Appearance of Finns versus other Scandinavians.

oreo_cookie

Banned
Reaction score
I wanted to make a thread focused on the similarities, and differences, between the appearances of Finns compared to Swedes, Danes, and Norwegians (and I know these three are not necessarily identical, either). I'll get some pictures in here soon but I was hoping others could contribute ideas as well. :)

Apparently Finns have more of something called the "East Baltid" type, and less "Nordid".

evryone has right to compare people, even if they are not of the same culture, not?

Apparently Finns have more of something called the "East Baltid" type, and less "Nordid".

without mention DNA studies, i'll speak here of phenotypes:
Finns of Finnland can differ from Scandinavians in the following way:
not more blond people there, but more often very light blond, on the 'ash' side of hue ('platine' 'white blond') - fewer of 'dark honey blond' -
maybe a bit fewer true light eyes as a whole, but more often on the 'grey' side: not the mixed 'grey-green' almost lighteye (mixing where it plays a role) but a milky hyper light blue with a darker blue external ring , all that in a bigger iris than true 'nordic' people - say: when light, lighter than typical Scandinavian for hair and eyes (coupled) -
red hair people are seldom enough, upon all in the more typical zones of Finnish Carelia - Finnland = or < 1% # Norway 1,8% (but some districts to 4%),Sweden 3,3% (ranging from 2% near Finnland) to 5% (South Central), Denmark 2,2% but some district too at 4%) - freckling seldom enough, more scarce in Scandinavia -
the hair is straighter as a whole, rough sometimes, not so often slightly wavy as in Scandinavians -
for skin, I didn't pay too much attention but I red they have also a lighter skin, an without visible blood irrigation that give the 'nordic' people this 'pinky' hue of skin: their Finns skin are very light greyish-yellow white, not so pinky -
more often mesocephalic to sub-brachycephalic indexes of head # Scandinavians more often on the dolichocephalic side / in the mixture, it appeare that even when dolichocephalic, the Finns show often a lateral cranial profile close to the Est-Baltic one (I can't say nothing personally, I red that) -
more fleshy than Scandiavians, longer in chest, shorter in legs - shorter all stature (little difference in West, bigger in Carelia)
shorter broader noses, more often concave than Scandinavians, more often half-shut broad eyelids aperture evocating asiatics but without the mongoloid slit (these eye seams elevating on the open sides) -
more stricking flaring angles of jaws, an broader as a whole, even in proportion of head and facial indexes -

all that is the tendencies that seams linked to the so called Est-Baltic types which isn't very far from the blond borreby brachycephal type of Denmark and Western Norway, but with some accretions that evocate a slight siberian influence -
it's a rough way to generalize things - Scandinavians and Finnland Finns present both a big part of common mixture, but the proportions tend to be inversed for the blond components - (they have equally somme 'brunet' minorities, not always from the same sources) -and Western Finnland is closer to Scandinavia than Carelia or Saami Finns -

less strong tendancy to boldness as Scandinavians

No. Finns aren't Scandinavians.

The only phenotype difference I can see in Finns is a slight Slavicisation. The Norwegians show more of a contrast to Swedes, then Swedes to Finns, IMO. When I visited Sweden I was surprised on how dark the people were. By dark I mean brown hair, and olive skin. Many of my friends who have Swedish ancestry tan, while my Norwegian friends burn. A lot of the Swedish women who had blonde hair was definitely colored. In Norway it was the opposite. A lot of blondes and blue eyes with very fair skin. A lot more dolichocephalic head shapes in Norway then Sweden. These are my personal observations.

The only phenotype difference I can see in Finns is a slight Slavicisation.

Nope. It's false. Finns tend to have a very distinctive look.

The Norwegians show more of a contrast to Swedes, then Swedes to Finns, IMO.

Also false. In terms of overall apparence, the Norwegians are the most close people to the Swedes.

When I visited Sweden I was surprised on how dark the people were. By dark I mean brown hair, and olive skin.

