In Italy, north–south differences in IQ predict differences in income,

Sadly, that was not always the case. Even my dad told me that his family would have nothing but bread most of the time, growing up.

depends how old he is. Maybe during the years of war?. Urban people probably suffered some kind of famine, but definitely not any less then anywhere else in Europe. Agriculture was always plentiful. It all depends on the region and the era. South Italians today eat very well. not fussy food a good variety all fresh and plentiful. Compared to my country Greens and fruits are ridiculously cheap in the shops and markets. I wont forget my cherry feast at 1.99 Euro a kilo on my last visit (not less then 4Euro locally) We import lots of southern Italian produce at double sometimes triple the price you get it there :(

The fact that people drink coffee shows that the environment does play a significant role in intellectual capacity.
;)

Again coffee is to die for. Fresh ground never instant wherever you go.......;).....and the price nearly always right

I get the crappy gas station variety. I need to get a filter and not rely on keureg/dunken d's/mobile mart. It does a beter job at perking me up.

I get the crappy gas station variety. I need to get a filter and not rely on keureg/dunken d's/mobile mart. It does a beter job at perking me up.

No comparison in taste and caffeine boost. I just stick to the morning dose. After that its tea or decafe as I might go overdose and its no good for me :/.....tastes good too :)

Sadly, that was not always the case. Even my dad told me that his family would have nothing but bread most of the time, growing up.

Especially towards the end of WW2 until 1950/53 food wasn't easy available.

I am not saying that in the south of Italy you eat poorly, I just say that poor diet can be a factor among others that can influence the IQ, without referring to anyone in particular.

I am clear that IQ tests should be done between people in an economically and educationally equivalent situation.

For example Italy, as we will compare the situation of northern Italy that is close and even within the most prosperous areas of Europe, although by the simple proximity to the centrality of Europe, with the southern periphery, the economic possibilities of the north are Higher than the south, of course I understand that this is above the IQ, not the other way around.

I am not saying that in the south of Italy you eat poorly, I just say that poor diet can be a factor among others that can influence the IQ, without referring to anyone in particular.

I am clear that IQ tests should be done between people in an economically and educationally equivalent situation.

For example Italy, as we will compare the situation of northern Italy that is close and even within the most prosperous areas of Europe, although by the simple proximity to the centrality of Europe, with the southern periphery, the economic possibilities of the north are Higher than the south, of course I understand that this is above the IQ, not the other way around.

Just my impression:
You can't stand the South Italians.

Just my impression:
You can't stand the South Italians.

Why do you say that? I do not get it.

If, precisely as a peripheral citizen of the European Union, I mistakenly label that periphery with studies on IQ.

Why do you say that?

There are many Countries in the EU, many with internal differences of many kinds.

There are many Countries in the EU, many with internal differences of many kinds.

Let's see, you are Italian, do you agree with the study that says that there is a north-south decline in IQ in your country and this is the cause of economic differences?

let's see, you are italian, do you agree with the study that says that there is a north-south decline in iq in your country and this is the cause of economic differences?

-no- ...........

Well, in principle he agrees with me.

If I understand correct.
then Swiss are the smartest in Europe?
above all others?

I'm not accusing ROS of bashing south Italians (I guess the translator isn't reflecting what he really means) but I'll point out that South Italians/Sicilians are heavily abused across "ethnic" forums. I bet that most of those who spew out slurs against South Italians/Sicilians never met one in person. The full blooded Italian Americans I've come across are very intelligent and compassionate.

Let's see, you are Italian, do you agree with the study that says that there is a north-south decline in IQ in your country and this is the cause of economic differences?

LOL
The economic difference as you wrongly say was the fault of the spanish looting southern italy for centuries, it must be the spanish fault if there is an IQ difference, how many centuries where the spanish there?...................north italy governed themselves and so where economically more sound

LOL
The economic difference as you wrongly say was the fault of the spanish looting southern italy for centuries, it must be the spanish fault if there is an IQ difference, how many centuries where the spanish there?...................north italy governed themselves and so where economically more sound

I seriously doubt that the modern economic disparity between northern and southern Italy is the result of the Spanish Habsburg 'looting' during their rule between the 16th to 18th centuries. Belgium also suffered from Spanish Habsburg rule but it recovered quickly afterwards. Germany and Japan had their cities razed and their economy destroyed at the end of WWII, but they recovered in just a few decades. The problem is in the attitudes. If you keep blaming the past, you can't move into the future.

Assume that there is a difference in IQ between north and south Italians, and assume that this difference is genetic, which is what the author says, then the question is: did this "evolution" of either north or south occur only in the middle ages? or was this difference always present in the genes of the superior ancient Celts of the north and the inferior Greek and Phoenician colonists and natives of Sicily?

I believe that the communication through the translator of google is producing certain interpretations not correct that also do not correspond with what I mean, until I do not perfect my English I think I will not participate more in these forums.

This thread has been viewed 64429 times.

Back