Y-DNA Haplogroups in Iraqi Kurdistan

Thats why I was talking about Scytho- Medians. Heredotus the Greek mentioned that the Medians were made up by six or seven tribes. two of them were later well known Scythian. Another interesting tribe of Medians was called "Aryan" there is even today a kurdish tribe with the tribe Name Aryan. I have a assume, it might be possible that the Medes were something like a Mother Group from which all the other Iranic tribes did evolved.

I have theory that Indo-Aryans were J2 with some G..alternatively they could have been R1a as those 3 haplogroups are present in Bramins

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?26093-Indo-Aryans

South Ossetians are mainly of Haplogroup G. Ossetians of Dardania have beside of Haplogroup G also a good portion of I and R1a too. Very similar to Kurds. I think the Alans(Sarmatians) were mainly G, R1a, J* and I
I did not know that there is Dardania in Caucasus as well
Dardanians lived in area of Kosovo, south Serbia

and so far we guessed that they were E-V13 and R1b and that Albanians origin from them...

there is also Albania in Caucasus
Is Dardania in that area?

I did not know that there is Dardania in Caucasus as well
Dardanians lived in area of Kosovo, south Serbia

Sorry my mistake. I wrote Dardania but meant Diagora. Ossetians of Diagora have 13% I and Ossetians of Ardon have 30% I.

there is also Albania in Caucasus
Is Dardania in that area?

There was a Albania in the Caucasus. And a Iberia too.

Hello Kak Alan,

I agree with you on the Alan thing, it's very common among Kurds (especially in south/Iraqi Kurdistan), the name Aryan is also quite common in the sorani regions.

I lived in South/Iraqi Kurdistan for a long time, and I can safely say that a lot of Kurds are born with european features (blond hair etc) however by the age of 6 usually we lose these features (that happened with me, I had very light brown hair and now I have black hair) also we live in a very very hot area with peaks of 50 degrees! and so many of us get tanned, however these are the White Kurds that resist all of that and keep their features through their life! and most white Kurds look Germanic/Russian...

I'll post some pics for ya.

I think you get the idea, but I can post more up on request.

"They did found Stone tablets in a kurdish Region of Turkish Kurdistan"

Only an ignorant goat would call the region of acient Edessa kurdish region of Turkish Kurdistan. The other absurd thing is White Kurds, Y-DNA does not constitue skin color.

Hello Kak Alan,

I agree with you on the Alan thing, it's very common among Kurds (especially in south/Iraqi Kurdistan), the name Aryan is also quite common in the sorani regions.

I lived in South/Iraqi Kurdistan for a long time, and I can safely say that a lot of Kurds are born with european features (blond hair etc) however by the age of 6 usually we lose these features (that happened with me, I had very light brown hair and now I have black hair) also we live in a very very hot area with peaks of 50 degrees! and so many of us get tanned, however these are the White Kurds that resist all of that and keep their features through their life! and most white Kurds look Germanic/Russian...

I'll post some pics for ya.

I think you get the idea, but I can post more up on request.

Haplogroups can be a sign of features but do not have direct contact with Phenotypes. The Kurds with light Hair, from my observation go more in a "slavic" than German direction. light hair in the Childhood is nothing uncommon in the whole Western Asian Region. And they are genetically not different from those with Black Hair. So stop separating them from other Kurds by calling them "White Kurds" I don´´t like such comments.

