With what ancient ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?

Only thing I know for sure is my mtdna group, which is V. And also a result that seems very odd.

AFAIK the global similarity compares you to all reference populations at the 1Kb level. This does not include any friends or public friends. So the my No. 1 ranking with Iceland would be a comparison with the whole reference population.

My Finnish match is actually a known predicted cousin from 23andme. I have looked into this and spoken to her at length via email. We have concluded that it is a distant relationship 1630's possibly during the "Thirty Years War" in Europe where Finnish troops were deployed in battle with mainland European Catholics.

I really don't know why I match Scandinavians closer than they match themselves. I have posted my results in at number of forums including DNA forums and no one seems to have a clue except for the standard remark
"are you sure you are pure Croatian?" I have very high Runs of Homozygosity (ROHs) 68.616% which is higher then most Finns. This tells you that you may be from a bottle-necked population. Coastal Croatia is very mountainous and protected. Perhaps there are pockets where ancient peoples were bottle-necked and interbred extensively. These original people could have been similar genetically to Scandinavians? Or the only other way to explain my high match with Icelanders would be to theorize that there were "recent" (500-1000 years) visits by Viking traders and that they interbred with the locals?

You need to interpret the results carefully as well. If you look at the chromosome map some of the bands are in ancient regions that are common to a lot of Europeans. However even when all of this is subtracted I still end up matching Icelanders better than any other population.

There's various levels of recombination within human groups and individuals. For (remaining) I group, the recombination group is the lowest in general and for you to have higher ROH than finns is amazing. Your individual recombination rate must be near zero (it's controlled by genetics).

This would also explain why you have remained so unchanged while the country around you has changed dramatically, if this is the case.

If so, pretty neat.

I've always lived in Milan, but my parents come from north Apulia, some kilometres away from the town of Lucera, a place that should be interesting from a genetical point of view, as during Middle ages its population reached -they say- the number of 60.000 people and was almost entirely inhabited by the arabs deported from Sicily by "stupor mundi" Frederick II.

I don't know which is my ancestry (the etnicity of north Apulia area is probably a mix of italic-illyrian, with some lombards/normans strains, judging from the somehow diffused phenotypes in the zone).

I only know that when I went to Greece on vacation I felt the ancestral feeling to be definitively at home.

Some of my friends from South Italy that had went to Greece, confirmed me that they felt the same sensation.

As a matter of fact, I think that South Italy is still deeply (in the good and bad) linked to Greece.

I identify my ancestry primary Hungarian, on maternal side some German roots. My Y-DNA haplogroup J2b* indicates a rather Middle Eastern/Caucasus or Balkan origin.

Now I know that my mtDNA haplogroup is U5b2b1b and my autosomal result in Population Finder looks like this:
population finder.jpg

Not quite tipical for a Hungarian! :LOL:

Man do not trust Family Tree for auto, they are really without a clue, most Bulgarians are like 75-80% British and the rest jewish or Egyptian, while on the great site 23andme we are like 99% European 1% Asian or 100% European, mostly Balkan with Italian and East European, so do not even look at this result twice :) Just do the great 23andme, Family Tree is for haplogroups and West Europeans :) They have no samples for us and just make jokes

I am Bulgarian and identify with all Slavs in the world and with the ancient Thracian, I also feel connected with Greeks and Italians. My DNA test has not shown anything to make me change my mind ofc :)

Man do not trust Family Tree for auto, they are really without a clue, most Bulgarians are like 75-80% British and the rest jewish or Egyptian, while on the great site 23andme we are like 99% European 1% Asian or 100% European, mostly Balkan with Italian and East European, so do not even look at this result twice :) Just do the great 23andme, Family Tree is for haplogroups and West Europeans :) They have no samples for us and just make jokes

I'm not going to invest another 100 or 200$ on this! :LOL: I wait for my raw data to come in and check GedMatch, Harappa and other free admixture tools! Anyway, thanks for the advice, not to take FTDNA's PF to seriously! :wink:

I'm not going to invest another 100 or 200$ on this! :LOL: I wait for my raw data to come in and check GedMatch, Harappa and other free admixture tools! Anyway, thanks for the advice, not to take FTDNA's PF to seriously! :wink:

I have my raw data, so I've did Dodecad, HarappaWorld, and Eurogenes tests.
F238654_A2E92D.gifF238654_C412C0.gifF238654_D9BB20.gif

I have different admixture for comparing to populations, but mostly Hungarian and other Eastern European and Balkan populations. What do you think? Which is the best admixture tools from these ones?

Even though i am not full jewish i identify my ancient ancestors as the Ancient Hebrews, mainly because i am Jewish by religion and out of all the admixtures i am my Jewishness is what im most proud of.

Americans have an unsual way of identifying themselves ethnically. Throughout much of the country people, especially the South, people genetically descended from Northwest Europeans simply refer to their ethnicity as "Americans" with no further qualification. All other people in America generally hyphenate a particular race, ethnicity or religion to give distiction follow by "-American". How every American choses to identify himself on the U.S. Census is in iteself a very interesting and much studied topic.

If you ask a 'non-ethic' white in the tire shop or barber shop what his race or heritage is, he will tell you he is "White"
"White Americans" through much of the country, and particularly the South, use the term "White" in several ways that can easily be misunderstood.
Although "White" can be substituted for Caucausian, many Whites use the term as an ethnic distinction. For example, it may refer exclusively to native born American Whites who are generally descended from the British Islands with minor inputs from Germans, France, etc.
White can also mean a Northern European type people to the exclusion of what are sometimes called "ethnics' or "ethnic whites" (in other words, people from another European culture, religion or culture)

American "Whites" generally seem to identify somewhat with their assumed to be native culture (like being Irish, German or Scottish) but strangely almost never identify with England. That is bizarre given the genealogical data white suggests that American Whites and a component of all other ethnicities (such as Cherokees or Blacks) have very substantial amounts of English ancestry.

I strongly identify with my mothers paternal line which is Celtic Irish. DNA Tests tell me that my deep past was anchored in Japan or possibly Tibet(D212a), with more recent sources in Kosovo/Albania.

I identify myself as mostly a British Islesman because I predominately originate from there and I seem to have been attracted in that area, as far as meta-identity goes, I tend to see myself as 2/3 Romano-Celtic and 1/3 Germanic

Americans have an unsual way of identifying themselves ethnically. Throughout much of the country people, especially the South, people genetically descended from Northwest Europeans simply refer to their ethnicity as "Americans" with no further qualification. All other people in America generally hyphenate a particular race, ethnicity or religion to give distiction follow by "-American". How every American choses to identify himself on the U.S. Census is in iteself a very interesting and much studied topic.

If you ask a 'non-ethic' white in the tire shop or barber shop what his race or heritage is, he will tell you he is "White"
"White Americans" through much of the country, and particularly the South, use the term "White" in several ways that can easily be misunderstood.
Although "White" can be substituted for Caucausian, many Whites use the term as an ethnic distinction. For example, it may refer exclusively to native born American Whites who are generally descended from the British Islands with minor inputs from Germans, France, etc.
White can also mean a Northern European type people to the exclusion of what are sometimes called "ethnics' or "ethnic whites" (in other words, people from another European culture, religion or culture)

American "Whites" generally seem to identify somewhat with their assumed to be native culture (like being Irish, German or Scottish) but strangely almost never identify with England. That is bizarre given the genealogical data white suggests that American Whites and a component of all other ethnicities (such as Cherokees or Blacks) have very substantial amounts of English ancestry.

im proud of my English heritage!

as for my Y-DNA results I can identify with the Strathclyde Britons of dark-age Scotland. My Y-dna is the "Scots model" or whatever you want to call it, but certain markers I share are mostly found in other people with surnames and family history that came from the area around Dumbarton,Glasgow, North Ayrshire,Lanark,, etc... which makes sense to me since many of the Ulster-Scots who came to America originated in the western Lowlands of Scotland. And that is consistant with my family history, too.

As for my autosomal DNA results I identify mainly with Romano-Britons/Celts from England and also maybe part of Scotland, as well as Germanic Anglo-Saxons of Britain.

its true what you say and it's a shame really because from what I have read and understand, the English settlers/population that came to the Southern U.S. generally had distinct cultural/regional origins from within England that came to be the dominating influence that contributed to the culture/accents etc... of the American South more than any other groups that settled here.

