The Laz

Hello foryouandme, I just read one research about laz/megrels people. They are almost 50% G2a. In my region (Trabzon in Turkey), the pontic speaking upper towns are also belonging to same haplogroup (Most probably local kolhis people helenized during Greek colonization). Unfortunatelly, we have very limited number of samples. If you are related laz people, you are more than welcome to join my group at Familytree DNA.

Thanks, but, unfortunately, I'm not Lazuri. A friend of mine is, he's from Batumi, Georgia. I think we need Lazuri members to help us with this.

Thanks, but, unfortunately, I'm not Lazuri. A friend of mine is, he's from Batumi, Georgia. I think we need Lazuri members to help us with this.
You can advise him to take a DNA test :)

Well, Kardu I did take your advice and suggested to him about a DNA test. He said he'd be interested. :)

Good to know :)

And thanks for the interesting links.

BTW few months ago 30 Laz and 30 Georgians were tested. I can't reveal the full results yet before the the article is published, but unexpectedly there was a high number of haplogroup L1b among the Laz.

BTW few months ago 30 Laz and 30 Georgians were tested. I can't reveal the full results yet before the the article is published, but unexpectedly there was a high number of haplogroup L1b among the Laz.

It would be very interesting to see results,
Laz area for me has extra weight in theories of IE origin

It would be very interesting to see results,
Laz area for me has extra weight in theories of IE origin

Yes, wider results from that area might shed some light on many pending issues. Although so far available Georgian/Laz data pose more questions than provide answers :)

I heard similar things about them. That they got high numbers of Haplogroup L1b is somehow interesting, considering that many of them tend to be quite pale and brown/red/blond haired.

Another interesting thing that I have observed is, that the Haplogroups J(J1/J2) and R1b have some correlation in West Asia.

I heard similar things about them. That they got high numbers of Haplogroup L1b is somehow interesting, considering that many of them tend to be quite pale and brown/red/blond haired.

Another interesting thing that I have observed is, that the Haplogroups J(J1/J2) and R1b have some correlation in West Asia.
Probably we are dealing with an ancient admixture here, supposedly from Elamite refugees/colonists. Georgian (and Kartvelian languages in general) has certain loanwords from Elamite.

L1b? Do you mean Y-DNA or mtDNA?

"Of course"? Well, both are and would be fascinatingly surprising. :)

BTW Gedmatch already has Laz as a reference population, so whoever has autosomal results can check his ancestry in reference to Laz :)

Interesting site, although the data are already bit outdated.
By the end of the year we will have a comprehensive new YDNA data from almost all regions of Georgia.

Interesting site, although the data are already bit outdated.
By the end of the year we will have a comprehensive new YDNA data from almost all regions of Georgia.

Looking forward to it. Why no MtDNA?

This thread has been viewed 70099 times.

Back