New map of R1b-S21 (U106)

R-U106 peaks in northern Europe. Its frequency (including the R-U198 sublineage) is 36.8% in the Netherlands, 20.9% in Germany and Austria, 18.2% in Denmark, 18.2% in England, 12.6% in Switzerland, 7.5% in France, 6.1% in Ireland, 5.9% in Poland, 5.6% in north Italy 4.4% in Czech Republic and Slovakia, 3.5% in Hungary, 4.8% in Estonia, 4.3% in south Sweden, 2.5% in Spain and Portugal, 1.3% in eastern Slavs, 0.8% in south Italy, 0.6% in Balkan Slavs, 0.5% in Greeks (i.e. 2 of 193 Cretans, and no mainland Greeks), 0.4% in Turks, 0% in Middle East.

These percentages are from December 2010

I often wonder what your posts mean. You just copy and past from other websites or post links without any explanation. Did you find any inconsistencies somewhere, because I don't ?

I often wonder what your posts mean. You just copy and past from other websites or post links without any explanation. Did you find any inconsistencies somewhere, because I don't ?

sorry , it was from the u152, i thought i better redirect the answer here as the conversation was moving to u106

2 germanic influences: Frison-Anglo-Saxon-Jutes (high for Y-R1b-U106, not so for Y-I1, and West-Norwegian Vikings (high for Y-I1 not so for R1b-U106: it's clear enough in Scotland too. Maybe wa have here the differences of respective weights between A-S settlements and Vikings Settlement (there were Danes Vikings in Danelaw but I suppose they was closer to A-S)
right?

it's simple, why:
we see nowaday in some languages, the continuity of 'palatizations' of consonnants: K>TCH>CH>SH or or K>TCH>TS>S + G<DJ>ZH or G>DJ>DZ>Z an so on -
but languages 'çatem' or 'satem' that yet possess S,Z,ZH or SH (..) have no chance to change them on a back way to K or G

it's simple, why:
we see nowaday in some languages, the continuity of 'palatizations' of consonnants: K>TCH>CH>SH or or K>TCH>TS>S + G<DJ>ZH or G>DJ>DZ>Z an so on -
but languages 'çatem' or 'satem' that yet possess S,Z,ZH or SH (..) have no chance to change them on a back way to K or G

I answer me:
sorry, this post is not in the right place! excuse me!

How do you know it? Did you ever heard some folks speaking the PIE language? I don't exclude the possibility that you were there … maybe in your dreams…

it's simple, why:

the Y-DNA of 'viking' origin presents a big enough discrepancy depending of the places, that put me to think they were a litlle enough number of settlers very often (males, fewer females yet, but not everywhere according to mt DNA) - the explanations a red here are all interesting:
for french Sicily: little number (too much I1 and I2b - for Okrney-shetland; little number (too much surprising Y from Asia too low I1 -) for Lancashire: too much R1a to low I1 and so on...
as a whole I think that these Vikings had more I1 and more R1a and fewer R1b-S21/U106 than the continental Germanics - with this base, and the 'founder effect' on a too narrow basis or fpopulation we could explain a lot, not?
I believe that recent events had had weaker effect on populations than ancient ones (even id they have to be taken in account)

Since the Viking invasion of Normandy, many events could have change the distribution of Ydna such as the fact that some of them leaved Normandy in 1066 and later for England, the Hundred years war (a French historian spoke about a "Hiroshima in Normandy" during the XVth century), the plague, the edict of Nantes (Many Huguenot originated in Upper Normandy), the colonization of New France and the Allies bombing in 1944. Also, France because of its legislation lacks Ydna sample which can bias the studies.

the Y-DNA of 'viking' origin presents an irregular enough distribution depending of the places, that put me to think they were a litlle enough number of settlers very often (males, fewer females yet, but not everywhere according to mt DNA) - the explanations a red here are all interesting:
for french Sicily: little number (too much I1 and I2b - for Okrney-shetland; little number (too much surprising Y from Asia too low I1 -) for Lancashire: too much R1a to low I1 and so on...
as a whole I think that these Vikings had more I1 and more R1a and fewer R1b-S21/U106 than the continental Germanics - with this base, and the 'founder effect' on a too narrow basis or fpopulation we could explain a lot, not?
I believe that recent events had had weaker effect on populations than ancient ones (even id they have to be taken in account) -
of I1 in Brittany and Wales and ireland, I suppose the most of them came with Vikings (the remote regions of Wales present about 2 or 3% of I1, 7% is the national mean surely taking in account the >12-14% of Central Eastern Wales where I feel a germanic influence that phenotypes seam to confirm (I have not the %'s for S21/U106 there, helas... it would be interesting if we have the respective %'s of I1 and I2b (I2b could be partially Bell-Beaker or Wessex for me) in Western versus Eastern
Brittany
I should accept more easily S21 as a partially but rare celtic HG, born by some Belgii tribes -
for I2b I believe it's proto-Celtic proto-Germanic and involved in the all movements that took place during the metal ages and during the Völkerwanderung - old in Europe but not in place in Harz-Sachsen-Thuringen -founder effect of a population came from Central Europe during the Chalcolithic and linked to Bell-beakers?) - I'm surprised by the map of MACIAMO about Southern France where he placed very few I2b West of the Rhône river (because as an hypothesis a think the Rhône West of Provence could have been a boulevard for Bell beakers and after that for Urnfield People) - it's a pity we have so little DNA form France regions!

