The pelasgians

idk wtf is going on here but pelasgian/or ancient greek have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with albanian. the albanian language was brought down from central europe sometime around 2000 B.C. with the illyrians (or some other balkan language though unlikely imo). Greeks lived in Albania, and when they moved down south that is when the illyrians settled there and made central/northern albania their capital (shkoder and rizon).

Albania shares way too many features with Balto-Slavic and more distantly Germanic, which means they must have been in contact for a good amt of time before this language came down to the balkans.

Allow me to answer that. According to the mythology
Gaia Γαῖα, or Gē Γῆ, was the goddess or personification of Earth. Gaia was the great mother of all.
Now try this dictionary: www.argjiro.net/fjalor and insert the word: gjë.
The result would be:

English (23 entries.)------------Shqip (23 hyrje.)
thing---------------------------gjë {f} (tsh gjëja) (sh gjëra)
all------------------------------çdo gjë, çdokush
anything------------------------ndonjë gjë

Sometimes "Gjë" was called "δᾶ" da meaning Earth.
If so try to use the dictionary above, putting the Albanian word : dhe . The result would be:

ground (n)--------dhe {m} (tsh dheu) {sh dhera)
land--------------dhe (tsh dheu) (sh dhera)
soil---------------dhe {m} (tsh dheu) (sh dhera)

If the common consensus is that this is a Pelasgian word, you might have the answer right here, which nation is speaking their language now.
I do not know where have you found that Albanian gjë means all. Here is what it really means:
In Gheg dialect: gja /ghja/ = 1- thing (n); 2- matter (n). Definite: gjaja /ghjaja/.
In standard Albanian: gjë (definite gjëja).
May be it cognates with Greek Γαῖα in the same way as Albanian lëndë = 1- material (n); 2- matter (n), (in Gheg: land) cognates with with P. germanic *landom.

The first derivative of Albanian gjë (or gje, both forms are useful) seems to be the verb gjej (in Tosk gjenj) that means obtain, find (first person singular) or gjen (second and third person singular). Is there anyone to explain if there is any relation of this Albanian word with Latin generare(to produce, to beget)?

It seems like second Etruscan language stele has been found in Lemnos island,
that is official,
Soon that stele with many other evidences will be reveiled in a scientif conferance-symposium

Seems like it is more clear now who were the Pelasgians, and lexicon will be more rich with their vocabulary.
from their mettalurgy and goods and many others archaological founds seems to enter 2 times in Island,
one before 1600 BC and one at 1100-800 BC.
their homeland seems to be Lydia and Lycaonia,
and shared vocabulary with Phoenicians,
Besides Lemnos has 3 etymologies
1 ) Phoenician white- sun shining
2) Homeric Ληις + Μελεα = flock of sheeps
3) in Mycenean we see Λαμνιαι Λα = stone (Lapis) in Pelasgian to some + unkown pelasgian etymology

it seems like god Ηφαιστος (Hephastos) was Thyrrenian origin (at least the name), as also Καβειρες,

I wonder Σιντιες Sinties the people Homer mention do they look like Hephastos?

from their bronze mettalurgy it is certain that are connected with South-West minor Asia ,
(area with enough G HG :unsure:)
surely in 2 waves, yet it is unknown if existed also before at neolithic settlements like Sesklo/dimini where we see co-existance of 2 differents cultures-populations.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070616191637.htm

there seems to be a genetic connection between tuscany, lemnos, and lydia. There is an interesting sentence in the article above:
"Rather they learned to write from their Greek neighbours and thus revealed their language. Archaeologists and linguists are in agreement that the Etruscans had been developing their culture and language in situ before the first historical record of their existence."
This leads me to think that there must have been etruscans also in the mainland balkans. I would like to know if there are found any etruscan artifacts in mainland greece, albania, or macedonia.

Heard on Albanian tv from Neritan Ceka (well known albanian archeolog) that toponims Larissa in greek ,and Lissus in albanian are of Pellazgian origin. He also said that there is not continuity from Pellazgians to today's Albanians. (I don't know what he meant by that.

Heard on Albanian tv from Neritan Ceka (well known albanian archeolog) that toponims Larissa in greek ,and Lissus in albanian are of Pellazgian origin. He also said that there is not continuity from Pellazgians to today's Albanians. (I don't know what he meant by that.

He has a reputation in line, so he does not go further than Albanians = Illyrians. The more ambitious version is: Illyrian = (IE colonizers + Pelasgians), because the pelasgians did not just dissapear.

lissus (Illyrian)- lis (alb) - oak - harlitz (basque)

pelasgian has no ties with the greek language which is a newcomer in this region and is an invented language of the church like latin was the langugae of the parlament

He has a reputation in line, so he does not go further than Albanians = Illyrians. The more ambitious version is: Illyrian = (IE colonizers + Pelasgians), because the pelasgians did not just dissapear.

lissus (Illyrian)- lis (alb) - oak - harlitz (basque)

Sorry,

Lissus is a Greek word,
Lissus a Greek Colony in Modern Albania modern Lezhe
Lissos a Greek city in Crete,
Lission A Greek city
Lecce a province in Italy inhabited by ancients Greek (Kalimera Salentino Galatini)

Diodoros is clear ,
Lezhe is after Greek Lissos ΛΙΣΣΟΣ

Sorry,

Lissus is a Greek word,
what does "Lis" mean in Greek? In Albanian it means "oak tree".

Lissus a Greek Colony in Modern Albania modern Lezhe
It started as a Sicilian-Greek colony, founded by Dionysus of Siracuse in 385 BC, then it became Illyrian sometime between then and 211 BC, when it was taken from the Illyrians for a short period of time by Philip-V of Macedon.

I'm not a linguist but I'm fascinated by it. So I do read a lot about IE languages and came across "Modern Greek language" by Edmund Martin Geldart. I'm rephrasing him:
The popular notion of the Greeks themselves that the Albanians are the ancient Pelasgians, may be after all not very far from the truth. Certain is, that in Albanian, in spite of its corrupt or modernized state, as seen in the poverty of its case endings etc., we do undoubtedly find the meeting point of Greek and Latin.
The fact that we find in Albanian the Greek and Latin sounds combined, proves general identity of the modern with the ancient Greek pronunciation to something very like demonstration.
…Albanian presents us, in a mutilated shape, with the Graeco-Italic language before it had split into Greek and Italic.
We have already seen that Albanian preserves many of the Sanscrit forms which Latin and Greek have lost… (pages 128-137) Also I'd like to mention Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza's "Genes, Languages and People" where on page 163 he says: In our tree, several languages have an early, separate origin: Albanian, Armenian, and later, though somewhat less clearly, Greek. On page 164 is the IE languages tree, with Albanian dating 9,000 years, followed by Armenian at 8,500 and then Greek 7,000.

Reactions: FBS

This thread has been viewed 49278 times.

Back