. What are the prospects of reviving Proto-Indo-European ? I guess more difficult than reviving Hebrew, much more difficult, but if we take the example of modern Hebrew in not claiming to be an exact replica of it's ancient form, and construct an Indo-European language combining the properties of daughter languages, not necessarily PIE, but close enough, name it Neo-Indo-European, or common European, or the common tongue like in game of thrones.

but seriously though no one is going to implement my fantastical solution, so if there would be any common tongue it would probably be English. I imagine English to be the language of humans if they were to colonise a new planet, or if there was a unified world government. my mind slips into fantasy quite easily these days, must be the exams ...

hybrid. What are the prospects of reviving Proto-Indo-European ? I guess more difficult than reviving Hebrew, much more difficult, but if we take the example of modern Hebrew in not claiming to be an exact replica of it's ancient form, and construct an Indo-European language combining the properties of daughter languages, not necessarily PIE, but close enough, name it Neo-Indo-European, or common European, or the common tongue like in game of thrones.

but seriously though no one is going to implement my fantastical solution, so if there would be any common tongue it would probably be English. I imagine English to be the language of humans if they were to colonise a new planet, or if there was a unified world government. my mind slips into fantasy quite easily these days, must be the exams ...
Good luck on exams,,... soon will be over.

Another possibility would be a hybrid between the second Indo-European language of the planet, Spanish which is also a Romance language and German is a Germanic language, although it may already be invented something similar to the English language, as has been said before.

The language of the dominant culture becomes the dominant language. It's the way it's always been, whether it was the Indo-Europeans, the Greeks in the east, the Romans in the west, the Arabs, the Bantus or whomever. It's already happened with English and there's no going back for the foreseeable future.

The language of the dominant culture becomes the dominant language. It's the way it's always been, whether it was the Indo-Europeans, the Greeks in the east, the Romans in the west, the Arabs, the Bantus or whomever. It's already happened with English and there's no going back for the foreseeable future.
I agree. The question is, is there one culture in Europe that is dominant over the others? Back in the times of Louis XIV it was France and all European courts copied Versailles and adopted French for two centuries. Then the Germans tried to prove that they could do better than France and could become the dominant culture and that led to two world wars. Now, thanks to America, English is the dominant language, but the UK is not the core of European culture, and indeed the British see themselves as different enough from the rest of Europe to leave the EU at a time of peace, solidarity and common European struggle against Islamic extremism and Putin's Russia. That brings back French and German as the only two dominant cultures, and the only languages with an official status in at least four EU countries + Switzerland (a Schengen member nonetheless, which is more than the UK after Brexit).

Another possibility would be a hybrid between the second Indo-European language of the planet, Spanish which is also a Romance language and German is a Germanic language, although it may already be invented something similar to the English language, as has been said before.

Creating a hybrid language is a long and arduous process that comes naturally over centuries. Artificial languages never catch up. Look at Esperanto. Then English is already a good Romance-Germanic hybrid.

And why would any European outside Spain want to adopt Spanish? Castillan as it's called in Spain is just a regional language even in Spain, and the Basques and Catalans could drop it for another second language (perhaps French) if they got their long awaited independence.

Creating a hybrid language is a long and arduous process that comes naturally over centuries. Artificial languages never catch up. Look at Esperanto. Then English is already a good Romance-Germanic hybrid.

And why would any European outside Spain want to adopt Spanish? Castillan as it's called in Spain is just a regional language even in Spain, and the Basques and Catalans could drop it for another second language (perhaps French) if they got their long awaited independence.

I agree that creating a hybrid language is an arduous and even unnatural process, the idea was only spcultive, to discuss about it, it is clear that English and its culture are dominant today and this has no backward, like Says Angela.

The Spanish / Castellano if you want is a language that for some century has stopped being regional to speak on different continents and is currently the second most widely spoken European language after the English on the planet and is therefore a global language.

The speculative idea is not that Spanish is spoken throughout Europe, but that of creating a hybrid between Spanish and the most widely spoken language in Europe today that is German.

As for the internal nationalist confilcts of the countries not only occur in Spain and also I do not understand that they have to do with the above.

I agree. The question is, is there one culture in Europe that is dominant over the others? Back in the times of Louis XIV it was France and all European courts copied Versailles and adopted French for two centuries. Then the Germans tried to prove that they could do better than France and could become the dominant culture and that led to two world wars. Now, thanks to America, English is the dominant language, but the UK is not the core of European culture, and indeed the British see themselves as different enough from the rest of Europe to leave the EU at a time of peace, solidarity and common European struggle against Islamic extremism and Putin's Russia. That brings back French and German as the only two dominant cultures, and the only languages with an official status in at least four EU countries + Switzerland (a Schengen member nonetheless, which is more than the UK after Brexit).

It doesn't matter imo. America is still the dominant force in the world. In the heydey of Rome you spoke Latin whether you lived in Britain or North Africa or Israel.

The world is even more inter-connected and global now. You need English for aviation, the internet, science, medicine, business, the academic world etc. Asians, Africans, Latin Americans aren't going to learn English and a European language, even supposing the Europeans could stop squabbling and agree on one.

This ship has sailed unless and until a new superpower takes over.

It doesn't matter imo. America is still the dominant force in the world. In the heydey of Rome you spoke Latin whether you lived in Britain or North Africa or Israel.

The world is even more inter-connected and global now. You need English for aviation, the internet, science, medicine, business, the academic world etc. Asians, Africans, Latin Americans aren't going to learn English and a European language, even supposing the Europeans could stop squabbling and agree on one.

This ship has sailed unless and until a new superpower takes over.
People in the Roman Empire spoke Latin, but Europe is not an American colony yet. And in fact Latin wasn't spoken much in the Eastern Roman Empire, where Greek was the dominant language for administration, and neither were spoken by common Middle Eastern folk.

I don't see the problem with three languages. Everybody does it in Switzerland or Scandinavia, and it didn't turn out too bad for the people.

French is as widespread in Africa as English is. And Indian people have over 20 official languages, so one more one less...

English can remain the international language but that doesn't mean that countries cannot have their own official language(s), even the EU.

In my opinion, speaking many languages is an opportunity and makes culture richer and people more open-minded. We should a name is having a single language replace all other languages. That would be a huge loss for humanity.

Last edited:
I think, that international pan-European language must be Eurōpājóm.

Hej,
I didn't vote, I don't want a common language for the european union. I want the european union dead and every country or group of people speaking their own languages.

I was shocked, that such usefull words, are not useing - but everything is "you" and "your".
thou and thy

Thou and thy mean the same as you and your. What difference would a greater prevalence of two archaic synonyms in spoken English make?

That's exactly why I used it. Because there is no connection, and it makes no sense, but it somehow has meaning in English

In Portuguese it is 'laranja sanguínea'
In French it is 'orange sanguine'

Are Portuguese and French primitive languages too?

Most languages have nouns, particularly those pertaining to animals, geographical features, etc that appear to be compounds of unrelated words. A butterfly is not a fly coated in butter. If you are so intellectually-lacking that combinations of familiar letters/words render you incapable of comprehending a new term, particularly something as simple as 'blood orange', then I'm afraid it is you that is primitive.

I showed you this time how many possibilites have other language - how many words can you create and give them meaning by your own.
In the place of retel you can put any other word, native or borrow, it doesn't matter. But from any word you can create millions new words.
That means, that language, who can do this, is more developed, and this one, who cannot do that, is more primitive.

But what is analitical method? Some think like that: John loves Mary

but when I write: Mary loves John, it means totally differt thing.

And when I write: Mary John loves or loves John Mary - that means nothing.

In fusional language, it is always very precize and almost always has meaning.

Jan kocha Marię.
Marię kocha Jan.
Kocha Jan Marię.
Kocha Marię Jan.
Jan Marię kocha.
Marię Jan kocha.

Every construction has a meaning and in all cases means
exactly the same. There is no doubts: John loves Mary in
every cases. And we need for this only one vowel!

So which tounge is more usefull, developed, precise, rich,
clear, understandable and advanced? Analitic or fusional?

If your language allows you to rearrange words in sentences in any form, without the meaning ever changing, then that would strike me as a primitive feature.

Mary loves John - this informs us of Mary's feelings for John
John loves Mary - this informs us of John's feelings for Mary
John and Mary love each other - both Mary and John love each other (platonic)
John and Mary are in love - both Mary and John love each other (sexual overtones)

It's not hard to understand.

This examples are showing, that such construcions are in the neandethal cave level :)
Simple enumerating words which have no meaning

Neanderthals appear to have been rather intelligent and capable of abstract thought. Perhaps that explains why Anglophones are capable of perfectly understanding meaning through intonation, context and the many nuanced words in our huge vocabulary (with its many near synonyms). In England, a person who needs everything spelling out to them in the simplest, most-mathematical of forms would be considered childlike, cretinous or, in your words, 'primitive'.

Perhaps, one day, Poland will achieve relevancy and its language will supplant English as mankind's lingua franca. Fingers crossed!

This thread has been viewed 106795 times.

Back