Coming Soon! Iceman whole genome will be published!

geiserich

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1b2a1a1b3 aka R1b
The whole genome of the iceman "ötzi" is investigated and the results will be published at 20. October 2011.
Does anybody guess his Y-Haplogroup.
I think he is probably G2a.
Maciamo: Is there a possibility, that he is R1b1a2? And which subclade?

otzi is mtdna of K10 and his dna is as you said G2a. This is because he was found in the middle of the Raeti/Rhaeti tribes of Venostes and Vennonete who resided in the modern region of Veneto in the alps.
The raeti are , when I read infomation once, 64% G2a

hmmm word association - Venotes & Vennonetes = Veneti ( Venetic) , in the Veneto.

Are the veneti really raeti :startled::grin: or :shocked:

I don't think that Ötzi's Y-DNA has been revealed yet, but I concur that it will probably be G2a, or possibly I2a. R1b is possible (although very unlikely), but only the archaic Middle Eastern version, not the common European R1b1b2 since it only arrived in the Bronze Age, at least 1000 years after Ötzi's death.

I don't think that Ötzi's Y-DNA has been revealed yet, but I concur that it will probably be G2a, or possibly I2a. R1b is possible (although very unlikely), but only the archaic Middle Eastern version, not the common European R1b1b2 since it only arrived in the Bronze Age, at least 1000 years after Ötzi's death.

I2a ?..............why not I1a from the hunter gathers that migrated south from the nordic areas.

I2a ?..............why not I1a from the hunter gathers that migrated south from the nordic areas.

I think I1* is a possibility; it must have existed somewhere in Europe at the time of Ötzi. However, it is thought to have bottlenecked ca. 5000 years ago, right when Ötzi was alive, so if we find it in him, then he would likely be one of the very few during that time who carried it. So, I concur with Maciamo that I2a is much more likely, probably I2a1a in particular.

Otzi is the quy who ate lamp or goat and was probably killed in the fight for food?

mumia.jpg

Will be interesting to see the results. I think plain I2a is the most likely haplogroup for him, since I2a1 or I2a1a (new) it is believed to originate in the Pyrenees and, although it's found widespread at lower or higher frequencies depending on the region, plain I2a has more posibilities.

After 12a, some I1's are also quite possible in my opinion.

Unfortunately it looks like Ötzi's genome will not be released for about a year due to exclusive rights acquired by National Geographic for TV programmes. Time to boycott National Geographic for messing with us ! There shouldn't be any exclusivity right on someone's DNA, much less on someone who died 5000 years ago and could be anybody's ancestor. I think they could be sued for that.

I agree. That is crazy and it shouldn't be like that.

This thread has been viewed 13612 times.

Back