http://en.ostan-kd.ir/Default.aspx?TabId=51
History of the Kurds

Kurds are one of the Iranian peoples and speak a north-western Iranian language related to Persian.
With regard to the origin of the Kurds, it was formerly considered sufficient to describe them as the descendants of the Carduchi, who opposed the retreat of the Ten Thousand through the mountains in the 4th century BC. But modern research traces them far beyond the period of the Greeks. In their own histories, they are proud to mention the Hurrian period in the mid third millennium BC as the earliest documented period. The 3rd millennium was the time of the Guti and Hattians, the 2nd and 1st the time of the Kassites, Mitanni, Mannai, Urartu, and Mushku. It should be mentioned that the Kurds are an Indo-European people, whereas the above groups are thought to have been non Indo-Europeans, apart from the original Mitanni leadership. However, Kurds consider themselves as much Indo-European as they do any of these.
At the dawn of history the mountains overhanging Assyria were held by a people named Gutii, a title which signified "a warrior", and which was rendered in Assyrian by the synonym of Gardu or Kardu, the precise term quoted by Strabo to explain the name of the Car daces. These Gutii were a tribe of such power as to be placed in the early Cuneiform records on an equality with the other nations of western Asia, that is, with the Syrians and Hittites, the Susians, Elamites, and Akkadians of Babylonia; and during the whole period of the Assyrian Empire they seem to have preserved a more-or-less independent political position.
After the fall of Nineveh the Gutii coalesced with the Medes, and, in common with all the nations inhabiting the high plateaus of Asia Minor, Armenia and Persia, became gradually Aryanised, owing to the immigration at this period of history of tribes in overwhelming numbers who, from whatever quarter they may have sprung, belonged certainly to the Aryan family.
Cyrus reduced the Gutii or Kurdu to subjection before he descended upon Babylon, and furnished a contingent of fighting men to his successors, being thus mentioned under the names of "Saspirians" and "Alarodians" in the muster roll of the army of Xerxes, which Herodotus has preserved.
In later times they passed successively under the sway of the Macedonians, the Parthians, and Sassanids, being especially befriended, if we may judge from tradition as well as from the remains still existing in the country, by the Arsacid monarchs, who were probably of a cognate race. Gotarzes indeed, whose name may perhaps be translated "chief of the Gutii", was traditionally believed to be the founder of the Gurans, the principal tribe of southern Kurdistan, and his name and titles are still preserved in a Greek inscription at Behistun near the Kurdish capital of Kermanshah.
Under the caliphs of Baghdad the Kurds were always giving trouble in one quarter or another. In AD 838, and again in 905, formidable insurrections occurred in northern Kurdistan; the amir, Aqpd-addaula, was obliged to lead ten forces of the caliphate against the southern Kurds, capturing the famous fortress of Sermaj, of which the ruins are to be seen at the present day near Behistun, and reducing the province of Shahrizor with its capital city now marked by the great mound of Yassin Teppeh.
The most flourishing period of Kurdish power was probably during the 12th century, when the great Saladin, who belonged to the Rawendi branch of the Hadabani tribe, founded the Ayyubite dynasty of Syria, and Kurdish chieftain hips were established, not only to the east and west of the Kurdistan mountains, but as far as Khorasan upon one side and Egypt and Yemen on the other.
During the Mongol and Tatar domination of western Asia the Kurds in the mountains remained for the most part passive, yielding a reluctant obedience to the provincial governors of the plains. When Sultan Selim I, after defeating Shah Ismail I in 1514, annexed Armenia and Kurdistan, he entrusted the organization of the conquered territories to Idris, the historian, who was a Kurd of Bitlis. Idris found Kurdistan bristling with castles, held by hereditary tribal chiefs of Kurd, Arab, and Armenian descent, who were practically independent, and passed their time in tribal warfare or in raiding the agricultural population. He divided the territory into sanjaks or districts, and, making no attempt to interfere with the principle of heredity, installed the local chiefs as governors. He also resettled the rich pastoral country between Erzerum and Erivan, which had lain waste since the passage of Timur, with Kurds from the Hakkari and Bohtan districts.
The system of administration introduced by Idris remained unchanged until the close of the Russo-Turkish War of 1828-29. But the Kurds, owing to the remoteness of their country from the capital and the decline of Turkey, had greatly increased in influence and power, and had spread westwards over the country as far as Angora.
After the war the Kurds attempted to free themselves from Turkish control, and in 1834, after the Bedirkhan clan uprising, it became necessary to reduce them to subjection. Reshid Pasha did this. The principal towns were strongly garrisoned, and Turkish governors replaced many of the Kurd beys. A rising under Bedr Khan Bey in 1843 was firmly repressed, and after the Crimean War the Turks strengthened their hold on the country. The Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78 was followed by the attempt of Sheikh Obaidullah in 1880 - 1881 to found an independent Kurd principality under the protection of Turkey. The attempt, at first encouraged by the Porte, as a reply to the projected creation of an Armenian state under the suzerainty of Russia, collapsed after Obaidullah's raid into Persia, when various circumstances led the central government to reassert its supreme authority. Until the Russo-Turkish War of 1828-29 there had been little hostile feeling between the Kurds and the Armenians, and as late as 1877 - 1878 the mountaineers of both races had co-existed fairly well together. Both suffered from Turkey, both dreaded Russia. But the national movement amongst the Armenians, and its encouragement by Russia after the latest war, gradually aroused race hatred and fanaticism.
In 1891 the activity of the Armenian Committees induced the Porte to strengthen the position of the Kurds by raising a body of Kurdish irregular cavalry, which was well armed and called Hamidieh after the Sultan Abd-ul-Hamid II. The opportunities thus offered for plunder and the gratification of race hatred brought out the worst qualities of the Kurds. Minor disturbances constantly occurred, and were soon followed by the massacre of Armenians at Sasun and other places, 1894 - 1896, in which the Kurds took an active part.
This article uses text from 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.