It's also false. Nothing against people with olive skin. However, it is atypical for my ethnic group by obvious biological reasons such as survive the shortage of vitamin D in the North during the autumn/winter and among others. Only 5% to 10% of fully ethnic Swedes have possibly some type of 'olive' or pseudo olive skin.

Some crowds of Swedes from the last Euro 'Ukranian' summer 2012 (not cherrypicked cretinism). As you see, olive skinned individuals are atypical for Swedes. Obviously they exist but are minorities.

r2oMg5j.jpg

_60977691_newimage.jpg

1340030632-fans-crowd-the-kiev-fan-zone-during-the-england-v-sweden-match_1278587.jpg

9twJ8ma.jpg

D3KwSvS.jpg

uG6nId2.jpg

IcB9I5E.jpg

U2SaWyU.jpg

swedish-girl-euro-2012.jpg

cqd7cIR.jpg

SOxoC80.jpg

esEu34I.jpg

aPlGFX6.jpg

WdVpSNQ.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

Many of my friends who have Swedish ancestry tan, while my Norwegian friends burn.

Loads of horseshit. Oh? And this is scientifically backed? Swedes have nothing in their skin which set them apart from other Scandinavians. :LOL:

Sweden is, unfortunately, European champion in skin cancer/melanoma. That's says it all. Currently skin cancer incidents among people (young women) under 30 years in Sweden is a national tragedy.

Stats from 2012.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/can...mortality/uk-skin-cancer-mortality-statistics
eu27_mort_mmelanoma_png.png

A lot of the Swedish women who had blonde hair was definitely colored. In Norway it was the opposite. A lot of blondes and blue eyes with very fair skin. A lot more dolichocephalic head shapes in Norway then Sweden. These are my personal observations.

You can only be a joker. Many of the time or 90% of it. Swedes and Norwegians are phenotypically indistinguishable. :LOL::confused:

???????Are you for real???

Attachments

• eu27_mort_mmelanoma.png
    eu27_mort_mmelanoma.png
    8 KB · Views: 17
They are geographically as Scandinavian as a Norwegian is.. but genetically and otherwise one could say they are not Scandinavian.
However although, even they are not being Scandinavians. They have historical Swedish influence in its western part, and Åland Islands is predominantly ethnically Swedish. Finland falls, while, into the broader geopolitical term of 'Nordic nation'.

Åland Islands (Finland). Ethnically, they are Swedes (ethno-culturally Scandinavians).
http://anthroeurope.blogspot.com.br/2010/02/aland-islands-finland.html

all that is the tendencies that seams linked to the so called Est-Baltic types which isn't very far from the blond borreby brachycephal type of Denmark and Western Norway, but with some accretions that evocate a slight siberian influence -
it's a rough way to generalize things - Scandinavians and Finnland Finns present both a big part of common mixture, but the proportions tend to be inversed for the blond components - (they have equally somme 'brunet' minorities, not always from the same sources) -and Western Finnland is closer to Scandinavia than Carelia or Saami Finns -

less strong tendancy to boldness as Scandinavians
During the Russian era, Finland had a minority of Tatar immigrants into its territory.

Finnish Tatars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Tatars

Stereotyping, but not as false. Lappland is said to be the 'native' brunnete area of Finland, and Sweden.

Overall, the incidence of light blondism is higher among Finns than in Swedes and Norwegians. However, they tend to be more ash light blond than Danes, most of whom are light brown to golden blonds on average. Swedes falls into something between Finland and Denmark.

But Finns are not Scandanavians, why would you compare the two?
Agreed. If oreo_cookie is who I think he is, he does this in any anthroforum :confused::embarassed::LOL:.

Anyways, on the OP question. While I agree a good number of Finns (mostly in Lappland and Eastern parts) certainly have a distintive "Finnish look" of whom for many outside region would put down as odds (or something like pseudo-Siberians).

