Roman mtDNA?

Stev

Reaction score
mtDNA haplogroup
h
Does anyone know what or mtDNA haplogroup, the ancient Romans belonged to?

thanks

I can't believe no one else has answered this yet...
I've read some studies of Roman DNA, and generally they look to the Etruscans, and the Tuscans. I saw one study that mentioned HV, and JT were prominent. In the study of the Tuscans, it was a pretty wide range of haplogroups, H being the most prominent.
Dienekes mentions a study of pre-Roman, Iberian mtdna's:
"The most frequent haplogroup is H (52.9%), followed by U (17.6%), J (11.8%), and pre-HV, K and T at the same frequency (5.9%)."
H1 was found and thought to have originated there. Equally interesting, was what was not found, and you can read more here:
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2005/07/pre-roman-iberian-mtdna.html

Only a few ancient samples have been tested to date.

MtDNA was extracted from 13 individuals from the ruins of a Roman villa in Pompei. 6 of them turned out to be related and belonged to haplogroup T2b. There were also 3 H and 1 HV0.

17 samples from the 3000-year old Nuragic culture in Sardinia were tested. 10 of them belonged to haplogroups H, 1 to hg V, 2 to hg U2, 1 to hg J, 3 either to H or U, and one was unidentified.

Based on these 30 samples, H has an overwhelming proportion (about 50%), but the overall frequency is rather similar to the modern Italian population.

Thanks so much Maciamo, May I ask a quick ques:
My mtdna is H (subgroup also H...through gene tree testing) and my Y haplogroup is R1b1b2, Is it safe to say that I might be descended from the romans? My family on both sides come from southern Italy.

thnx

Thanks so much Maciamo, May I ask a quick ques:
My mtdna is H (subgroup also H...through gene tree testing) and my Y haplogroup is R1b1b2, Is it safe to say that I might be descended from the romans? My family on both sides come from southern Italy.

thnx

Half of all Europeans belong to H and R1b1b2. These haplogroups existed many thousands years before Rome was founded. Just to give you an idea, haplogroup H was identified in the remains of a 30,000 years ago Cro-Magnon from Russia.

But if you are Italian, there is 100% of chance that many of your ancestors were Roman. By Roman, I suppose that you mean the original Italic tribe that founded Rome ? During the Empire, most of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East was officially Roman. So you could say that people from all these countries today have Roman ancestors.

If Half of all Europeans belong to H and R1b1b2, it means that the rest belong to R1a1a, I, J ... It was then brought by the indo-european speakars during 3000 BC and onward. But those came from the east (russian steppe) so they must have carried the H as well (from Cro-magnon). What are the other than H Y-haplogroups and wherefrom and how did they come to Europe?

This thread has been viewed 10863 times.

Back