Genetic of Italy (also taken from Wikipedia)

julia90

Passione Mediterranea
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Tuscan-Italian-(European)
mtDNA haplogroup
H5b
First my thoughts and personal opinion on our genetic:

Italy is a southern european country; therefore as one of those it belongs greatly to the mediterranean world; it's like the opposite of sweden but in the same way it's a refuge for mediterranean phenotypes, and many mediterranean types are found.

gracile med mostly, some tall ones, and many with a south eastern vibe.

italy is in the centre of mediterranean europe, therefore it received inputs from many part of southern europe, a great part of it belongs to the east med basin type, expecially in southern italy where in the past were greek colonies, the etruscans in tuscany that came from anatolia and arrived there from the crescent valley (tigri/eufate) i think.
the arab influence is scarce and restricted to some place of sicily.

Recent genetic studies confirm all that i've said: Italy is collocated in southern europe and clusters between the iberians (spain/portugal) , and in some studies also with southern France and greece; northern italy is towards the iberian cluster and southern italy towards the greek one.

maps:

people near italy: Spain/Portugal, France, Switzerland, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Macedonia
ancestor_map_x220.jpg

genticmapofeurope.jpg

europevariation-752360.jpg

taken from Wikipedia:

During prehistory, Italy was populated by different but very similar Indo-European groups, later collectively listed amongst the Ancient peoples of Italy, of whom the Italic one was predominant.
Not all of these various peoples were linguistically or ethnically closely related. Some of them spoke Italic languages, others spoke Greek because of the arrival of Hellenic colonists, while others belonged to another Indo-European branch (Ligurian, Venetic, Lepontic, Messapian) or were non-Indo-European (Etruscan, Raetic).
The identity of a people, as well as being characterized by notions of culture is also characterized by processes of genetic evolution. Following scientific research carried out by dutch genetists, Italy has proven to be one of the last two remaining genetic islands across Europe (along with Finland), this due to the presence of the chain Alpine mountain that, over the centuries, has prevented large migration flows aimed at colonizing the Italian lands.

• The modern man appeared during the Upper Palaeolithic. Specimens of Aurignacian age were discovered in the cave of Fumane and dated back about 34,000 years ago. During the Magdalenian period the first men from the Pyrenees populated Sardinia [1].
• During the Neolithic farming stable is introduced by people from the east and the first villages are built, the weapons become more sophisticated and the first objects in clay produced.
• In the late Neolithic era the use of copper spreads and villages are built over piles near the lakes. In Sardinia, Sicily and part of “Continental Italy” the Beaker culture, which probably represents the western branch of the Corded Ware culture, also spreads from North-West Europe,[2].
• During the Late Bronze Age in Italy appears the Urnfield or Villanovan culture characterized by the typical rite of incineration of the bodies originating from Central Europe, the use of iron spreads [3]. In Sardinia the Nuragic civilization flourishes.
• From the 8th century BC Greek colonists settle on the southern coast and in Sicily and found cities, initiating what was later called Magna Graecia. In the 5th century Celtic tribes from continental Europe settled in Northern Italy. The Etruscan civilization developed on the coast of Tuscany and Latium.
• With the Fall of the Roman Empire different populations of German origin intruded into Italy, the most significant was that of the Lombards, who will try to unify politically the “Boot of Italy”.

During the Late Republic and throughout the Imperial period in Italy there was a process of genetic homogenization among the Italian peoples (those other peoples whom inhabited the Italian Peninsula) and the Romans. With the founding of new towns and the colonization of lands in Cisalpine Gaul and southern Italy, there was a significant migration on both the two poles of the Peninsula. The Romans encouraged the migration, as sought to destabilize local governments through forced migration. The Romans, realizing that Rome, meaning the city, could never alone monitor dozens of different peoples, with some initial resistance (which then caused the Social War), decided to extend Roman citizenship to all Italian peoples (with some exceptions) was the first step towards Rome understood not as only a city that dominated the world, but as Italy, which extends its domains throughout Europe. Following the Social War the remaining native population (Celts, Venetics, Oscans, Umbrians, Sicilians, the Greeks, Etruscans, etc. ..), obtained citizenship and mingled with the Roman settlers. Romanization in central Italy had been successful, so much so that many politicians and Roman writers came from that moment from Marche, Abruzzo and Umbria. Greek colonists in southern Italy, which coexisted with Italic peoples, were also immediately Romanized and colonized. In addition Northern Italy was Romanized.[4][5]. The phenomenon of Roman colonization in Italy was held for nearly six centuries and blocks of 6,000 households (30,0000 individuals on assumes) were moved from South to North and vice versa, descendants of Roman settlers living in the north (some times with good amount of gallic genes and Etruscan) were moved to South so flows from North to South lasted for centuries.

