Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Of The Worlds Countries Have Never Been Conquered By Another Nation?

Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered

Ethnic group
    Irish

Which Of The Worlds Countries Have Never Been Conquered By Another Nation?

On this topic I've learned Scotland, England, USA (as it was discovered not conquered) and Germany never have been conquered? What do you think? Kind regards.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pre-Adam
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Pre-Eva

Ethnic group
    Albanian - Dinaric

China,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Advisor Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a* (inferred)

Quote Originally Posted by Neander View Post
    China,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Mongols, Manchus?

Regarding Germany, it was clearly conquered 1945, 1918, 1806, and if you will, 1648, so in a nutshell, no. Same with England and Scotland.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pre-Adam
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Pre-Eva

Ethnic group
    Albanian - Dinaric

Mongols, Manchus?
    I dont know much about it, but as I remember they just atacked somtimes, and conquered a little piece of whole territory

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pre-Adam
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Pre-Eva

Ethnic group
    Albanian - Dinaric

On this topic I've learned Scotland, England, USA (as it was discovered not conquered) and Germany never have been conquered? What do you think? Kind regards.
    Scotland is just conwuered by England.

Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c PF3881+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Where have you learned that? I think you have some reading to do... starting with England... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest

Advisor Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a* (inferred)

Quote Originally Posted by Neander View Post
    I dont know much about it, but as I remember they just atacked somtimes, and conquered a little piece of whole territory
    The Mongols conquered all of China in the 1270s, which may have resulted in as much as half of China's population at that point being killed, and established the Mongol-derived Yuan dynasty in the country, which was overthrown less than a century later by the Ming dynasty.

Later on, in the 1640s, the Manchus conquered Ming China and established the Qing dynasty, which ruled over China until the monarchy was abolished in 1912.

Banned Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    Amerindian + German + French + Spaniard + Black + others

I think that the case of Brazil, Canada or Australia, for example, are the same as the USA. I could think of more examples, but I think it is not necessary.

Baron Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 285

Quote Originally Posted by hangman View Post
    What do you think? Kind regards.
    It depends on what you mean by "country". If you mean the modern political/geographic boundaries defining those countries, then maybe. If you mean the areas that today are those countries but at a time when such countries did not really exist, then no.

On this topic I've learned Scotland, England,

USA (as it was discovered not conquered)
    The land that later became the United States was conquered from the native peoples by Spaniards, French and English.

and Germany never have been conquered?

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 31.0%

How about when William Duke of Normandy (France) conquered England in 1066? Does this not count as a conquest , including most of what is now known as the UK.?

Melusine

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Only few very young countries were never conquered, like Canada, USA and Australia. Actually Canada and Australia constitutionally belong to GB. That means that only USA as independent nation was never conquered.

Mongolia was conquered by Russia, and dominated by Soviets.

One could make a point that Russia was never conquered either. History of proper Russia starts after unification of some Slavic tribes, after collapse of Tatar/Mongol domination in eastern Europe.

Elite member Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 380

Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand have all been conquered, it was us Europeans who did the deed. All these countries were inhabited originally.

England has been conquered a number of times, Celts, Romans, Anglos, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Norse and finally the Normans. Scotland likewise, and they were finally conquered by the English after the battle of Culloden.

I think it will be difficult to find any country or land that has not been invaded at some time or other, not to mention that they'd be so very in-bred by now!

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

[QUOTE=Antigone;366172]Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand have all been conquered, it was us Europeans who did the deed. All these countries were inhabited originally.
    QUOTE]

What are you talking about? These countries didn't exist till Europeans arrived. In other words, they have started these countries. Before this, there was just American continent with many native tribes on it. There was not even a name Australia or New Zealand, because aborigines called it something else. Different name, different people, different language, different culture, no continuity.

It is (almost) the same if you would say that the first conquest of France happened when Cesar defeated Galls.

Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered

Ethnic group
    Irish

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Only few very young countries were never conquered, like Canada, USA and Australia. Actually Canada and Australia constitutionally belong to GB. That means that only USA as independent nation was never conquered.

Mongolia was conquered by Russia, and dominated by Soviets.

One could make a point that Russia was never conquered either. History of proper Russia starts after unification of some Slavic tribes, after collapse of Tatar/Mongol domination in eastern Europe.
    That's great...America is land that I Love. Bets regards LeBrook.

Level

What are you talking about? These countries didn't exist till Europeans arrived. In other words, they have started these countries. Before this, there was just American continent with many native tribes on it.
    Wow, there is the typical Eurocentric view, nothing existed until the big white man turned up to make it exist. I was wondering how long it would be before someone came up with it, you didn't disappoint.

Of course they all existed, not under the names that they currently have and under a different construct than we know today but they most certainly existed.

Perhaps you could try explaining to Australian aboriginals how they didn't exist for 40,000 years. No continuity indeed.

Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c PF3881+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Antigone View Post
    Wow, there is the typical Eurocentric view, nothing existed until the big white man turned up to make it exist. I was wondering how long it would be before someone came up with it, you didn't disappoint.

Of course they all existed, not under the names that they currently have and under a different construct than we know today but they most certainly existed.

