Philosophy Which sort of truth suits you best?

Can some "truth" suit to someone? I don't understand what you actually ask with that. ^^

Can some "truth" suit to someone? I don't understand what you actually ask with that. ^^

The title was meant as a joke actually.
Of course truth can't suit anyone, as there is always only one ultimate truth [or even more? or none?]. But how many times has it happened that you tried to convince someone else about your "truth", but the other person insisted on his "truth"? [see the "Celts of Iberia" :LOL:] In the end you don't know who is right, but every person seems to stick to his own ultimate truth, which is sometimes even defined in a different way.
So it was meant as a joke to ask which sort of truth suits you most?

The title was meant as a joke actually.
Of course truth can't suit anyone, as there is always only one ultimate truth [or even more? or none?]. But how many times has it happened that you tried to convince someone else about your "truth", but the other person insisted on his "truth"? [see the "Celts of Iberia" :LOL:] In the end you don't know who is right, but every person seems to stick to his own ultimate truth, which is sometimes even defined in a different way.
So it was meant as a joke to ask which sort of truth suits you most?

So the most correct answer should be "the mine". xD =D

I go with a combination of numbers 2, 3, and 7. I agree with certain aspects of all of those views.

Truth, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

except for when it comes to cold hard facts that have been well proven time after time.....but even with that, there is always some sort of disagreement

I can't decide which is more true - 4 or 5.

1 and 2 for the most part.

The way we perceive our environment, in combination with beliefs, does not only reflect what we try to define as truth. It also shows how we interact with other people in life, how we cope with everyday problems, and also how it contributes to our personality and shapes the mind, how it influences our thoughts of justice. In fact, it can be called some sort of life-style 'lol' :LOL:

I tried to collect some of the most contemporary personal statements of truth, and tried to link them to some epistemologists who represented them to some degree. Please note that all these statements are a little oversimplified and not in detail the words of these philosophers. However, I tried to be as close as possible.

Which sort of truth suits you best?

1. With the usage of logic alone we can find ultimate truth! (de Spinoza, Descartes, Kant etc...)

2. With the usage of logic AND empirics we can find ultimate truth! (Bacon, Locke, Berkeley etc...)

3. It is impossible to find the ultimate truth. But with the usage of logic and empirics we can at least save temporary truth! (Popper, Campbell etc...)

4. Truth doesn’t exist and is only constructed in our heads in interaction with reality. But this shouldn’t keep us from being scientific! (Piaget, von Glasersfeld etc...)

5. I don’t care about what the ultimate truth is, as long as what we are searching for is useful and accepted by various scientists. (Peirce, James, Dewey etc...)

6. I don’t care about what the ultimate truth is, as long as what we are searching for helps to fulfil the needs of human kind. (Marx, Horkheimer etc...)

7. Everybody is right! All we need to do is to agree upon what sort of truth we are talking about! (Lyotard, Foucault etc...)

8. Shut up! Everything is propaganda, this thread is bull shit! haha (your name is Reinhaert and you can leave this discussion NOW!)

I'd have to say 5,6 and 7 are my personal truths. We all are right in some ways but I find that beating people down is not going to cut it unless there is constructive criticism involved. Instead, again this is pure opinion, we all need to work together and throw out fearful propaganda and keep Dogma out of the way for scientists to explore the beliefs and truths.

whichever one keeps me ignorant and happy....that's what suits me best.:LOL:

3. It is impossible to find the ultimate truth. But with the usage of logic and empirics we can at least save temporary truth! (Popper, Campbell etc...)
What was thought to be the truth, is being challenged on an almost daily basis. About everything! What the truth is today, may not necessarily be the truth tomorrow-ask any politician!

This thread has been viewed 11085 times.

Back