This is my opinion on the Origin of Kurds.

The first Kurds and Name Giver are definitive the Gutians. Later this Gutians mixed with the Hurrians.

Scythians and Medes mixed up with the Gutians. So the Carduchi arose. Which according to "Xenephon" spoke Scythian and Median Dialects believed in the Hurrian Sky God Teshub and according to "Arshak Safrastian" had Gutians among them which were presented as Scythians and Medes in Corduene .

So in my opinion

first Kurds = Gutians

Gutians + Hurrians = neo Gutians Gutium, karda

Neo Gutians + Scythians, Medes, Alans = Karduchi

Of course there were also other Groups which left their mark, like the Cimmerians etc.

But the main and most important Groups are the above.

Gutians being Name Giver.
Scythians, Alans and Medes language giving
And Hurrians being also a native Group living in this area and most probably uniting with Gutians against Assyrians

Between the Gutians are usually brought in contact with the Tocharians. I do not know if we can trust this. But also according to new Studies everything seems like the first Indo Europeans were pastors and moved out of West Asia. Gutians maybe were one of the first and most archaic Indo European Groups. Which mixed with the back migrating Scythians/Alans/Medes. But this is only a Theory.

Last edited:
well by what I know the population of Kurds looks like is European origin,

could they be connected with the Skudra case???????

in an older language, Surdi means soldier.

I mean that were balcanic people that follow Darius A at 512 Bc??
and not connected with local population before 500 Bc.

simply I know that their types of I2 is I2a2,

remember Kurds are wearing the Causia as the Makedonians.
in older photos we see that,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skudra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kausia

Skudra is known that went very west, Kurds are Persian Speaking,
just wandering if they were Balcanic people that were moved by Darius A

the abone is not certain simply it is an thought that connects the Persian language, and European Y-Dna

http://en.ostan-kd.ir/Default.aspx?TabId=51

In 1891 the activity of the Armenian Committees induced the Porte to strengthen the position of the Kurds by raising a body of Kurdish irregular cavalry, which was well armed and called Hamidieh after the Sultan Abd-ul-Hamid II. The opportunities thus offered for plunder and the gratification of race hatred brought out the worst qualities of the Kurds. Minor disturbances constantly occurred, and were soon followed by the massacre of Armenians at Sasun and other places, 1894 - 1896, in which the Kurds took an active part.
This article uses text from 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.

well this overview is very one-sided if you ask me. The Reason why some Kurdish Groups were involved in this massacres is that the Armenians tried to build a "greater Armenia" with Russian help in Regions which were even dominantly kurdish. There are more than enough evidences showing that the Armenians tried a ethnic cleansing by killing innocent non Armenian People in Eastern Anatolia. We also have maps dawn by German and French. showing that 90% of the Regions claimed by nationalistic Armenian Groups were not even half Armenian some even less than 10% before the Genocide. Armenians were massacred that is true but they were not that innocent.

This proportion of haplogroups looks even more European than what is found in Greece or South Italy ! (more hg I and R, less hg E and J)
Maciamo you consider all haplogroup R European and all haplogroup E African that's why Kurds seem more ''European'' to you. But the majority of E in Greece and South Italy is by large of European origin (Balkanic) while the majority of R in Kurds is of Asian origin...

well this overview is very one-sided if you ask me. The Reason why some Kurdish Groups were involved in this massacres is that the Armenians tried to build a "greater Armenia" with Russian help in Regions which were even dominantly kurdish. There are more than enough evidences showing that the Armenians tried a ethnic cleansing by killing innocent non Armenian People in Eastern Anatolia. We also have maps dawn by German and French. showing that 90% of the Regions claimed by nationalistic Armenian Groups were not even half Armenian some even less than 10% before the Genocide. Armenians were massacred that is true but they were not that innocent.

well that is not true,
cause Kurds follow Topal Osman in the Rum Genocide,
the numbers and the stories, say that Turks respect in majority the leaving Greeks, But Topal Osman and Kurds just slain for Gold,
I have read many stories,
In fact there a story about a pasa who order his soldiers to protect Greeks from Kurds that wanted land and Gold,
the story goes that Kurds were the great Mercenairies of Turks, and the tribal chieftain took a lot of Gold to made the massacres,
I know that cause a friend of Mine was a 'deli' that time,

Kurds even today have a strange kind of thinking, Great warriors but never united, they served whoever pay them, until 1920, I don't know today.

well that is not true,
cause Kurds follow Topal Osman in the Rum Genocide,
the numbers and the stories, say that Turks respect in majority the leaving Greeks, But Topal Osman and Kurds just slain for Gold,
I have read many stories,
In fact there a story about a pasa who order his soldiers to protect Greeks from Kurds that wanted land and Gold,
the story goes that Kurds were the great Mercenairies of Turks, and the tribal chieftain took a lot of Gold to made the massacres,
I know that cause a friend of Mine was a 'deli' that time,

Kurds even today have a strange kind of thinking, Great warriors but never united, they served whoever pay them, until 1920, I don't know today.

My Point wasnt to prove that Kurds took not part in killing Armenians because some Kurds did of course. What I am trying to tell is that Armenians tried to invade Eastern Anatolia and establish a new "greater Armenia" this is a Fact. If you dont support this than please show me evidences which speak against this.
Here is a map of 1920 showing the Regions claimed by Armenian nationalists. interestingly even parts of the Pontus which belong to the Laz and Pontus Greeks was claimed by them.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Proposed_Armenian_state_in_Asia_Minor.png

map showing Armenian Population in 1896 (before the Genocide)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Armenian_population_map_1896.jpg

I myself know that most Kurds were some kind of Mercenaries and I also know that the Kurds were mainly used as Janissaries in conquering the Balkans many Kurds were also settled in Greece at that time. It is true that Kurds were (are ) warrior like and were never really under control of any Empire. I know books were it is said how even the Turks didnt dare to enter the kurdish areas. I know a book were a Traveler describes how the Turks, Armenians and Laz were hiding in fear of kurdish cavalryman.
however today the Kurds especially the younger generation has changed and the unity is by far bigger.

This isnt the problem i do accept that. But what i dont accept is the armenians are shown too innocent. there was indeed an attack by Armenians on Kurds in hope they could establish a new greater Armenia. I have lost some of my ancestors to this.