Perhaps you could try explaining to Australian aboriginals how they didn't exist for 40,000 years. No continuity indeed.
    Well, I think that the dispute here is a confusion of terms rather than Eurocentrism. For example, "North America" or "the land that would become the United States" has obviously been conquered. "The United States" has yet to be, unless you count pieces of it, like the former Commonwealth of the Philippines.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Well, I think that the dispute here is a confusion of terms rather than Eurocentrism. For example, "North America" or "the land that would become the United States" has obviously been conquered. "The United States" has yet to be, unless you count pieces of it, like the former Commonwealth of the Philippines.
    You beat me to it Sparkey, I was just thinking along the same lines and was about to reply again. As the OP didn't specify modern history I was assuming he was taking all historical eras into consideration.

Although the fact that "what is now known" as England was invaded a few times in the distant past has been accepted and passed as an answer to the original question yet feathers fly over the suggestion that "what is now known" as the US has also been similarily invaded in the not so distant past. Why is that?

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Before English came there was no country Australia (read the title of this thread again). There were just many tribes that spoke many languages. Continent (not country) Australia was never united by any of the tribes, therefore, one might say, that there were many smaller countries with different names, on this continent that we know now as Australia. Even if one of the tribes united it, the country would have a different name, different language, different culture, different people genetically, etc, it wasn't Australia.
    Now the Europeans came, mostly British, conquered all the tribes and other European colonies, united the land under name of Australia. Australia as a country is very young and started around 1850.

Once again, there was no country Australia before 1850. There was a continent that we know as Australia, but there was no country of this name.

Level

Before English came there was no country Australia (read the title of this thread again). There were just many tribes that spoke many languages. Continent (not country) Australia was never united by any of the tribes, therefore, one might say, that there were many smaller countries with different names, on this continent that we know now as Australia. Even if one of the tribes united it, the country would have a different name, different language, different culture, different people genetically, etc, it wasn't Australia.
    Now the Europeans came, mostly British, conquered all the tribes and other European colonies, united the land under name of Australia. Australia as a country is very young and started around 1850.

Once again, there was no country Australia before 1850. There was a continent that we know as Australia, but there was no country of this name.
    Yes I was born there and it wasn't officially Australia until 1901 but the name Australia had been used to refer to the land as early as the early 1800s. But all that is beside the point.

Perhaps you could tell me what name would be acceptable to refer to the lands that are now known as Australia and the USA etc before the modern political constructs? Is there even one in existance? Because it really doesn't matter whether I used the convenience of their modern names, nor does it matter how many tribes lived in either, nor whether or not they were united. The lands that are now known as Australia and USA etc were still conquered, it was because they were conquered that their modern identities were formed.

Now you may like to categorize your history, draw neat little lines and pretend your peoples existance didn't happen at the expense of anothers but I do not. I see continuity in it all.

I'd still like to know how it is acceptable to use the modern name of England when referring to invasions that happened when that island was just as un-united and tribal as the USA or Australia, but modern names are somehow not acceptable when referring to past invasions in certain other places?

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

The lands that are now known as Australia and USA etc were still conquered, it was because they were conquered that their modern identities were formed.
    You answered yourself. The thread was about conquered countries/nations and not about conquered lands or continents.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

All areas of the world have been conquered numerous times in history (or prehistory). If you mean modern states as they exist now, few have actually been conquered. For example, Germany as it exists now only came into existence at the reunification in 1990. It hasn't been conquered since then, but the territory itself has been invaded/conquered/occupied times and again. The last time was by Allied forces at the end of WWII and WWI. Before that, Prussia (over half of which lied in modern Poland) conquered and unified the various German kingdoms, duchies, principalities and counties. Napoleon conquered Germany in 1806. In the early Middle Age, most of Germany was conquered by the Franks (who were based around modern Belgium), and earlier still by the Huns. Let us not forget too that the south-west of Germany was annexed by Rome and approximately half of modern Germany was defeated and occupied by the Romans (as far as the Danish border). You can go back even further with the Celts and Germans invading the region in the Bronze Age.

The same kind of scenario holds for any place on Earth. Australia, the Pacific Islands and Japan were probably the least invaded/conquered places since humans first set foot there. Australia and the Pacific Islands were only colonised once by Europeans after their indigenous populations got there, and never since. Japan was progressively conquered by the Yayoi people starting 2500 years ago, and since then was only successfully occupied by a foreign power in 1945.

Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Romans and Normans both conquered England or the territory known today as England.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    If you mean modern states as they exist now, few have actually been conquered. For example, Germany as it exists now only came into existence at the reunification in 1990.
    That's why I stayed with a broader concept of countries and nations as thread title suggested. As long as the culture, language and genetics of population doesn't change much we are talking about same country/nation.
    Surely it's never a clean cut, and every situation is different, and could be argued about.

Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    Celtiberians

Spain has never been conquered.

Advisor Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a* (inferred)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Spain has never been conquered.
    Depends on how you define "Spain", but in any case, the answer has to be "no":

- The Phoenicians conquered parts of the Iberian Penninsula.

- The Romans conquered the entire Iberian Penninsula.

- The Goths conquered the Iberian penninsula.

- The Umayyad Caliphate conquered the Iberian penninsula.

- The Almoravids conquered one by one the Taifa states in Muslim Iberia that emerged after the collapse of the Umayyad rule.

- The Alomhads conquered in turn Muslim Iberia from the Almoravids in the wake of their insurgency.

- The reconquista conquered most Muslim territories, with only the Emirate of Granada persisting into the 15th century.

- The French occupied Spain during the Napeolonic Wars.

- Even though this was technically a Spanish-internal thing, nationalist forces of Franco at the start of the Spanish civil war operated initially out of North Africa and orchestrated their campaign from there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast