Characteristics of Haplogroups??

Y dna just gives someone a penis so Y dnas are pr*cks. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
@oriental Proof to your statement? Maciamo himself discussed that Y-hg's may have more phenotypical effect on a man than previously thought. Whether it is in fertility, hairiness or even voices( pitches). In fact studies have found that there are other genes for the formation of a penis other than the Y. So to state that Y-DNA just gives you a penis is faulty.

Thank You. I wasn't serious.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Same to you =)

@oriental Proof to your statement? Maciamo himself discussed that Y-hg's may have more phenotypical effect on a man than previously thought. Whether it is in fertility, hairiness or even voices( pitches). In fact studies have found that there are other genes for the formation of a penis other than the Y. So to state that Y-DNA just gives you a penis is faulty.
You mean you can have a penis without Y DNA?!!!

@Le Brok Yes and this is the reason why there are cases of SRY-negative XX males! You can google it on the net.

@Le Brok Yes and this is the reason why there are cases of SRY-negative XX males! You can google it on the net.

Very interesting cases but I wouldn't read too much into it yet. Cases are very few, all a bit different, and scientists still trying to make sense out of it. I would sit on sidelines till this fenomenon is fully explained.

For most:
Molecular studies have detected Y chromosome material in 75% of XX males (
Muller et al., 1987), which explains their testicular development. On the other hand, many theories have been put forward to explain how patients who are Y-negative, as in this case, can have testes, despite complete absence of the Y
http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/4/717.full
It is possible that in remaining 25% Y chromosome exists but not in all organs. The DNA is always sampled from blood and not from testis for example, where Y chromosome, or part of it, might be still present. There are few reported cases of so called chimeras, people with two different DNA in different organs.

Whatever is the case you don't have fertile male, fully functional male, without Y DNA.

In fact studies have found that there are other genes for the formation of a penis other than the Y. So to state that Y-DNA just gives you a penis is faulty.
Yes, autosomal DNA contains most of male "blueprint", however yDNA is the "director of the construction".

@ Le Brok I suspect that some of these individuals may lack completely the Y in all of their body parts while others may have some Y-genetic material in their testis as you said but that Y doesn't kick in for sperm production. So both cases explain sterility for such people.

@motzart I noticed the correlation between tall height and haplogroup I* before as well. As for hairiness and baldness, I also expect I*, G* and J* carriers to be the most predisposed to both traits. With E1b1b*(and YAP lineages in general) coming second and being intermediate between IJ*/G*/H* and K* descended lineages(NO*/P*/Q*/R*) in that respect. What do you think?

then since the new july 2014 age numbers from karafet june 2014 paper indicates that HIJGTLNO and P all came out of K in a period of 6000 years ( and R and Q 30000 years later ), we would expect all of these haplogroups to have the same traits you state.............would I be fair in stating this?

@Sile Where did you read that haplogroups G*,H* and IJ* came from K*. If they really did then yes we would expect them to show the same traits relatively/proportionally speaking.

If they really did then yes we would expect them to show the same traits relatively/proportionally speaking.

So for example Sub-Saharan African R1b-V88, R1b-M73 in East Asia, and European R1b-M269, all show the same traits ??? :grin:

@Tomenable I never talked about "racial" phenotype but rather hairiness, behaviour and male traits(such as baldness and voice pitch) . Reread my posts. Cheers.

As far as I know there are no physical characteristics caused by the Y-Chromosome, except of course for the general male characteristics. But to be more precise they are not caused by the Y-DNA itself, but by the missing second X-Chromosome which otherwise oppresses these features. Unless of course you associate Y haplogroups with certain ethnicities, so that you can say with a certain chance someone with haplogroup A is black, O suffers from lactose intolerance, I is white etc...

You would also expect an R1b to be more statistically likely to be a redhead. It doesn't mean that R1b makes you ginger, it's that there is a significant historic correlation between R1b and redheads.

Is there any research indicating actual functions of the Y-chromosome that are affected by mutations associated with haplogroups? I know there has been some speculation that some R types may be more likely to have sons than daughters (which could explain the dominance of R-types in western Europe), but I'm not aware of any empirical research indicating this.

Link to study of physical features and Y-SNPs

Marked differences in Y-SNP allele frequencies between continental populations can be used to predict the biogeographic origin of a man's ancestral paternal lineage. Using 627 samples collected from individuals within the UK with pale-skinned Caucasian, dark-skinned Caucasian, African/Caribbean, South Asian, East Asian or Middle Eastern appearance we demonstrate that an individual's Y-SNP haplogroup is also strongly correlated with their physical appearance. Furthermore, experimental evaluation of the Marligen Signet Y-SNP kit in conjunction with the Luminex 100 detection instrument indicates that reliable and reproducible haplogrouping results can be obtained from 1 ng or more of target template derived from a variety of forensic evidence types including, blood, saliva and post-coital vaginal swabs. The test proved highly male-specific with reliable results being generated in the presence of a 1000-fold excess of female DNA, and no anomalous results were observed during degradation studies despite a gradual loss of typable loci. Hence, Y-SNP haplogrouping has considerable potential forensic utility in predicting likely ethnic appearance.

It's no wonder the majority of men with Haplogroup I are over 181 cm tall, this explains a lot about my people (Bosnian Croats, tallest in the world) and the southern Swedes, Montenegrins, northern Dutch, etc. I also believe that I and J men tend to have in common bigger, more prominent noses, proportionally longer legs and shorter trunks, and more body hair.

We also usually have longer faces, on which the beak noses fit quite nicely, although in the Balkans our very strong lower jaws fill out our faces more- this may be an I2 thing. Perhaps we can
say J + I1 = narrower faces; I2 = full jaws; although Armenians (J2) usually have prominent cheekbones which can cause their faces to look fuller in the same way our jawlines do, but this is probably a result of whatever Central Asian/Indo-European invasion that brought R1b into the Armenian gene pool.

All of the men of beak-nosed populations in West Eurasia are high in either I or J (Persians, Armenians, Jews, Arabs, South Slavs, Italians (esp. southern), Greeks, also in southern Sweden I believe many people have aquiline noses, and you can see them among many Dutchmen as well.

Head shape is somewhat harder, because some J populations are quite dolichocephalic like Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, Persians, and most peninsular Arabs, as well as southern Italians. Then there are Armenians, Ingush, etc. who are brachycephalic, although for Armenians this could come from R1b Central Asians. I2 is mostly brachycephalic (Balkans) and then I1 is clearly dolichocephalic. I find a correlation between head shape and haplogroup to be very hard, and believe it's more influenced by autosomal DNA.

I think that the trait men inherit with the strongest link to the Y chromosome would be height.

Those, like you and I, who have I haplogroup Ydna tend to be much better looking..
LOL I wish that were true. We do usually have very strong masculine features, like tallness and big noses, I know that for sure. But the women of ancient Europe clearly didn't find us more attractive when they mated with Central Asian R-carrying invaders.

Interesting discussion. SO here is MY question:
Which is the gene that makes someone semetic?
As far as I have gotten ... the sumerians were not semetic ... but the akkadians were ... correct?

This thread has been viewed 51566 times.

Back