I wonder from where this story is. Never heard about a pasha who tried to protect the Greeks from Kurds who slaughtered them. I hope not next someone will claim Kurds occupied the Pontus and driven out the Greeks.

between another interesting similarity between ancient Scythian tribes and Kurds is the love for Gold.

Last edited:
Maciamo you consider all haplogroup R European and all haplogroup E African that's why Kurds seem more ''European'' to you. But the majority of E in Greece and South Italy is by large of European origin (Balkanic) while the majority of R in Kurds is of Asian origin...

Agree and disagree. Haplogroup J and E belong as much to Europe as R but there is no European or Asiatic J like you claim. The J among Greeks are J2a and J2b this are also the only subgroups found in the Near East. And there is almost no difference among the R in the Middle East and the one in Greece exception some in South Asia.

Agree and disagree. Haplogroup J and E belong as much to Europe as R but there is no European or Asiatic J like you claim. The J among Greeks are J2a and J2b this are also the only subgroups found in the Near East. And there is almost no difference among the R in the Middle East and the one in Greece exception some in South Asia.
But Kurds have as much J1 as Ashkenazi or Shefardi Jews nowhere near European people (for example Greeks have 2-3%, S.Italians have around 4% while Kurds have 15%). They also have a lot of Central Asian haplogroups like P,Q,N wich do not exist in Southern Europe. And by the way there are indeed diffences in haplogroup R in Middle East and Southern Europe ( Greeks have sub-clades R1b1b2a1ad (U-152)= 4.2% and R1a1a1a7= 3.8% wich are definetely of European origin and together total around 8.0% while Kurds have none of them.

But Kurds have as much J1 as Ashkenazi or Shefardi Jews nowhere near European people (for example Greeks have 2-3%, S.Italians have around 4% while Kurds have 15%). They also have a lot of Central Asian haplogroups like P,Q,N wich do not exist in Southern Europe. And by the way there are indeed diffences in haplogroup R in Middle East and Southern Europe ( Greeks have sub-clades R1b1b2a1ad (U-152)= 4.2% and R1a1a1a7= 3.8% wich are definetely of European origin and together total around 8.0% while Kurds have none of them.

Wait a minute please. Just to make this clear. Here is no discussion about Kurds being European or not. Dont come up with something what isnt on discussion.

Before you make any statements do it with Sources. 15% J1 among Kurds according to which Study? 11,6 % J1 were found among Iraqi Kurds and 0% among Anatolian Kurds but this is probably higher cause some of the F* were not defined and would probably come out as J1. So I assume 3-4% J1 among Anatolian Kurds.

Anatolian Kurds with 15-20 million Population are by far more representative than 5 million Iraqi Kurds. so you come hardly over 5% J1 and beside that the high majority of J1 among Kurds belongs to J1* and is related to that found among Caucasus populations.

The P you are referring to is probably P1(R2a), because P* is undefined R* or Q ( in kurdish case probably R), and R2(P1) is around 5%. But R2 was recently also found in Slavic Groups and Iberia. And it is a very Young Haplogroup probably not older than 1- or 2000 Years.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R2/default.aspx?section=yresults

About Q, how much do the Kurds have? Cause I couldnt find any study showing Q among Kurds. So I assume it might probably be around 0-3% and the frequency is not bigger as among some European groups. So not worth to be mentioned.

Please no baseless statements.

Last edited:
In a sample of 251 Kurds from Anatolia:
P = 10.0 %
J1 = 11.2 %
H = 2.4 %
K = 4.8 %
Source: Flores et.al (2005)
I don't know if P is Q, R2 or P* but all of these haplogroups are non existant in Europe. Haplogroup J1 is >10 % in Kurds wethere they are from Anatolia or Iraq.