R1b L21 can be either native to Normandy or English or even Norse.

Indeed, ancient Britons might have been I1 as well. I believe that the Britons brought I1 to Brittany.

I don't feel like that, but who knows?

I don't feel like that, but who knows?

sorry but I 've make a technical mistake somwhere because my answer about irregular repartition of Viking DNA is mixed with the post of SPONGETARO.
I beg your pardon

Greetings, new member, U-106 with paternal ancestry traced to Southern Finland.

I would love to see a breakdown on L-47*. I have a heck of a time finding any substantial research on this subclad. After 4+ years of research, I've discovered that they were probably Frisian. I'm guessing my family migrated to England as Roman Foederati long before the Anglo-Saxon Invasion, but proving this is next to impossible. Common surnames in my DNA matches include Cloud, Austin, Smith, Crenshaw, Risely, & Burns. I may do an extensive study on it in the near future.

If anyone has any links they'd like to share....

My fertile streak isn't over yet. Here is a brand new map of haplogroup R1b-S21, associated with the migration of Germanic peoples, especially tribes originating around the modern Netherlands, North-West Germany, Denmark and Norway, such as the Anglo-Saxons, the Franks, the Lombards, as well as the Danish and Norwegian Vikings.

Note the hotspots around the Belgian provinces of Hainaut and Luxembourg, as well as in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, obviously of Frankish origin. Another hotspot is lower Austria, probably of Lombardic origin.

Lower frequency around the Harz mountains in Germany, due to the higher percentage of I2b.

Haplogroup-R1b-S21.gif

Here is a R1b study about Western Germany that might be helpful to finetune your maps if necessary:

three medium sized cities were sampled (Münster-NRW, Mainz-Rheinl.Pf. & Freiburg im Breisgau-B.W.)
http://www.freidok.uni-freiburg.de/volltexte/7512/

This map is nonsense all my British and Irish friends and relatives are r1b L-21. I dont believe this at all. I haven't met anyone with true British ancestry r1b u106 ever. Iceland and scandanavia are mostly r1b L-21 as well.

This map is nonsense all my British and Irish friends and relatives are r1b L-21. I dont believe this at all. I haven't met anyone with true British ancestry r1b u106 ever. Iceland and scandanavia are mostly r1b L-21 as well.

O indeed? Which are your data? samples size?

Let's say on this site is a distinct map for L21. You'll see that Britain has lots of it.

Let's say on this site is a distinct map for L21. You'll see that Britain has lots of it.

I totally agree but:
I have no time to get into details, but the few surveys I have about the Isles show clearly that the more Anglian or Dane you are (N-E, E of England), the less of Y-R1b-L21-S145 you have, and the more of Y-R1b-S21-U106 is found - Ireland have almost NO R-U106 at the contrary, and Wales very few - I do not see why so much 'sunday diaries scoops' try to complicate facts about Brittain and Ireland... I know that even in the scholars waters there are some amateurs of "bottom-on-head" (is that english???) science: the need to publish papers?!?

I agree, MOESAN, with the diverse pattern in the British isles, and I like the approximation of the distribution given in the maps.

What I don't like is that some people call this maps nonsense, based upon "some friends who are L21".
It is a difficult task by itself, making maps based on all kinds of data. It is an approximation. And if data in the future will say reality is different, well, then we improve our approximation.
We all learn from the data, so, indeed: papers should be published in a higher speed!

I have now added a new webpage to my website that lists and links all the ~600 King's and Prince's who share the "Royal Haplogroup".

I'm unable to post weblinks, so please go to my website, and click on the "Royal Haplogroup" page tab.

Thanks,
Brad (the-kings-son.com)

Hi,

Just to update this thread ..... if you have a particular interest in S21 / U106 ..... more Haplogroup testing results are being posted on my website (and associated facebook account) - if you are interested. The analysis and updates are actually coming from the U106 Co-ordinator for FTDNA.

Thanks,
Brad (the-kings-son.com)

R-U106 peaks in northern Europe. Its frequency (including the R-U198 sublineage) is 36.8% in the Netherlands, 20.9% in Germany and Austria, 18.2% in Denmark, 18.2% in England, 12.6% in Switzerland, 7.5% in France, 6.1% in Ireland, 5.9% in Poland, 5.6% in north Italy 4.4% in Czech Republic and Slovakia, 3.5% in Hungary, 4.8% in Estonia, 4.3% in south Sweden, 2.5% in Spain and Portugal, 1.3% in eastern Slavs, 0.8% in south Italy, 0.6% in Balkan Slavs, 0.5% in Greeks (i.e. 2 of 193 Cretans, and no mainland Greeks), 0.4% in Turks, 0% in Middle East.

These percentages are from December 2010

It goes up to around 26% in some parts of England and 42% in Frisia afaik.

This thread has been viewed 132576 times.

Back