I especially like the book titled "Bound Away: Virginia and the westward movement" by David Hackett Fisher that tells a great deal specifically about the English settlers of the American South and their impact on it's history and culture.

one reason many American Southerners say they're "American" is because most are greatly mixed with ancestry throughout the British Isles, So ethnic labels like "Irish" or "English", taken separately, only account for part of their ancestry. Maybe a "British-American" ethnic label would fit better, but after the American Revolution, few people wanted to call themselves British in America. After that they started to say they were "American". Another factor is that many people/families who call themselves simply "Irish" or "German" in America came here in the mid-19th century, whereas most Southerners have roots that go back much further and so dont readily identify with any specific European group in a detailed way.

Plus in my experience, White ethnicity has never been important or emphasized in the South to the degree it has been in other parts of America. It was always a person's race that mattered most. The culture of the South came from a blending of various groups, mainly from British Isles (as well as west Africa and Native America) that were greatly mixed on a cultural level.

and because many White Southerners have roots in early colonial America, alot of them simply dont know enough about their own family history to readily identify with any specific European group.

and you're right about the term "White" in America. Someone who might come here from Spain or Portugal may not be seen as White but rather as "Mexican" or hispanic. Americans really are ignorant when it comes to other cultures.

I think it's because early American history was dominated by people of NW European ancestry, and so that is why in America "White" is mainly seen as being of NW European background. I have a friend who is Arab-American. She was born here so she has an American accent. Everyone thinks she is "White" and doesnt even think she is Arab. But her parents, both immigrants from the middle east, are seen as Arabs and not as White by most people they come across.
and her parents dress like westerners, so you cant tell they are Muslim by how they dress either.

she looks just like her father who is Palestinian, yet she is seen as "White" by most people she comes across while both of her parents are seen as "non-White" . It's the dumbest thing, but it's completely true.

and you're right about the term "White" in America. Someone who might come here from Spain or Portugal may not be seen as White but rather as "Mexican" or hispanic. Americans really are ignorant when it comes to other cultures.

Americans have this astonishingly stupid notion of lumping Spaniards and Mexicans (and all Latin Americans) all together, as if they formed one single big race - "Spanish", "Hispanic" or "Latino" - completely ignoring the very different ethnic make-up of these countries.

On the other hand, Americans would never in a million years label Jamaicans or African-Americans as "English" or "Anglo-Saxon", although these peoples speak English, have English names and often have partial English/British ancestry.

Correct; the genetic makeup of Mexicans is predominantly Native American although the modern "mestizo" phenomenon or "mixed", since spanish colonial times has seen the introduction of European genetics into Mexico. It is unbelievably false to genetically class native Americans with European spaniards simply on the basis that they both speak the Spanish tongue. As we know, the Spanish are predominantly west-European with a mild but present Mediterranean substratum (Neolithic haplogroups) whereas the Mexicans traditionally have always been amerinds with a newly introduced (within 500 years) spanish colonial substratum.

I'm from the East of England(as my name suggests) so a mix of Scandinavian and Celtic (Iceni). My admix on K15 shows Sweden and Orcadian as top populations. My Y-DNA is Iberian-Celt, not sure if that comes from the Iceni though. So I identify with the Vikings and the Celts.

I identify myself with Mesolithic hunter gatherers of Europe.

Before I did dna testing, based on genealogical research I figured I was about 40% English, 25% Scottish and Scotch-Irish, 20% Welsh, and 15% German.

From dna testing I've learned that is mostly true except for the addition of some Scandinavian, Finnish, and South Asian, altogether totaling less than 5%.

What I found surprising was my Y-dna ancestry. Being that my oldest known paternal ancestor was born in London, England; I would have thought my ancestry would have been Celtic L21 or Anglo-Saxon U106 especially since many of my closest STR matches were from these 2 groups.

I was surprised to learn last year that I was U152 as it supposedly only makes up less than 9% of English males. Since then I've taken a crash course on Hallstead, La Tene, the Belgae, the Gauls, Romano-British history, etc.

Based on the above, the ancient ethnic group I now most identify with are the Belgae of Britain and the Romano-British.

This thread has been viewed 297058 times.

Back