Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: What is the greatest Irish contribution(s) to the world ?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Irish music (traditional and popular)

    6 40.00%
  • Irish actors (Peter O'Toole, Pierce Brosnan, Gabriel Byrne, Daniel Day Lewis, Colin Farrell...)

    4 26.67%
  • Irish literature & poetry (Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, WB Yeats, Thomas Moore, JB Dillon...)

    6 40.00%
  • Influential politicians of Irish descent (Kennedy's, Ronald Reagan, J. Callaghan, P. Keating...)

    2 13.33%
  • Irish pubs and beers

    6 40.00%
  • Other (please specify)

    3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Greatest Irish contribution(s) to the world ?

  1. #1
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    6,498
    Points
    314,902
    Level
    100
    Points: 314,902, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Post Greatest Irish contribution(s) to the world ?



    Let's follow the series of greatest contributions to the world (see related threads below) with Ireland.

    What in your opinion does global modern society owe to Ireland and Irish people ?

    At first thought I can think of Irish music (I won't say Celtic music, as the term Celtic is not intrinsic to Ireland), Irish actors and comedians, Irish pubs and beers, and a long list of very influential politicians of Irish descent in many countries.

    Your ideas are welcome.


    Related threads :

    Greatest contributions of :

    Ancient Egypt - Ancient Greece - Ancient Rome

    India - China - Japan

    Belgium - Britain - France - Germany - Netherlands - Italy - Poland - Spain

  2. #2
    Elite member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Antigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-11
    Posts
    451
    Points
    3,965
    Level
    18
    Points: 3,965, Level: 18
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 3.0%


    Country: Greece



    Literature and poetry.

    Book of Kells, Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, WB Yeats, Thomas Moore, Johnathon Smith, JB Dillon, just to name a few.

  3. #3
    Sennin Achievements:
    3 months registered

    Join Date
    08-04-10
    Location
    Absurdistan
    Posts
    15

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b

    Ethnic group
    Celitalic
    Country: Belgium



    If Ireland gave us something to thank for it must be music ! Folk, New Age, Pop, Rock, you name it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Eireannach's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-10-09
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    64
    Points
    2,770
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,770, Level: 15
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a2a1a1b4 L21

    Ethnic group
    Irish
    Country: Ireland



    Our Monks like Columba, St Aidan, Columbanus etc founded many monastaries throughout Europe during the dark ages to spread Christianity e.g Iona, Lindisfarne; Annegray, Luxeuil, and Fontaines in France and Bobbio in Italy, : St. Gall in Switzerland, Disibodenberg in the Rhine Palatinate, St. Paul's at Besancon, Lure and Cusance in the Dicoese of Besancon, Beze in the Diocese of Langres, Remiremont Abbey and Moyenmoutier Abbey in the Diocese of Toul, Fosses-la-Ville in the Diocese of Liege, Mont-St-Michel at Peronne, Ebersmunster in Lower Alsace, St. Martin's at Cologne, the Scots Monastery, Regensberg, Vienna, Erfurt and Wurzburg.


    Music.

    Whiskey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Rastko Pocesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-10-10
    Location
    Belgrade (Beograd)
    Posts
    96


    Ethnic group
    Anational
    Country: Serbia



    1. Literature (Oscar Wilde & James Joyce)
    2. Politicians (in particular, Kennedy's)
    3. Actors (Peter O'Toole :bowing: Also Byrne and Brosnan)

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Regulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-10
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    47
    Posts
    430


    Ethnic group
    Irish and Italian
    Country: USA - New Jersey



    Quote Originally Posted by Eireannach View Post
    Our Monks like Columba, St Aidan, Columbanus etc founded many monastaries throughout Europe during the dark ages to spread Christianity e.g Iona, Lindisfarne; Annegray, Luxeuil, and Fontaines in France and Bobbio in Italy, : St. Gall in Switzerland, Disibodenberg in the Rhine Palatinate, St. Paul's at Besancon, Lure and Cusance in the Dicoese of Besancon, Beze in the Diocese of Langres, Remiremont Abbey and Moyenmoutier Abbey in the Diocese of Toul, Fosses-la-Ville in the Diocese of Liege, Mont-St-Michel at Peronne, Ebersmunster in Lower Alsace, St. Martin's at Cologne, the Scots Monastery, Regensberg, Vienna, Erfurt and Wurzburg.