My Point wasnt to prove that Kurds took not part in killing Armenians because some Kurds did of course. What I am trying to tell is that Armenians tried to invade Eastern Anatolia and establish a new "greater Armenia" this is a Fact. If you dont support this than please show me evidences which speak against this.
Here is a map of 1920 showing the Regions claimed by Armenian nationalists. interestingly even parts of the Pontus which belong to the Laz and Pontus Greeks was claimed by them.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Proposed_Armenian_state_in_Asia_Minor.png

map showing Armenian Population in 1896 (before the Genocide)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Armenian_population_map_1896.jpg

I myself know that most Kurds were some kind of Mercenaries and I also know that the Kurds were mainly used as Janissaries in conquering the Balkans many Kurds were also settled in Greece at that time. It is true that Kurds were (are ) warrior like and were never really under control of any Empire. I know books were it is said how even the Turks didnt dare to enter the kurdish areas. I know a book were a Traveler describes how the Turks, Armenians and Laz were hiding in fear of kurdish cavalryman.
however today the Kurds especially the younger generation has changed and the unity is by far bigger.

This isnt the problem i do accept that. But what i dont accept is the armenians are shown too innocent. there was indeed an attack by Armenians on Kurds in hope they could establish a new greater Armenia. I have lost some of my ancestors to this.

I wonder from where this story is. Never heard about a pasha who tried to protect the Greeks from Kurds who slaughtered them. I hope not next someone will claim Kurds occupied the Pontus and driven out the Greeks.

between another interesting similarity between ancient Scythian tribes and Kurds is the love for Gold.

the area is near Ordu, yes there were many, not one, I will not anounce names due to respect, but in many areas Turk pasa protect evacuated Rum from thieves and murderers, while in other they ordered a massacre,

Last edited:
In a sample of 251 Kurds from Anatolia:
P = 10.0 %
J1 = 11.2 %
H = 2.4 %
K = 4.8 %
Source: Flores et.al (2005)
I don't know if P is Q, R2 or P* but all of these haplogroups are non existant in Europe. Haplogroup J1 is >10 % in Kurds wethere they are from Anatolia or Iraq.

Flores at al.

http://www.thegeneticatlas.com/study_flores2005.htm

Haplogroup J1 is >10 % in Kurds wethere they are from Anatolia or Iraq.

Isolates in a corridor of migrations: a high-resolution analysis of Y-chromosome variation in Jordan

Youa are using a Study on some kurdish refugees from Jordan(originally from Iraq) to prove your point?
Is this meant to be a joke?

There are Studies about Kurds but half of them are about refugees or diaspora Kurds from Turkmenistan which are mixed with the native Populations.

NO, 251 Kurds from all over the world. From Anatolia to Turkmenistan. Turkmenistan is not in the Middle East.

Flores et al. (2005) is a study about Jordan. Flores et.al (2005) 'recycled' (made-up) samples of Kurds from: (7) Wells et al. (2001); (13) Nebel et al. (2001); (18) Nasidze et al. (2005) and Cruciani et al. (2004) without any correlation with each other. I can't find any J1 in one of these used studies. He took E from a Turkish population from Cruciani et al. (2004) and without any recalculation of the total population, I don't know why I is so low. I see many huge errors in Flores et.al (2005). Almost everything is made-up. It's a very strange and obscure practice of science. And a sample size of 251 is made-up (wrong) too. This is more abracadabra and manipulation of data than science! I'm waiting for a more credible source, please.

Thank you very much exactly my Point. He basically uses all Studies on Kurds without correlation. You cant use a study about Kurds from Jordan or Georgia which are in Number under 50 thousand or Turkmenistan in far diaspora and use the samples in the same weight as samples of a Study about Kurds from their mainlands with a population over 30-40 million. This is amateurish or just a manipulation.

the area is near Ordu, yes there were many, not one, I will not anounce names due to respect, but in many areas Turk pasa protect evacuated Rum from thieves and murderers, while in other they ordered a massacre,

well than i apologize for what some Kurdish groups did in interests of others.. And i am also sorry for what happened to the native Armenians. Even if some Groups among them behaved in a too nationalistic way the civilians did not deserve to be slaughtered but this unfortunately is how the world sometimes works. The innocent People pay for their leaders mistakes.

This thread has been viewed 89261 times.

Back