Politics Will Ukraine join EU?

I think so, in the coming 50 years I think we will see a rapid unification of nations all over the world into larger political forms. Already we are seeing Europe and American living standard being lowered by the economic rise in China.

The Ukraine will need the EU to develop its economy and will be the only route to raise living standard for its people. Poland has benefited hugely to EU membership and I'm sure other eastern block countries will be keen to make a similar move. Its already clear those in power in the EU want to cast as wide a net as possible.

Yes. Probably sometime in the next decade.

Some wikipedia Info:

Many political factions of Ukraine advocate joining the EU and developing ties with Europe. Since the Orange Revolution of late 2004, Ukraine's membership prospects have improved: Opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko hinted that he would press the EU for deeper ties, and described a four-point plan: the acknowledgment of Ukraine as a market economy, entry in the World Trade Organisation, associate membership with the EU, and lastly full membership. In a similar way, the Ukrainian government asked Brussels to give Ukraine a clearer prospect for membership, claiming that the current plan reflected only the pre-orange revolution situation. However, following ambiguous signals from the EU, Yushchenko has responded to the apathetic mood of the Commission by stating that he intends to send an application for EU membership "in the near future". In September 2009 two Ukrainian diplomats, backed by a number of others, went on record arguing that Ukraine should submit a formal application for membership in 2010 in order to get a clearer message from Brussels. If lodged in 2010, it would likely be considered a year later under the Polish EU presidency, a country which has supported Ukrainian membership. However, a 2009 poll indicates only 34% support from the Ukrainian people for membership. Inside the EU opinion is split. Several EU leaders have already stated strong support for closer economic ties with Ukraine but have stopped short of direct support for such a bid. In 2005, Polish Foreign Minister Adam Daniel Rotfeld noted that Poland will in every way promote Ukraine's desire to be integrated with the EU, get the status of a market-economy country and join the WTO. Portugal also publicly stated it supports Ukraine's EU accession. On 13 January 2005 the European Parliament almost unanimously (467 votes to 19 in favour) passed a motion stating the wish of the Parliament to establish closer ties with Ukraine with the possibility of EU membership. A 2005 poll of the six largest EU nations showed that the European public would be more likely to accept Ukraine as a future EU member than any other country that is not currently an official candidate. The European Commission has stated that future EU membership will not be ruled out and in 2005 Commission President José Manuel Barroso said that the future of Ukraine is in the EU. However, the Commission suggested that the current enlargement agenda (the Western Balkans and Turkey) could block the possibility of a future accession of the Eastern Partnership states. Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said that the EU should avoid overstretch, adding that the current enlargement agenda is already very heavy. In 2002, then-Enlargement Commissioner Günter Verheugen said that "a European perspective" for Ukraine does not necessarily mean membership in 10 or 20 years, however, that does not mean it is not a possibility.

The European Union (EU) is seeking an increasingly close relationship with Ukraine, going beyond cooperation, to gradual economic integration and deepening of political cooperation.[1] Ukraine is said to be a priority partner within the European Neighborhood Policy (ENP). A joint EU–Ukraine Action Plan was endorsed by the European Council on 21 February 2005. It was based on the Partnership and cooperation agreement of 1994 and provided, according to the European Commission, a comprehensive and ambitious framework for joint of work with Ukraine in all key areas of reform. On June 16, 2009, a new practical instrument was adopted - the EU-Ukraine Association Agenda. According to the Ukrainian authorities, the ENP is not an adequate political instrument, since joining the EU was one of principal objectives of all governments since 1994. After the Orange revolution of 2004 that brought to power Viktor Yushchenko, the EU commission was very slow to react: little progress was made to put the largest European country on a path to eventual membership.
On 22 July 2008, it was announced that a "Stabilisation and Association" -type agreement would be signed between Ukraine and the EU on 8 September 2008 in Evian. Talks on a free trade agreement between Ukraine and the European Union started on 18 February 2008 between the Ukrainian government and the EU Trade Commissioner. On November 22, 2010 the European Council and Ukraine announced "an action plan for Ukraine toward the establishment of a visa-free regime for short-stay travel".
As of December 2008 44.7% of all Ukrainians find it necessary for Ukraine to enter the European Union and 35.2% see no necessity in Ukraine's entering the EU. In May 2010 more than half of Ukrainians older than 16 supported European Union membership. The current Azarov Government continues to pursue EU-integration.

maybe 10 years to join. but first you have to send your joining applications.

Official candidates to enter: Croatia, Iceland, Macedonia, Montenegro, Turkey
Have sent applications: Albania, Serbia.
Potential candidates who have not sent applications: Ukraine, Bosnia Herzegovina, (Kosovo), Norway, Moldova

Could enter and be accepted by the eu population: Switzerland, Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, (Israel, Berlusconi and some italians would accept it)

The EU will go as far as Turkey and Russia eventually. Things aren't set up correctly, and they've got to wait for some economic stuff to change, as well as human rights and political stuff, but eventually it will happen. Despite the fact that Europeans thing they're so different from each other, they get along pretty well compared to the rest of the world, and there's no reason their neighbors can't join the party.

Will the EU exist before Ukraine will join?

No way!
Ukrainian destiny is to be Russia's serf №1 up to Judgement Day :LOL:

1303484419_yanmedved.jpg

I've read somewhere in an article that the President of Ukraine said he wants to join EU by 2020.
They also said something like that in 2005, that they would join by 2011.
If they want to make it by 2020, i would advise them to fill in an application form first.

Personally i think Ukraine has a bigger chance then Turkey has, i would also prefer Ukraine above Turkey.
But first they have other problems to solve, like drug abusing teens and corrupt governments, when it's ready with that then for me they're welcome to join the EU.

I don't think so. Ukraine isn't to level. Also, there are a lot of pro-russian people.

It will take some time but I believe they will become part of the EU.

If Putin, sorry, when Putin comes back to power, he'll make sure to get Ukraine back into his sphere of influence. What's democracy compared to gas, oil and cash?

If Putin, sorry, when Putin comes back to power, he'll make sure to get Ukraine back into his sphere of influence. What's democracy compared to gas, oil and cash?

Don't worry, Ukraine have "two chairs" mentality. They will take oil & gas from Putin and in the same time sell itself to EU :LOL:
Putin by the way losing his popularity, from 70% in 2004 to 40% in 2011

No! They are a big country, poor, and they don't seem to make any effort to join EU. They have a large Rusian population that are inclined to Join Russia. It must be said though that Ukrainians are Europeans,

Unfortunately it seems not possible. In my opinion, Russia because of its vital interests in the region would never give permission for this.

This thread has been viewed 88839 times.

Back