    .

    Agreed. Theirs was a great work.

  7. #7
    Moderator Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cimmerianbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-06-11
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    332
    Points
    4,156
    Level
    18
    Points: 4,156, Level: 18
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%


    Ethnic group
    Latin-Germanic
    Country: Germany - Berlin



    Eireannach is dead right. Europe wouldn't be the same had Irish monasticism not existed. Christianity would have a different face without the scholars and the missionary work of Irish "saints" and monks. Their influence shaped Middle Age Europe and gave us the fantastic Heritage we can all admire today in all corners of Europe, but most specifically in Saint Gall, where the biggest collection of manuscripts is stored and studied.
    Anyone voting for Pierce Brosnan or Colin Farrell as the greatest contribution the Irish have given the world is an Amadan even though Farrell himself thinks he's God's gift to women...

  8. #8
    Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    13-12-10
    Location
    Brabant
    Age
    61
    Posts
    768

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a2* SNP P312

    Ethnic group
    Proto Celtic
    Country: Netherlands



    The best thing about Ireland is they kicked the English out.
    More to follow.

    For the rest I like the music.
    And Guinness and whiskey.

    And the fact that we have the same roots. LOL

  9. #9
    Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    30-09-11
    Location
    Munster
    Posts
    2


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: Ireland



    Guinness
    Wilde
    Millions of people

  10. #10
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    27-12-09
    Posts
    265
    Points
    3,029
    Level
    15
    Points: 3,029, Level: 15
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English with some recent Norwegian and more distant Huguenot, and dashes from the 'Celtic Fringe'.
    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaert View Post
    The best thing about Ireland is they kicked the English out.
    More to follow.

    For the rest I like the music.
    And Guinness and whiskey.

    And the fact that we have the same roots. LOL
    When exactly did the Irish 'kick the English out'? Successive waves of 'English', from Strongbow's Anglo-Norman invaders through the Elizabethan and Williamite Plantations to the present day have settled in Ireland, and are now absorbed within the population. Like it or not, Northern Ireland is constitutionally part of Great Britain and the Eire government have given up all claims to the six counties of Ulster. That is some 'kicking out', eh Reinaert?

    Frankly, I wish the UK government would pull out of Northern Ireland. It would save the mainland British tax-payers a fortune in social security payments. Plus, there would be no 'Bratash' to blame for everything when the economy nose-dives without the generous EU handouts.

    What is Ireland's greatest contribution? Arguably literature from the early monks to Beckett and Joyce. Oh, and Val Doonican's 'Delaney's Donkey' is a fine tune.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    05-01-12
    Posts
    1


    Country: United Kingdom



    I'm thinking the building of ancient monuments and buildings in Neolithic Europe would have been affected if some of the oldest buildings/structures/monuments in the world hadn't have been built in Ireland, such as Newgrange in 3200bc(predating pyramids) and Carrowmore in 4000-5000bc. There were was obviously a maritime spread of ideas along/up?/down? the Atlantic coast of Europe but the very earliest dates found so far have often been in Ireland( as well as Brittany and Malta). It is a period not many people or historians are sure of(i read new theories about Ancient Europe every week) but some of the dates involved are astounding, and putting 2 and 2 together something facinating and mysterious was happening on the Western fringe of Europe at that time that we are only slowly learning about.(just watched Ancient History of Britain on BBC1 if you're wondering). I don't think this advanced culture should be dismissed easily.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    19-01-12
    Posts
    8


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    When exactly did the Irish 'kick the English out'? Successive waves of 'English', from Strongbow's Anglo-Norman invaders through the Elizabethan and Williamite Plantations to the present day have settled in Ireland, and are now absorbed within the population. Like it or not, Northern Ireland is constitutionally part of Great Britain and the Eire government have given up all claims to the six counties of Ulster. That is some 'kicking out', eh Reinaert?

    Frankly, I wish the UK government would pull out of Northern Ireland. It would save the mainland British tax-payers a fortune in social security payments. Plus, there would be no 'Bratash' to blame for everything when the economy nose-dives without the generous EU handouts.

