Genetic of Italy (also taken from Wikipedia)

Polako and Dienekes plots :

southwesteurope12.png

southwesteuropebasques1.png

sweu12.gif

atlanticfringe13.gif

europedec82010.png

eurozoom.png

MDS1600.png

Who cares about blue eyes and nordids ?? Wasn't this thread supposed to be about Italians genetics ?

Yes, and? Italians, Portugueses, Spaniards and French cluster together, indeed they are all South-West Europeans so I am not surprised by this result.

Who is trolling about Italians? I'm certainly not complexed. .
)
Well, it's a topic about Italian genetic soo let's talk about Italian people.
I can tell you that among the numerous people of Italian background (there are plenty in France) I know, many have grey-blue eyes.

Also, I have lived many Years In Alsace and Doubs region. I know quite well the North Eastern France phenotypes (also including Lorraine, Burgundy...) and many Northern Italian people match those phenotypes. I suppose R1b U152 has something to do with it. It is recorded by Latin author that Northern Italy (Cisalpine Gaul) suffered massive invasion from Northern Transalpine Gaul so it's not surprising at all to find some similarities between Alsatian and Northern Italian.

Who is she? She looks likes me! I got scared for a second, I thought it was my pic! :LOL: Only I have more oval face and blue eyes (hers look like blue-gray in the pic).

It says that most Italians have not black hair, as people normally think, but brown hair

I don't think any European has real black hair. Very dark brown yes but not black. The only true black haired Greeks I've seen are girls who listen to gothic rock, but the color is fake of course. I didn't see any black haired Italian when I visited Italy either...

Off topic: I noticed in Wilhelm's links that Greeks do not cluster with Turks so this should make people who still support the stupid idea that Greeks and Turks mixed a lot during the Ottoman empire rethink about it...

Who is she? She looks likes me! I got scared for a second, I thought it was my pic! :LOL: Only I have more oval face and blue eyes (hers look like blue-gray in the pic).

I don't think any European has real black hair. Very dark brown yes but not black. The only true black haired Greeks I've seen are girls who listen to gothic rock, but the color is fake of course. I didn't see any black haired Italian when I visited Italy either...

Of topic: I noticed in Wilhelm's links that Greeks do not cluster with Turks so this should make people who still support the stupid idea that Greeks and Turks mixed a lot during the Ottoman empire rethink about it...

She looks like you??
Uhm... I know a few good cafés around here... uhm, I mean just if you should ever come around in this area... we can like exchange phone numbers if you want to... :ashamed2:

)
Well, it's a topic about Italian genetic soo let's talk about Italian people.
I can tell you that among the numerous people of Italian background (there are plenty in France) I know, many have grey-blue eyes.

Also, I have lived many Years In Alsace and Doubs region. I know quite well the North Eastern France phenotypes (also including Lorraine, Burgundy...) and many Northern Italian people match those phenotypes. I suppose R1b U152 has something to do with it. It is recorded by Latin author that Northern Italy (Cisalpine Gaul) suffered massive invasion from Northern Transalpine Gaul so it's not surprising at all to find some similarities between Alsatian and Northern Italian.

Nobody said that some Italians don't have blue or grey eyes. However, they are hardly a majority, even in the north. What's the bid deal about light eyes anyway? I have blue eyes and auburn hair and I don't think that makes me special.

Sybilla said:
It says that most Italians have not black hair, as people normally think, but brown hair
Actually no european country has majority black, but brown or dark-brown.

It's actually rare for any FULL European to have black hair. Espresso brown is usually the darkest color found in much of Europe. You may find a small percentage with true black hair in the Eastern Mediterranean, but that's about it.

I agree. As I said in my post above I haven't seen any people with true black here in Greece or Italy, except for immigrants from Middle East. But even they are not maily black haired. Many are actually dark brown

I agree. As I said in my post above I haven't seen any people with true black here in Greece or Italy, except for immigrants from Middle East. But even they are not maily black haired. Many are actually dark brown

Some of the comments that people post about phenotypes on these threads are absurd. It's like they are trying to create an alternative reality. :LOL:

Last edited:
Some the comments that people post about phenotypes on these threads are absurd. It's like they are trying to create an alternative reality. :LOL:

Stereotypes have always existed. Everyone thinks that Northern Europeans, like Swedes, are almost totaly blond, but as adults they are about 50%.

Spanish and Portuguese are always told that they look like Latin Americans and that they have African dna, Greeks are supposed to be dark mixed with Turks, Italians are told they have high African admixture etc etc. But the reality is far from all that. In Greece we have a saying: when you hear the tree has many cherries take a small basket with you... (loose translation). The only truth is that we are all facing a crisis :grin:

People tend to exaggerate when it comes to stereotypes. Yes Southern Europeans are of course more tanned than Northerns but it doesn't go more than that. Plus, I can hardly tell apart Greeks from Spanish or Italians. When I visited Italy it felt like home, (familiar faces everywhere!) and I always talk Greek to people at summer who turn out to be Spanish tourists.

Italians have various Y-DNA haplogroups, higher variety than Northern Europeans, but still they look completely European to me and their autosomal DNA proves that they are. Same goes for all us southern countries in Europe.

Stereotypes have always existed. Everyone thinks that Northern Europeans, like Swedes, are almost totaly blond, but as adults they are about 50%.

Spanish and Portuguese are always told that they look like Latin Americans and that they have African dna, Greeks are supposed to be dark mixed with Turks, Italians are told they have high African admixture etc etc. But the reality is far from all that. In Greece we have a saying: when you hear the tree has many cherries take a small basket with you... (loose translation :grin:)

People tend to exaggerate when it comes to stereotypes. Yes Southern Europeans are of course more tanned than Northerns but it doesn't go more than that. Plus, I can hardly tell apart Greeks from Spanish or Italians. When I visited Italy it felt like home, (familiar faces everywhere!) and I always talk Greek to people at summer who turn out to be Spanish tourists.

Well said, sister.(y)

She's an Italian dancer born close to Rome. In reality her eyes are blue. Well, if you look like her you are very beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpGHBvCPPE

Spanish and Portuguese are always told that they look like Latin Americans and that they have African dna, Greeks are supposed to be dark mixed with Turks, Italians are told they have high African admixture etc etc. But the reality is far from all that. In Greece we have a saying: when you hear the tree has many cherries take a small basket with you... (loose translation). The only truth is that we are all facing a crisis :grin:

Italians have various Y-DNA haplogroups, higher variety than Northern Europeans, but still they look completely European to me and their autosomal DNA proves that they are. Same goes for all us southern countries in Europe.

Indeed, I agree. I am trying to fight stereotypes.

I will post images of famous people from Italy (so i don't break privacy like people do in other sites.. privacy is important)

From italian Big brother:

Biagio-dAnelli.jpg
davide-roberto-baroncini.jpg
Emanuele-Pagano-Grande-Fratello-11.jpg

Ferdinando_Giordano---14.jpg

Giuliano-Cimetti-Grande-Fratello-11.jpg

1-guendalina-tavassi-01.jpg

GF11_Jimmy-Barba.jpg

Margherita-Zanatta-Grande-Fratello-11.jpg

raoul-tulli-600x450.jpg

GF11_Roberto-Manfredini.jpg

Rosa_Baiano---04.jpg

164877129.jpg

Massimo_Scattarella---19.jpg

MatteoCasnici.jpg

Pietro_Titone---07.jpg

nando-colelli.jpg

Francesca_Giaccari---06.jpg

Giordana_Sali---15.jpg

Ilaria_Natali---22.jpg

Alessandro_Marino---10.jpg

What have all these pictures anything to do with genetics ??

Can someone please explain to me how to read the charts posted in this thread? What does each axis represent?

I agree.

Really? Never met spanish with light (?) eyes.

From what I know the sequence, from the lightest to the darkest, in S.Europe is this:

1)French
2)Southern French/Northern Italians
3)Spaniards/Central Italians
4)Portugueses/Greeks
5)Southern Italians (Calabrians, Sicilians, Sardinians)

The most diffuse racial types in each regions are:

ITALY:
1)dinaricized mediterraneans (not graciles!!!)
2)alpinid mediterraneans and alpinids
3)subnordics and alpino-subnordics
4)atlanto-mediterraneans
5)graciles

HIBERIA:
1)atlanto-mediterraneans
2)baskids or dinaricized mediterraneans

SOURCE: ANTHROPEUROPE

This thread has been viewed 258979 times.

Back