Politics Would you accept Israel as a member of the EU?

julia90

Passione Mediterranea
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Tuscan-Italian-(European)
mtDNA haplogroup
H5b
he principle of Israel joining the European Union has been supported by some politicians in both Israel and Europe, including the former Israeli Foreign Minister, Silvan Shalom, former Israeli Minister of Strategic Affairs Avigdor Lieberman and the Italian Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi. Two Italian MEPs are currently campaigning in favour of Israeli membership. An opinion poll in 2004 showed that 85% of Israelis would support an application for membership.
The Israeli government has hinted several times that an EU membership bid is a possibility, but the EU itself proposes instead the closest possible integration "just short of full membership." Faster advancement of such plans is somewhat hampered by the current instability in the Middle East and conflicts in the West Bank, Gaza Strip, and Lebanon. European public opinion of some of Israel's policies - especially those related to the aforementioned areas of conflict is, in general, poor. Proponents of Israel's accession to the EU suggest that such accession would help promoting peace, because being a part of a strong alliance like the EU would allow Israel to withdraw from the occupied territories with no fear of risking its security.
The European Council has not been asked to take a stance regarding whether or not Israel is a European state, but similar circumstances to Morocco (being geographically outside Europe and without exceptional features such as CoE membership) will most likely preclude its inclusion as a full member into the EU as well. However, it can obtain a large degree of integration through the current and future EU Neighbourhood Policies — the former Spanish foreign minister Miguel Ángel Moratinos spoke out for a "privileged partnership, offering all the benefits of EU membership, without participation in the institutions". On 11 January 2005, industry commissioner and vice president of the commission Günter Verheugen even suggested the possibility of a monetary union and common market with Israel.
An argument for the inclusion of Israel into the EU as a full member is that it has a mostly "European" (or perhaps Europeanised) culture and thus forms an exclave in a largely Arab region. Israel also has a GDP per capita similar to many European countries. Some claim that allowing Israel into the EU would create a precedent for other geographically non-European countries to apply for membership, but in fact this precedent already exists as Cyprus, which is already a member state, is geographically in Asia. Proponents of Israel's accession to the EU claim that Israel's situation is similar to that of Cyprus - a country outside of Europe geographically, but a part of Europe culturally and socially.

i think israel could be a valid candidate (economy), but islamic bombing is the main problem.

No because geographically Israel is not part of Europe.
No because Israel continues to defy UN resolutions.
No because Israel is expansionist and continues to settle and ethnically cleanse land that, according to the UN, does not belong to them.

No, simply because it is not in Europe. If we started accepting countries where people can claim European descent, why not accept all American countries, South Africa, Australia and NZ ? That just wouldn't be a European Union anymore. I am not saying a greater union won't happen in the (not so near) future, but that's another debate.

no, for the same reason I'm against Turkey joining: they aren't european. Yes to trade and cooperation, no to membership.

Maybe if it was Global union… But not in European Union.
Also their economy is really bad. It receives insane amount of money from US in Aid. Its economy is based on forin Aid, so no go for EU.

It does not look like this will change in the near future therefore there is no way Israel can join EU.

Aconform, give us some numbers. How much aid Israel receives a year from US and what is its GDP?

@LeBrok

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf

Around 110 billions in direct aid sins Israel was founded. To this you need to add indirect aid such as free weapons.

There you can get an overview of the aid. But the aid in the last decade has changed after heavy investment in arms industry from Israel and U.S. So that America buys weapons and technology from Israel a kind of indirect foren aid.

Also Israel is allowed to keep its military aid in accounts and use interests from this aid to pay of interests on loans.

The economy of Israel is in general is very artificial in its makeup.

Right now aid and GDP is at 3 billion to 200 billion.

The problem is without the direct and indirect aid Israeli budget has such a big deficit that it can’t live up to the EU standard.

In reality I really don’t believe that Israel is interested in being a part of the EU.

wow, so today's US help to Israel is 3 billion a year, compare to 200 Israel’s GDP, that's 1.5%. You were painting a picture like Israel would stop to exist without US money.
You don't need to go to exaggeration to prove your point that you don't want Israel in EU.

wow, so today's US help to Israel is 3 billion a year, compare to 200 Israel’s GDP, that's 1.5%. You were painting a picture like Israel would stop to exist without US money.
You don't need to go to exaggeration to prove your point that you don't want Israel in EU.

Its not if I want them to join or not… they just don’t live up to EU economic stability Standards. And the fact that the country is no were near Europe.

Also as I said the indirect help Israel gets is much more substantial. A big part of the 3 billion goes for military aid.

