What makes you proud of your country?

Both actually. First of all my influence on selecting which country I was born into was very limited, not to say, zero.

this is exactly what i think also. one should be proud of something if he added something in it.

on the other hand i still get excited when i wacth my national team against others. and get proud if they win.

by the way if it is about football you may get proud of your country thousands times.:)

in turkey, (if it is not against turkey) most of the people supports germany in e.g. football games. turkish people appreciate germans too much and it is unique. mostly because of WW1 alliance, german discipline, mercedes (y) etc.

Proud to be on top of a ball floating in outer space, but what the hell is this?

I don't have any nationalistic feeling about The Netherlands. Read well.. The Netherlands is plural.
The Dutch did many good things, but many more bad things.
In modern time they joined the Anglo-American capitalism.
Companies are lead by pirates that chase for big bonuses, while the workers are treated like slaves with a low wage.
I grew up in a time when everybody was proud to work for a company. It was "our" company.
Now that's all gone. It's everyone for himself. And God isn't even there anymore to look after us.

@Angela et barbarian

Oh well, thank you very much for your efforts. :)
Thanks to you I'm almost feeling some sort of pride for my country now. lol

PS: Mozart was Austrian. But it's ok, I prefer Beethoven anyway lol

(Oh, keep Mozart anyway, those national borders are so silly!)
Then add in writers and philosophers. :)

I'm not really proud of Canada. It seems from 1867 onwards there is this underlaying obsession of keeping quebec inside the union either forcefully or make it politically impossible for it to leave. Case in point the FLQ crisis in the late 1960's, a couple of overnationlist quebecois kill a british diplomat and held a canadian politican hostage then Ottawa sends in the entire army to patrol the streets. I guess the rationale is if quebec leaves the differences separating English Canada and America would be so small it there wouldn't even be a need to have two countries.

Another example is how only recently that Ottawa has given aborginal peoples self-governing rights to their lands like the Tlicho. Of course there are people who tell me at least there still are aboriginal peoples in canada unlike the states who hunted and killed. If the aboriginal people didn't live in the northern regions of canada and the land was more hospitable for settlement the exact same thing would have happened to them aswell.

This is probably why there is an "identity" crisis in canadian social sphere where people usually say their ethnic background as a form of identification rather than their national identity as canadians.

Many things, but most of all is obviously us being the pioneers of the Discoveries.

Don't be shy to be proud of your ethnicity or country guys. Society may be heading in an ethnic-less direction in the traditional sense. I always saw ethnicity as generally positive. At least the eastern ethnicities I think always had a welcoming friendly, non-exclusionist sense to them. And also a sense of interest and discovery towards other ethnicities.

I don't have any nationalistic feeling about The Netherlands. Read well.. The Netherlands is plural.
The Dutch did many good things, but many more bad things.
In modern time they joined the Anglo-American capitalism.
Companies are lead by pirates that chase for big bonuses, while the workers are treated like slaves with a low wage.
I grew up in a time when everybody was proud to work for a company. It was "our" company.
Now that's all gone. It's everyone for himself. And God isn't even there anymore to look after us.

A similar sense applies to most European countries does it not? Countries, football teams, cultural events... everything feels like a corporation to me.

Proud to be Albanian!
And do you know why? Being Albanian is a challenge of destiny. Being Albanian is a nice game where all claim to be referees.
Are you in power and might lose the election? No problem, you can find mercenaries willing to fill the ballot boxes for you.
You're in opposition and assume power? Sorry, but this is a national betrayal since the position has governed very well. But the democracy allows you to boycott the parliament, to hamper the reforms and thus to discredit the government.
Ah, you're the victim of a crime and the court has punished you and not criminal? Don't worry, you can go to the nearest bank, get a loan to buy gun (be careful, keep the amount to pay judges), kill criminal and the problem is solved: this time the court will give you the right! And now, after the revenge you feel proud, don't you?

Wow, Albanians certainly have a 'unique' mentality, for fear of using a more pejorative term. I tend to think/hope this culture of blood feuds and revenge is just exaggeration but you're attitude would kill that. Man, that is an incredibly primitive misanthropic attitude.

Last edited:
Wow, Albanians certainly have a 'unique' mentality, for fear of using a more pejorative term. I tend to think/hope this culture of blood feuds and revenge is just exaggeration but you're attitude would kill that. Man, that is an incredibly primitive misanthropic attitude.

I do not really know where you are from, but I bet you are a Serb. Shame on you for all your insults. I really criticized the Albanians for any fault they have (I criticized above mainly Albanian politics) but you should know that Albanians have never applied feud in the state policy level and have not caused any tragedy to anyone. There is someone else in the Balkans who can boast for such "values". You live in Sarajevo and the reader can easily understand your mentality. I dare to criticize the Albanians while you dare to insult them!
Even you accuse me for “primitive misanthropic attitude”. You, Serbian "philanthropist"!
What an irony!

Last edited:
Hal Fao, believe me I have no intention to particularly insult. I really have very little against Albanians. I primarily hold Team America responsible for the outcomes in the Balkans during the last two decades... Just specifically on blood feuds, as an outsider to this culture, and most people are, it definitely sounds pretty crazy and primitive. Apparently today 5500 Albanian families are engaged in blood feuds, and there have been 10000 deaths since 1992. I mean that surpasses any figures that Serbs apparently oppressed Albanians enough on to have Serbia and Montenegro have the shit bombed out of them by Team America. ...I am also referring this historically to Dukanjini's Code. It all seems very relateable to your first post as a reflection of your mentality. And actually I'm not going to apologise for saying I think blood feuds are very messed up and that Albanians should do away with that particular aspect of their culture.

Last edited:
I'm proud of my country because we have OUR way of life, and nobody will change it...

We are not perfect, but we have refused the "Anglo-American" mentality and their sytems...

We will die in the shit, but this is OUR shit...

Thumbs up to you VonRoust. You are French hey? I love the French for all I know of their culture, mentality & beautiful language. French always sounds like the most beautiful language to my ears. After French I love also the sound of Spanish. I have known a few French people. Some also from French colonies but they seem to always have something so charming about them. It raises the issue of the effect of language on peoples thoughts and how it can shape them.

My parents come from so many different places, and jet I would never change my Vojvodina for anything. I guess home is where the heart is, not where your ancestors come form.

I love the mentality, we are good hosts, we eat good, although not very healthy food, we take things with ease and do everything slowly. It is my life philosophy as well, although I appreciate when I meet someone totally different.

What is unhealthy about your food?
I think there is nothing that can top urban industrial-mass-produced nutritional lifestyle, like it is practiced in most places of North America, Australia and most parts of North Western Europe.

Last edited:
=> Gusar

Sorry, yes i'm French, i come from Nantes the capital of Brittany...

And you, what is your nationality?
And samantha? Serbian?

This thread has been viewed 107635 times.

Back