The fact is that most Finns, look like 'Balts', 'Scandinavians', or other Northern Euros. In the same way, some Swedes have a typically "Swedish" look that is hard to be mistaken on. Now to claim that Finns have a quite distinct 'pseudo-Siberian' appearance differing radically of others people from Nordic and Baltic area like many posters are always doing in 'race, or anthro' forums' is dishonest and pure cretinism. Most of the time it's ignorance coming from people who haven't even been to Finland or even had some contact with Finns irl.

Finnish Handball team

6307941312_f16a33d539_o.jpg

Finnish Ice Hockey Team

slovakia_hockey_worlds-5dcdfccac60c47a08f9abdf317ef7808_sita.jpeg

The affiliation between Finns and "Eastern Baltids" is widely exaggerated, it's an internet hoax based on ancient racial "pseudo-science". They have a lot of diverse Northern looks as well.

Like Teemu Selänne

1227255019.jpg

To Koivu brothers

594063.jpg

And Jenni Vartiainen :cool-v:

572232.jpg

to the classic anthro Finnish looking lol

1.jpg

First time I saw a Fin was in New York City. Being from Southern Europe I had an admiration for Blonds. Coincidentally I had landed in a Finish bar in the City. First time I thanked God I was not blond. They had a wired look. I could not explain it. And later a saw also Hungarian blonds, Lithuanian, all wired. I am sure it could be likable people out there but their Asian admixture gives them weirdness. I am not prejudiced against these nationalities but New York gives the ability to compare and contrast. To my opinion Danish, Swedish, Dutch blonds are to a large extent likable in physical appearance point of view. Also polish or real Russian blonds are reasonably likable.

Again, I have asked myself many times about northern and southern Europeans intermarriages in USA. I have not seen many. I have seen a lot more black and white intermarriages than north and southern Euros. Both stick to their own. Do you think is cultural or appearance?

The only phenotype difference I can see in Finns is a slight Slavicisation. The Norwegians show more of a contrast to Swedes, then Swedes to Finns, IMO. When I visited Sweden I was surprised on how dark the people were. By dark I mean brown hair, and olive skin. Many of my friends who have Swedish ancestry tan, while my Norwegian friends burn. A lot of the Swedish women who had blonde hair was definitely colored. In Norway it was the opposite. A lot of blondes and blue eyes with very fair skin. A lot more dolichocephalic head shapes in Norway then Sweden. These are my personal observations.

Norway has a huge regional diversity, so it very much depends on which region in Norway you visited.

First time I saw a Fin was in New York City. Being from Southern Europe I had an admiration for Blonds. Coincidentally I had landed in a Finish bar in the City. First time I thanked God I was not blond. They had a wired look. I could not explain it. And later a saw also Hungarian blonds, Lithuanian, all wired. I am sure it could be likable people out there but their Asian admixture gives them weirdness. I am not prejudiced against these nationalities but New York gives the ability to compare and contrast. To my opinion Danish, Swedish, Dutch blonds are to a large extent likable in physical appearance point of view. Also polish or real Russian blonds are reasonably likable.
Not all Finns are blonds, it is most idiotic statement ever.

Norway has a huge regional diversity, so it very much depends on which region in Norway you visited.
It is true, but overall Swedes and Norwegians are quite similar. Many will claim that they have more 'dark types', can be, but those 'dark types' also exist between the Swedes and Danes.

I'm not going to split hairs, I think Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark produce some beautiful ladies.

Oddly enough, a few of the most attractive women I've ever seen in my life were natives of Ireland. Can't explain it, must be the water. Maybe it's the Celtic/Nordic mix that can kick out a few stunners.

Not all Finns are blonds, it is most idiotic statement ever.
I don't know what type of reading glasses you use, but whatever you do, you need to change them. They are not good. I did not state that all Fins are blond. I have never been there. I saw some of them in New York. And yes, they were blond and wired. I was trying to explain that, and I could not. New York blondes are largely Germanic and to my eye, they lacked if i can use gastronomic terminology, they lacked spices. I am allways talking about physical appearance.

This thread has been viewed 31094 times.

Back