    What is Ireland's greatest contribution? Arguably literature from the early monks to Beckett and Joyce. Oh, and Val Doonican's 'Delaney's Donkey' is a fine tune.
    I believe it's a reference to the 1922 treaty that was forced from the UK during a bloody insurgency to win home Rule.

    Strongbow plus most upper class followers were Cambro Norman (not English) loyalists to French speaking kings of England (who brought an army from all over France and Belgium to take England). Strongbow’s lower class followers were mostly Welshmen and Flemings. So referring to them as English is similar to referring to Scottish or Iris soldiers in the British Army as Englishmen. Likewise many later "English" in Ireland were of Irish or Scandinavian Iris ancestry. That’s not to say there wasn’t any English input, there certainly was particularly from Bristol in Mediaeval times but by far and large much of the talk of “English” of the Pale was overblown.

    Elizabethan and Williamite Plantations? I’m familiar w Elizabethan Plantations in eastern, southern Ireland but the last plantation I’m familiar w was James I in Ulster. Wlich of course was mostly planted w Scots peasants, although there was some more English influx post civil war, I’m not familiar w any plantations from any Williams.

    As far as Irish contrbutions, maybe submarines.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    himagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-10-11
    Location
    Samaria, Michigan
    Posts
    89
    Points
    1,913
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,913, Level: 12
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

    Ethnic group
    Germanic
    Country: USA - Michigan



    Ah yes, Harp is a wonderful lager...and Guinness...well? I enjoy stouts but I have had many Belgian beers that put Guinness to shame. I think, on the whole, that I shall go with Irish literary figures.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Taharqa's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-01-12
    Posts
    31


    Country: USA - Kentucky



    Pubs most definitely.

  15. #15
    Elite member Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    hope's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-02-12
    Posts
    472
    Points
    5,166
    Level
    21
    Points: 5,166, Level: 21
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 72.0%


    Country: UK - Northern Ireland



    Literature without doubt, from the early annalists to the modern author!

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Eireannach's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-10-09
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    64
    Points
    2,770
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,770, Level: 15
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a2a1a1b4 L21

    Ethnic group
    Irish
    Country: Ireland



    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    When exactly did the Irish 'kick the English out'? Successive waves of 'English', from Strongbow's Anglo-Norman invaders through the Elizabethan and Williamite Plantations to the present day have settled in Ireland, and are now absorbed within the population. Like it or not, Northern Ireland is constitutionally part of Great Britain and the Eire government have given up all claims to the six counties of Ulster. That is some 'kicking out', eh Reinaert?
    Ulster has 9 counties. 6 of which make NI. "The Eire government"?? What is this? Éire is the Irish word for Ireland.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Frankly, I wish the UK government would pull out of Northern Ireland. It would save the mainland British tax-payers a fortune in social security payments. Plus, there would be no 'Bratash' to blame for everything when the economy nose-dives without the generous EU handouts.

    Ireland would undoubtedly be a better place if the British went home to their own island and stopped interferring in our island.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered
    albanopolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-02-13
    Posts
    369


    Country: Albania



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eireannach View Post
    Ulster has 9 counties. 6 of which make NI. "The Eire government"?? What is this? Éire is the Irish word for Ireland.




    Ireland would undoubtedly be a better place if the British went home to their own island and stopped interferring in our island.
    Seen things from New York I would guess Irish have contributed to the world with a lot of police officers, firefighters, beerdrinkers, presidents and pubs. I personally know a lot of them. Great people, beautifull women etc... But when you think how on earth, that little country called Ireland gave the world about 70 milion emigrants, its crazy... If it was not for English who colonized the new world, and opened new lands I would guess the Irish graves today will look like skyscrapers. There would have been no space empty..

  18. #18
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    6,498
    Points
    314,902
    Level
    100
    Points: 314,902, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by albanopolis View Post
    Seen things from New York I would guess Irish have contributed to the world with a lot of police officers, firefighters, beerdrinkers, presidents and pubs. I personally know a lot of them. Great people, beautifull women etc... But when you think how on earth, that little country called Ireland gave the world about 70 milion emigrants, its crazy... If it was not for English who colonized the new world, and opened new lands I would guess the Irish graves today will look like skyscrapers. There would have been no space empty..
    70 million immigrants ? Do you mean the accumulated total of people who emigrated from Ireland over the last 500 years ? Or people who can claim at least partial Irish ancestry outside Ireland today ? By either reckoning it isn't much. If you count partial ancestry in the USA today, and make the total for each ancestry, you get well over 1.5 billion people - 5 times the actual country's population. Some people can claim ancestry from more than 10 countries.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered
    albanopolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-02-13
    Posts
    369


