Economy France most pessimistic country in the world for economic prospects

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
The French polling agency BVA, working in association with Gallup, has conducted an international survey regarding the perception of economic difficulties to come in 2011.

French people emerged as the most pessimistic people of the 53 countries surveyed, with 61% of the people thinking that 2011 will be riddled with economic problems for their country or them personally. The most optimistic Europeans are the Germans, among whom only 22% foresee a dark year for the economy. The average of pessimists in Western Europe is 38%, against 33% in North America.

Emerging countries topped the list of optimistic nations. Almost half of Brazilians, Indians and Chinese are confident that 2011 will bring them increased prosperity.

French people are not only concerned about economic growth, but also the most worried Europeans about their personal wealth. 37% of them think that they will be poorer in 2011 than they were in 2010, a sharp increase since since last year's poll (24%). 26% of western Europeans expect to get richer this year, with the Swedes topping the polls (53%) and the French (15%) once again at the bottom.

Britons most concerned about unemployment

British people were the most likely to fear an increase in unemployment (74%), not far ahead of the French (67%). Only 27% of the Germans had concerns about growing unemployment.

55% of Brits think that they might personally lose their job, twice more than the Western European average (27%).

When asked if they think they could find a new job quickly after losing their current job, Britons were once again the most pessimistic. 67% of them expect it to take a long time to find a new job. At the other end of the scale, 31% of Swedes thought likewise.

Conclusion

Overall, the Nordics, Germans, Swiss, Belgians and Dutch were the most optimistic Europeans for 2011. Worldwide, the Vietnamese and Nigerians were far ahead of other nations.

French people like to complain about everything. It's a national sport. Expecting the worst is a good way of preparing yourself to tackle difficulties. So pessimism is not always a bad thing.

Hmm.. I think the Dutch are real complainers of the world. The investigation doesn't make sense. I guess it's manipulated.

The Dutch government doesn't even have a majority in parliament. Political views are gone. The Dutch differ between themselves as much as a Spaniard differs from a Russian.

If you look in France, there is a big difference between the large cities and the countryside. I was many times in the south (Languedoc) and people there live a relaxed life over there. Quite friendly.
I'd rather live in Southern France than in grumpy Holland, but the French language remains a problem for me, even after 5 years of study.
Their baud rate is much too high.. ;)

The Economist posted an article based on the same poll last week. It took them 4 months to react...

Despite all the pessimism and negativity about the French government and its politicians, a good part of the French population has little to complain about by global standards, as The Economist pertinently points out.

The Economist said:
Yet a glance at the France behind the headlines hints at a picture that is a lot less glum. Shops are full, markets busy and consumer spending is buoyant. Property prices are up. The French have snapped up the iPad and 20m, or nearly a third of the population, are on Facebook. The French may moan about their country, their bureaucrats and their politicians, but they seem happy with their individual situation. Though only 17% of young people told one recent poll that their country’s future was promising, a massive 83% said that they were satisfied with their own lives.

This thread has been viewed 10182 times.

Back