The Laz

And BTW here are recent Laz results: L1b - 42%, J2a - 28%, G2a - 17%, J1 - 3%, R1b1a2 - 3%, E1b1b - 6%, I2a - 3%.

And BTW here are recent Laz results: L1b - 42%, J2a - 28%, G2a - 17%, J1 - 3%, R1b1a2 - 3%, E1b1b - 6%, I2a - 3%.

kardu if you have the variations of G2a plz post.

I want to see how much common is with the minor asian G2a

kardu if you have the variations of G2a plz post.

I want to see how much common is with the minor asian G2a
We will make haplotypes public some time in January/February 2013. Meanwhile I can tell you that many of them are Caucasus cluster G2a1a1

I am Laz, tested R1b

We will make haplotypes public some time in January/February 2013. Meanwhile I can tell you that many of them are Caucasus cluster G2a1a1

I am of Laz ancestry, and recently tested R1b haplogroup. You are correct about the Mergel association. Turkey is very ethnically diverse in general- the area has many different 'tribes', they named everyone from Samsun to the east of the Country in the black sea region 'Laz' but not all of that population is 'Laz.' The name 'Laz' was a nickname given to this population by the ottomans. We consider the people who speak Laz language, which is very similar to Georgian and the same as Mergel language, to be Lazuri. The language is about 10% greek. We use the same city and town names as are used in Greek. The people who speak Laz/Mergel in Turkey are mostly concentrated from Ardasan to Sarpi.

Another population of Laz/Mergel speaking people exists in Russia. These people were unaware of a differentiation between Laz and Mergel.

In Sarp, where I am from, there is a wide variety of people. There are people who look very Irish, however my family with the R1b haplotype are not amung them. There are blonde people, redheads, freckles and blue eyes, as well as people who look more Greek or Turkish. We live next to the Black Sea, and about 5 miles inland is a population called Hamsin, who speak Armenian. That population, which lives within the Laz speaking area, has never really intermarried with Laz people until recently.

I would love to hear about other Laz genetics or any information which is available. I am no expert, but this is my understanding from having interest in this subject and searching as well as the knowledge I had while growing up.

Thanks for your post!
Yes, we did test only Laz speakers with known Laz ancestry.
Through which company have you got your results?

Thanks for your post!
Yes, we did test only Laz speakers with known Laz ancestry.
Through which company have you got your results?

It was the DNA ancestry project with Gene Bank. Do you have experience with others?

Here is my information, from looking at the information you sent me in the link I was wondering if it looks like Giorgi Tavdgindze could have a common ancestor? I am new at this and I don't know exatly how to interpret information. Does that seem like a likley conclusion or how would you interpret this? Looking him up on wikipedia led me to a picture posing with several Laz people actually.

I spoke to someone just the other day who told me that Ellaz in rum (who are related to greeks) means 'greek', and that it seems likely that when the Ottomans came to the black sea region they nicknamed the people 'Laz' because the people chanted the word 'Elazus'
DYS19/394
DYS385a

DYS385b

DYS388

DYS389i

DYS389ii

DYS390

DYS391

DYS392

DYS393

DYS426

DYS437

DYS438

DYS439

DYS447

DYS448

DYS460

GATA H4

YCAIIa

YCAIIb

I spoke to someone just the other day who told me that Ellaz in rum (who are related to greeks) means 'greek', and that it seems likely that when the Ottomans came to the black sea region they nicknamed the people 'Laz' because the people chanted the word 'Elazus'

I also heard that version,
and met many persons that carry that believe,

Here is my information, from looking at the information you sent me in the link I was wondering if it looks like Giorgi Tavdgindze could have a common ancestor? I am new at this and I don't know exatly how to interpret information. Does that seem like a likley conclusion or how would you interpret this? Looking him up on wikipedia led me to a picture posing with several Laz people actually.

DYS19/394
DYS385a

DYS385b

DYS388

DYS389i

DYS389ii

DYS390

DYS391

DYS392

DYS393

DYS426

DYS437

DYS438

DYS439

DYS447

DYS448

DYS460

GATA H4

YCAIIa

YCAIIb

Thanks for sharing the haplotype!
With Tavdgiridze it seems you share a common ancestor about 2000+ years ago. Tavdgiridzes belong to Adjarian nobility. Adjara was part of Lazika before and Tavdgiridze's hometown Kobuleti is quite close to Sarpi.

As for Laz/Elazus it's a totally folk etymology :) Ethnonym Laz is attested many centuries before the Turkish tribes entered Anatolia from their Central Asian homeland.

FYI we have made some Laz haplotypes public on our project page. And there is one with R1b1a2

Last edited:

Wow! A good mixture. I always thought Lazuri and Georgian people resembled Semitic and Celtic people. No wonder they're good looking.

Does anyone know where I can find Laz results?

I'm interested in y-dna's and gedmatch results.

Btw, my paternal great-grandfather is a Laz.

I'm interested in y-dna's and gedmatch results.

Btw, my paternal great-grandfather is a Laz.

There will be several Laz results on Gedmatch in near future.

If you like you can join our project, we have several Laz among R1b1a2.

Great news.

I've been tested on 23andme.

Thats are very interesting results. I expected common anatolian and caucasian originated yHg like J1,J2 and G2a. %42 is very high percentage for L. May be the all sample are relatives? Sampling method should be check out. ( The avars have L1b as %9 at most at the caucasian. %42 is realy so high. )

Btw, Georgians have G,
Lazish people have L
Jews have J
Eagypt has E
Grans sons of Chenghiz Han has C...,
Nordic Fin people has N

Whats going on people.

This thread has been viewed 70076 times.

Back