    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    70 million immigrants ? Do you mean the accumulated total of people who emigrated from Ireland over the last 500 years ? Or people who can claim at least partial Irish ancestry outside Ireland today ? By either reckoning it isn't much. If you count partial ancestry in the USA today, and make the total for each ancestry, you get well over 1.5 billion people - 5 times the actual country's population. Some people can claim ancestry from more than 10 countries.
    I guess at least one parent Irish. In England alone there are 10 milion Irish. In usa there are 40 mil of them. Australia can easyly be called New Ireland. All Latin American countries with no exception have Irish. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but when you think of the size of the country they came from is frightening. Italy and England contrbiuted with the same amount of people to the New World, but the size of England and Italy in population and territorial terms was and is much bigger. My view is that, its the only country in the world where a lot more people live outside the country than in the country itself. Irish have contributed to the English culture through writters and artists. But that is not nessesary a contributon to the world. Anglosphere is not the world. I don't think Chinese care what Irish writters wrote in their books. They have more than enough of their own. The few scientists they have in science is the only contribution to the world that counts. But when you compare with Scotish contribution its a big difference. So few scots, so many great thinkers.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Overdrive31 days registered1000 Experience Points
    American Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-13
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    176
    Points
    1,079
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,079, Level: 8
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L21
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    west country English, Scotch-Irish, German
    Country: USA - Tennessee



    from a commercial perspective, the 2 greatest Irish contributions are the conflict in Northern Ireland, "The Troubles".....and the Irish mob. (LOL)

    Just for the fact, that if not for those 2 things, there wouldnt be so many American movies about Ireland or the Irish


    seriously, one their greatest contributions is their own history

    . Ancient Irish history, landmarks, dark-age Irish history, etc... has taught us alot about the history of Western EUrope in general,IMO.....and to me, Irish history, from ancient times to the modern day, just always seems interesting.

    Not every country can make such a claim.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Overdrive31 days registered1000 Experience Points
    American Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-13
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    176
    Points
    1,079
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,079, Level: 8
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L21
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    west country English, Scotch-Irish, German
    Country: USA - Tennessee



    Quote Originally Posted by albanopolis View Post
    I guess at least one parent Irish. In England alone there are 10 milion Irish. In usa there are 40 mil of them. Australia can easyly be called New Ireland. All Latin American countries with no exception have Irish. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but when you think of the size of the country they came from is frightening. . My view is that, its the only country in the world where a lot more people live outside the country than in the country itself. .

    not true....there are more people in North America with Scottish origins/ancestry than actually live in Scotland ,as well.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Aberdeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-11-13
    Posts
    1,013
    Points
    7,444
    Level
    25
    Points: 7,444, Level: 25
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 99.7%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

    Ethnic group
    Scottish, English and German
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    Quote Originally Posted by American Idiot View Post
    not true....there are more people in North America with Scottish origins/ancestry than actually live in Scotland ,as well.
    That's true. Canada has about 33 million people, and over 5 million of them are at least partly of Scottish descent and over 4 million of them are at least partly of Irish descent. Those figures are probably on the low side, since many people have no idea where their ancestors came from.

    So the Irish have given the world many waves of immigrants, and also have given the world a lot in terms of literature, theatre, music and dance. However, notwithstanding how good some Irish beers are, I think that the most wonderful thing the Irish have given the world is Bushmills whiskey.

Similar Threads

  1. Greatest British contribution to the world ?
    By Maciamo in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 31-05-14, 00:07
  2. Greatest Polish contribution(s) to the world ?
    By Maciamo in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-02-14, 14:32
  3. Greatest Indian contribution(s) to the world ?
    By Maciamo in forum History & Civilisations
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 19-11-13, 13:28
  4. Greatest Spanish contribution(s) to the world ?
    By Maciamo in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 206
    Last Post: 19-11-13, 13:24
  5. Greatest Swiss contribution(s) to the world ?
    By Maciamo in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-03-11, 17:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •