With what ancient ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?

My dna testing being autosomal or sex related has confirmed my Northern roots
mainly Northern sea germanic.
Call it Saxon, Frisian or jutish; I guess a bit of Frank too since they were based in my region and I speak a language that has both Nordern zee germanisch and Frankish roots: WestVlaemsch

Who do you identify as your ancestors ? Good question. I have a predisposition towards my mothers paternal line, which is Irish. This can be documented for almost a thousand years. I have no idea of my paternity, but I have fair skin, blue eyes and brown hair. I was stunned to find that my yDNA is D(M174) or, according to some predictors D-M255. These are almost exclusively Japanese. The possibility that my father was Japanese is out of the question, I was born just after WW2 in Australia. I'm still waiting on further test results to try and clarify this.

Who do you identify as your ancestors ? Good question. I have a predisposition towards my mothers paternal line, which is Irish. This can be documented for almost a thousand years. I have no idea of my paternity, but I have fair skin, blue eyes and brown hair. I was stunned to find that my yDNA is D(M174) or, according to some predictors D-M255. These are almost exclusively Japanese. The possibility that my father was Japanese is out of the question, I was born just after WW2 in Australia. I'm still waiting on further test results to try and clarify this.
That's surprising and interesting, isn't it. Welcome to Eupedia toyomotor.

I identify with my primarily Norwegian ancestry, although I of course have a few Danes, Germans, Forest Finns and Dutch among my ancestors around 1650 and earlier. My Family Finder results at FTDNA say I am about 93 % Orcadian and about 7 % Russian/Finnish.

I identify my ancestry primary Hungarian, on maternal side some German roots. My Y-DNA haplogroup J2b* indicates a rather Middle Eastern/Caucasus or Balkan origin.

my ancestory comes from Yorkshire,and im i1as7e so ill say Germanic anglo saxon

I'm R1b-P312 so the Celts for me so much so that I never walk alone. Though I always enjoyed Yiddish culture thanks to comedians like Mel Brooks, recently I found that I have 1.1%-2.3% declared Ashkenazi blood so according to 23andme I must have had a great great great great ancestor who was Ashkenazi. All I got to say about that is L'chaim!

My suggestion is that you read up on kvenland..The old mid eastern realm of the peninsula...there are sagas that tie both Finns "kvens" and Norse together...particularly the ynling saga...great eastern kings that began dynasty's....not to mention rurik who began the kievian rus...another Viking with Finnic roots.

My suggestion is that you read up on kvenland..The old mid eastern realm of the peninsula...there are sagas that tie both Finns "kvens" and Norse together...particularly the ynling saga...great eastern kings that began dynasty's....not to mention rurik who began the kievian rus...another Viking with Finnic roots.

Yes, but how do you see it for people in the Friends section ? Or do you mean that the default Icelander is your best match among the 200+ individuals available for comparison as "public friends" ?

What is strange is that you are closer to this/these Icelander(s) than most Scandinavians would be. Two unrelated individuals from a same country would get about 19 or 20% of similarity at 1MB, not 21.7%. How can you be closer to Icelanders than other Scandinavians or perhaps even some Icelanders themselves ?

Even weirder is that you should have a high similarity with a Finn too. Finns are very different genetically from Scandinavians due to their partial Siberian ancestry and very limited Indo-European admixture (R1a and R1b). All my close matches are Scandinavians or Dutch, but none are Finns. I am closer to Italians and Spaniards than to Finns.

Read about kvenland. The ynling saga...according to which the fairhair dynasty os Norway was founded by a kven "Finn" king.

Finns further east tend to be genetically isolated from other groups...or we're anyways.

For many years I have most identified with the Irish Celts. My mothers paternal line can be traced back to ~2000ybp. I have no idea of my paternity, but was astounded to find that I carry YDNA D21b-which almost exclusively Japanese. I have all European phenotypes and it appears that the Hpg D may have its origins about 700 years ago.

For many years I have most identified with the Irish Celts. My mothers paternal line can be traced back to ~2000ybp.
Could you tell us how you were able to figure it out. Not even queen of England can check her ancestry that far back.
Did you discovered any written records pre 500 AD in Ireland I'm not sure how many documents survived dark ages, so I would claim that not much but few poems and prayers. Perhaps you meant 200 ybp?

I really can't tell it! But maybe, I have Picentes and/or Senones roots.

I have light skin and brown hair, like my father (and my grandmother was reddish with blue eyes), while in my mother's family they mostly have olive skin and dark hair, but my mother has hazel eyes like me.

I don't know if it's useful to know one's features in determining ancestry, though
:ashamed2:

That's strange. In all the Tuscan studies they are far more than 2/3 european:

structurescience.jpg

Well if you consider that around half of these 1/3 Asia minor genes should actually overlap with European genes, since even today people of Asia minor are so, than nothing is strange here at all.

Howdy, first time posting.

I'm actually looking for an ethnicity to identify with since I was adopted and know nothing about my biological parents... So I took a DNA Test on 23andMe but the results are so wide that I guess I get to choose the one I like the most, ha ha:

19.4% Italian
15.1% Iberian
6.9% French and German
2.5% British and Irish
1.5% Scandinavian
12.0% Native American
4.6% Sub-Saharan African

I tried FTDNA and got:

46.84% Finnish, French, Orcadian, Russian, Spanish
5.4% Mandenka, Yoruba
34.20% Adygei
13.92% Columbian, Maya, Surui

I won't even tell you what I got from the admixtures in GEDmatch because I tried them all and each one had different results
=)

So I think I'll pick a new one each month...

I'm actually looking for an ethnicity to identify with since I was adopted and know nothing about my biological parents... So I took a DNA Test on 23andMe but the results are so wide that I guess I get to choose the one I like the most, ha ha:

Y-DNA R1b, mtDNA A2, high percentages Spanish and Native American in autosomal, from Peru, all strongly indicate mestizo ancestry. You also seem to have about 5% black African ancestry mixed in with that. It will be hard to narrow down tribes for the Native American and African components based on the DNA, but I'd definitely guess Spanish as the primary European component and the source of your Y-DNA.

three of my grandparents are from Slovakia and the fourth is an American mix of German, French, Scottish, Irish, Swiss and English. My Y haplogroup says I am R1a and an Autosomal result from Ancestry.com had me listed as 29% Scandinavian, 63% Eastern European, and 8 Percaint uncertain. Growing up in the U.S if you have European background or were born is Europe as I was, a lot of times you just say your European, because a lot of people in the U.S don't really make to big of a difference. however Ive Always thought of myself as being Mostly Slavic with some Germanic and Celtic infulences. After my Autosomal dna test though I just think of myself as Still heavily Slavic but a substantial piece of me as Germanic. Oddly enough I look somewhat similar to known people of Germanic-Slavic ancestry. Like Michael Ballack and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I would also say I am central European.

Hello to all. I am able to trace my ancestry back through my mother to Edward III of England. (George Washington is my cousin, believe it or not). My father's family was 100% German! ...Or, so I thought. I now find the I am J1c* (and possibly part of a new J1c4). I am still German but how did my ancestors get there? I trace them back to 1614 in Baden, Germany. My mtDNA is T. Being new to this any thoughts would be appreciated.

You could be partially Jewish

Really I love history my self, but understanding my ancestors is a huge motivation for that, and then of course I want to identify with them. Also being and immigrant in the U.S I think has made that desire even stronger. I sometimes do just think of myself as an international man, so I could see where your coming from if that's how you think of yourself

This thread has been viewed 294784 times.

Back