Prince William and Kate Middleton marriage

Dagne

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Lithuanian
Prince William and Kate Middleton’s marriage would be invalid according to Roman Catholic Canon Law if they concluded a prenuptial agreement that stipulated conditions for divorce and remarrying someone else…

I am not sure how the Anglican Church treats the prenuptial agreements, but the idea behind the Roman Catholic Canon law is that "A marriage subject to a condition about the future cannot be contracted validly." And if a couple enters into marriage thinking of divorce that clearly indicates that they don’t take the oath on marriage seriously and should not be marrying in Church at all. Of course, if the prenuptial agreement relates only to property division in connection to children (of previuos marriages for instant) that doesn’t invalidate the marriage.

I did hear that the Royal couple had a prenuptial agreement made but its content was kept strictly confidential ...

Hmm.. They had their wedding in the Anglican Church, and so they have nothing to do with the Roman Catholic Church.

BTW The Anglican Church was even made by Henry the 8th to get a grumpy Pope off his back.
The Anglican Church was even made to make a divorce possible..
So, what do you expect?

Not only that, but a British monarch is not permitted to be a Roman Catholic, nor is any royal permitted to marry a Roman Catholic. A Prime Minister is now allowed to be Catholic I think, but such is the bias in Britiain that a Catholic would never be elected.

So much for anti-discrimination laws in the EU! The poor Brits are terribly paranoid and still think the big bad Catholics are going to come across the channel and convert them all.

Who cares about the Catholic Church ? Their "laws" have no meaning whatsoever from a legal point of view. A wedding done by a priest (instead of a town) hall has no legal value in Europe, except in Italy where there is a special convention between the Vatican and the Italian government.

In Spain catholic, jewish, evangelic and muslim marriages have legal character. They share the same juridical effects with civil agreements.

In the end, it doesn't matter what kind of beliefs you defend, a marriage is a civil contract.

"In Spain catholic, jewish, evangelic and muslim marriages have legal character. They share the same juridical effects with civil agreements".

In Lithuania, too, one can marry in Church and that will have equal legal powers as civil registration. And it must be so in Poland, too.

In the end, it doesn't matter what kind of beliefs you defend, a marriage is a civil contract.[/QUOTE]

Well, the Catholic church says that marriage is a contract, however, it is more than a civil contract which is open to termination and changing on mind. The reason why I posted this thread is a somewhat paradox - the majority of the people don't accept Church's (or at least Catholic Church) doctrines behind the marriage, but almost everybody still want to get their Church wedding ceremony. Or perhaps it is so only in some countries?

This thread has been viewed 9252 times.

Back