Yes, US is our close friend with similar culture, goals, values plus governance and economic systems. If US or Canada were in Europe they would fit in like a glove. In spirit US is much closer to EU countries than Russia.
Othere than that there is no need for US to enter EU.

Nah, I don't think it would work having the US in the EU at all. The US would want to be the top dog, which would irritate the Brits, Germans and French no end and cause too many squabbles. Like it or not, Russia is a major energy supplier to the EU and it is in everyone's interest that they get along.

Yes, US is our close friend with similar culture, goals, values plus governance and economic systems. If US or Canada were in Europe they would fit in like a glove. In spirit US is much closer to EU countries than Russia.

You know LeBrok, Russia was on the map of Europe hundred of years before as USA & Canada were founded by colonists :LOL:
View attachment 4770
The basis of Russia build on christian Byzantine religion & culture. Russia is mainly populated by Slavs, the closest countries by ethnicity are Ukraine, Belorussia, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia. If you delete Russia then please delete and these countries too from your concept of "Europe/EU" LeBrok, because we always will keep strong contact with other Slavic countries, no matter what.
There is also everyone can see your approach to the europeans & EU, clearly expressed the interest in saving of American control & diktat over Europe, not in growing of European self-sufficiency or integration at all.

As for Israel, hope Israelis & Palestinians eventually will find common language . Their bloody more than 40 years conflict is useless.
Best wishes :drunk:

why do you think europeans founded EU?

why do you think europeans founded EU?
Well, it must be another conspiracy theory of yours.:petrified: Feel free to humor us. :grin:

...and I woke up the bear. :rolleyes:
Anton, I said in spirit of ideas, way of life, poetical and economic systems, didn't I. Obviously I didn't had location in mind. Don't try to prove Russia's worthiness to join UE to hard, it looks like your pride was hurt more than the issue asked for. I believe in you and your young generation to finely bring Russia to democracy, freedoms, free market, etc. It will take time and effort, but keep on it, in 10-20 years you should be ready.

And I don't care if US and Canada join EU. It was hypothetical and doesn't carry much real life merit. Nie pierezivay. ;)

Well, it must be another conspiracy theory of yours.:petrified: Feel free to humor us. :grin:

...and I woke up the bear. :rolleyes:
Anton, I said in spirit of ideas, way of life, poetical and economic systems, didn't I. Obviously I didn't had location in mind. Don't try to prove Russia's worthiness to join UE to hard, it looks like your pride was hurt more than the issue asked for. I believe in you and your young generation to finely bring Russia to democracy, freedoms, free market, etc. It will take time and effort, but keep on it, in 10-20 years you should be ready.

And I don't care if US and Canada join EU. It was hypothetical and doesn't carry much real life merit. Nie pierezivay. ;)

Yes, maple leaf awakened the bear and he is angry :mad:.
I just a little bit amazed, Canadians here absolutely openly promote U.S. government interests which can be formulated in the simple principle "keep Russians out of Europe, Americans inside and Germans in a tight rein (under total control)". And no need to change theme on abstract topics :LOL:

Yes, maple leaf awakened the bear and he is angry :mad:.
I just a little bit amazed, Canadians here absolutely openly promote U.S. government interests which can be formulated in the simple principle "keep Russians out of Europe, Americans inside and Germans in a tight reign (under total control)". And no need to change theme on abstract topics :LOL:

I agree.
EU must stand up against the US manipulating our policy.

They are doing that today still..
Sarkozy of France is a Mossad and CIA agent.

Israel and the USA behave like enemies of Europe.
At least, they are constantly busy with efforts to destabilize Europe.
And yes, Russia is more European then the USA and Israel. :grin:

We want the USA out, The British under a tight reign, and the Russians in. :grin:

i am not humoring anybody. but your reply smells like you are trying to joke about me.

anyway... i will declare my opinion for the posters who takes into account (if there is anyone).

i believe the EU (i forget the former name) is a project and founded by the developed european countries. the founders were already rich and developed, but, indivisually, small w.r.t US and USSR. So, their aim was to get the synergic effect of grouping in the beginning. with the help of succesfull portugal and spain experiments, and, with the collapse of USSR, they wanted to go after not only for economical benefits but the power also to compete with the US in controlling the different parts of the world. in this second stage they forgive some of their prosperity for the newcomers to control europe as a beginning. but there were some weak points in this project, like euro, nationalism of each country etc. etc..... anyway, it is a long story and may be discussed in another topic.

As a conclusion, the main idea: EU was, allready, a necessity for europeans against US and it would be absurd if US would join the union.

P.S. please dont answer lebrok, i had enough dissappointment about you.

This thread has been viewed 54893 times.

Back