Although Sardinians also do not constitute a homogeneous population, Sardinia has unique genetic composition, when compared to other Italian, European and Mediterranean populations.[22] Migration from the Iberian peninsula, rather than southern France or Liguria, may have resulted in a common Y-chromosome haplogroup I being present.

Italians aren't just Meds tall and short but also Alpinid especially in the North, with a few Nordids and partial Nordids.

about the dinarics you are right, they appearence (that of classical dinarics) is similar to mediterraneans or southern european phenotypes, expecially the dinarid forms toghether with mediterranean the eastern med type.

Genetically, Southern Italians are substantially more Near-Eastern compared to Northern Italians. N. Italians cluster with iberians (Spaniards and Portuguese). Spaniards and Portuguese also cluster with the French. Southern Italians are close to Greeks, although Northern Greeks cluster more with Balkan population groups.

Mediterraneans? Nordids? Alpinids? Dinarids? Would someone please define what you are talking about?

[wew, something is getting hot here!]

Mediterraneans? Nordids? Alpinids? Dinarids? Would someone please define what you are talking about?

They are phenotypic descriptions from old physical anthropology texts. These terms are only moderately useful.

Last edited:

It's pseudo-science. People keep saying that north-italy has "nordids" yet in all the autosomal studies the Portuguese and Spaniards always show more nothern european component than North-Italians. This is the clustering situation in Europe :[FONT=&quot] http://oi52.tinypic.com/335gmd4.jpg

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

they are old terms, i too think it's better to speak about genetic clusters, that are scientific.

Oh look, a troll! Let's speak a bit of Italian, ok? Italians all graciles? :confused:

in northern italy you see people of "nordic" appearence mostly along the alpine chain.

Almost all people of Italian background I know have fair eyes (blue but mostly grey). All of them are of course mixed French so they can have inherited fair eyes from their French side but I never see the same with people of Spanish background for instance

...All of them are of course mixed French so they can have inherited fair eyes from their French side but I never see the same with people of Spanish background for instance

Well in order to have fair eyes you need to get the gene from both parents since fair eyes are caused by recessive genes.

If the Italian parent doesn't have the gene for lets say blue eyes then even if the French parent has very light eyes the kids will not have blue eyes. So if the kids get to have fair eyes it means both parents carry the gene. This means that the Italian parent also carry the gene for fair eyes if your mixed friends have light eyes.

Well that was a bit simplified but what I mean is that for recessive genes both sides of the family must have the gene in order for it to appear in the kids' phenotype.

This is a nice tool that predicts eye color (of course the prediction cant be completely accurate cause as they say in the site the mechanism of eye color inheritance is not 100% known) http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html but if you experiment a bit you will see the chances are pretty low to get blue eyed kids with only one family having the gene. So both sides must have it

Almost all people of Italian background I know have fair eyes (blue but mostly grey). All of them are of course mixed French so they can have inherited fair eyes from their French side but I never see the same with people of Spanish background for instance

I guess you only know a handful of Italians.

Spain has ~ 35% light eyes, not that much less than France.

Last edited:
It's pseudo-science. People keep saying that north-italy has "nordids" yet in all the autosomal studies the Portuguese and Spaniards always show more nothern european component than North-Italians. This is the clustering situation in Europe :[FONT=&quot] http://oi52.tinypic.com/335gmd4.jpg

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

The only region in Italy where you encounter more "Nordid" types is in the Alpine fringe. Many "Nordid" Italians are actually more Alpinid.

Last edited:
By the way, the pink circles next to France are also spanish..See ES2

Livi made probably the largest hair and eye pigmentation survey of Italy and only about 31% of them were blue/grey eyed. Italians are not majority blue/grey-eyed.

Many Italians have recessive light eyes. I have black eyes for exemple (a very dark brown), but 3/4 of my grandparents had blue or emeraud green eyes so surely I have recessive light eyes.
I have also noticed that when an Italian mixes with a Northern or central European, their sons look more northern than Italian. They are usually light haired and light eyed.

I guess you only know a handful of Italians.

Spain has ~ 35% light eyes, not that much less than France.

The only region in Italy where you encounter more "Nordid" types is in the Alpine fringe. Nordid Italians are actually more Alpinid.

How ignorant you are about Italians? Why do you still continue to speak about things that you dunno? You surealy are a complexed Portuguese becouse everyone knows that Greeks and Portugueses are the darkest peoples in Europe and every graphic confirms that (with all the respect for these two peoples that I like, but I don't like when they start to troll about Italy).
The alpinid element exists also in central and South Italy and nordid Italians belong to the Alpinid-subnordid or subnordid typology, see it at anthropeurope. A mix of baltic, neodanubian and alpinid elements. That's also why I say that Nordid Italians look more germanic than slavic or celtic (like Nordid Spaniards).
Some exemples of Nordid Italians:

flavia_vento_ansa.jpg

34212.jpg

wild_fiammettacicogna.jpg

If I had to put these 3 on a map, I would choose East Germany/Austria and Denmark for the first one.

By the way, the pink circles next to France are also spanish..See ES2

I don't think these schemes are reliable. According to this:

Europegenetics.jpg

French are closer to Italians than to Portugueses, although Italians are closer to Swisses than to French.

Livi made probably the largest hair and eye pigmentation survey of Italy and only about 31% of them were blue/grey eyed. Italians are not majority blue/grey-eyed.

On the avarage 31% is good, but light eyes are not distributed in the same proportion in the whole peninsula.

This scheme is about the number of people with brown hair in Italy From dark brown to light brown/dark blonde) .
It says that most Italians have not black hair, as people normally think, but brown hair and that Northern Italy has almost the same distribution of light hair than central Italy. To change is the South, where black hair are more on the avarage, and Sardinia, where most people don't have brown hair. These scheme anyway lacks to specify what colour have the other people who don't have brown hair: blonde? Red? Black? It says anyway that most Italians (national avarage 60,1) have brown hair.

494px-Brown_hair_Italy.png

The percentage of light eyes in Italy par region is this:

Veneto/Friuli 41,4%
Piemonte/Valle d'Aosta 40%
Lombardia 37,2%
Liguria 29,6%
Emilia-Romagna 31,2%
Umbria 32,8%
Toscana 31,5%
Marche 31,3%
Lazio 26,2%
Abruzzo/Molise 28,5%
Campania 25,6%
Puglia 26,4%
Basilicata 23,1%
Calabria 19,6%
Sicilia 23,7%
Sardegna 13,9%

I live in a region where more than a person on 4 has light eyes but many more have recessive light eyes.

Many Italians have recessive light eyes. I have black eyes for exemple (a very dark brown), but 3/4 of my grandparents had blue or emeraud green eyes so surely I have recessive light eyes.
I have also noticed that when an Italian mixes with a Northern or central European, their sons look more northern than Italian. They are usually light haired and light eyed.

How ignorant you are about Italians? Why do you still continue to speak about things that you dunno? You surealy are a complexed Portuguese becouse everyone knows that Greeks and Portugueses are the darkest peoples in Europe and every graphic confirms that (with all the respect for these two peoples that I like, but I don't like when they start to troll about Italy).
The alpinid element exists also in central and South Italy and nordid Italians belong to the Alpinid-subnordid or subnordid typology, see it at anthropeurope. A mix of baltic, neodanubian and alpinid elements. That's also why I say that Nordid Italians look more germanic than slavic or celtic (like Nordid Spaniards).
Some exemples of Nordid Italians:

flavia_vento_ansa.jpg

34212.jpg

wild_fiammettacicogna.jpg

If I had to put these 3 on a map, I would choose East Germany/Austria and Denmark for the first one.

I don't think these schemes are reliable. According to this:

Europegenetics.jpg

French are closer to Italians than to Portugueses, although Italians are closer to Swisses than to French.

On the avarage 31% is good, but light eyes are not distributed in the same proportion in the whole peninsula.

This scheme is about the number of people with brown hair in Italy From dark brown to light brown/dark blonde) .
It says that most Italians have not black hair, as people normally think, but brown hair and that Northern Italy has almost the same distribution of light hair than central Italy. To change is the South, where black hair are more on the avarage, and Sardinia, where most people don't have brown hair. These scheme anyway lacks to specify what colour have the other people who don't have brown hair: blonde? Red? Black? It says anyway that most Italians (national avarage 60,1) have brown hair.

494px-Brown_hair_Italy.png

The percentage of light eyes in Italy par region is this:

Veneto/Friuli 41,4%
Piemonte/Valle d'Aosta 40%
Lombardia 37,2%
Liguria 29,6%
Emilia-Romagna 31,2%
Umbria 32,8%
Toscana 31,5%
Marche 31,3%
Lazio 26,2%
Abruzzo/Molise 28,5%
Campania 25,6%
Puglia 26,4%
Basilicata 23,1%
Calabria 19,6%
Sicilia 23,7%
Sardegna 13,9%

I live in a region where more than a person on 4 has light eyes but many more have recessive light eyes.

Who is trolling about Italians? I'm certainly not complexed. Maybe you are the one who is complexed. All I'm doing is pointing out phenotypic exaggerations about various ethnic groups, including Italians. Autosomal genetic studies show clearly how Iberians, Italians and others cluster. You are hardly proving these studies wrong with your distorted, misleading posts. Grow up.

Last edited:
Who cares about blue eyes and nordids ?? Wasn't this thread supposed to be about Italians genetics ?

This thread has been viewed 258973 times.

Back