How much Turks and Slavic influence the Greek genetic pool ?

I2a2 , I2b and I1 are not Slavic . Who said anything about Pre - IE R1a , carriers of Hellen languague - IE was probably significantly R1a .
So the Thracians probably had some R1a - they languague was closest to Balto-Slavic.
On Balkans - Serbia , Bosnia , Macedonia , there is 11.000 years old R1a , and Slavic is old about 3.500 years .
I think Slavic settlement on Balkans are exejurated
Turkic settlement on Balkan was also not significant , except in Thrace . Most of governors were islamized lokal nobility . Similarities betwen Greek and Turkic DNA is mostly arived from Greek settlements in Asia Minor during antiquity and Byzantium , not from Turkic settlements in Greece

I1 and I2B, arrived with the barbarian invasions? Perhaps with the migration of the Goths?

Yes, i'm sorry i translate bad the word. In fact I'm not saying that all R1a in Greece are Slavic, but it seems excessive to say that only 1,47% of it was Slavic, and the remaining 10.5% (approximate) was proto Indo-European.

The R1a in Greece is spread evenly throughout much of Greece at approximately 10%. It is in Northern Greece where we find R1a climbs to approximately 20%. The levels of Slavic R1a suggest a much later introduction of Slavic R1a in the North, this is proven by the fact that in the R1a of Greek Macedonia we only find 8.8% of the Slavic M458. This marker is only found in 4.2% of the general Greek population and has not been found in Greek R1a in Calabria that I know of.

What subclades belong to R1a in the central and southern Greece?

Me neither think it is Illyrian , but nor the Slavic , it is Sarmathian

Sarmatian groups were associated themselves with the various peoples who occupied Illyria, but not in such large quantities. Honestly this is the first time I hear talk of Sarmatians group co-dominant (because with these frequencies would be this one) in Illyria. How can 42% of the Croats to be a descendant of the Sarmatians?

Because Pliny Elder mention Sarmathian nations of Serboi and Harauata - Serbs and Croats - they are not Slavic , they just took Slavic languagues , Serbs have only 5% Slavic R1a .
Also you should remember emperor Constantine , helped Yazigi ( Sarmathians), from Banat to defeat rebeled slaves , and settled 500.000 Sarmathians to Balkans , and how many inhabitabts do Balkan had in that time ?

What subclades belong to R1a in the central and southern Greece?

The Greeks in Italy and the R1a samples from Anatolia show 0% to 1% of R1a-M458. This means that the prevalent subclades include various amounts of R1a*, R1a1* and R1a1a* but not R1a1a7. The most common subclade is R1a1a7 (M458+) and it is found predominantly in Slavic men.

R1a matches the 11% East European exceedingly well (11.5%). However, plain I2a + I1 (Paleolithic, not necesarily Nordic) can do the job too going at 13%.

Because Pliny Elder mention Sarmathian nations of Serboi and Harauata - Serbs and Croats - they are not Slavic , they just took Slavic languagues , Serbs have only 5% Slavic R1a .
Also you should remember emperor Constantine , helped Yazigi ( Sarmathians), from Banat to defeat rebeled slaves , and settled 500.000 Sarmathians to Balkans , and how many inhabitabts do Balkan had in that time ?

Honestly i I did not know this fact, however, i will inform me about it, because it intrigues me.

The question of "slavic" admixture in greece is a good one, but I think the other question should be how much greek DNA influence is in anatolia (turkey) and not the other way around. Greeks had a significant genetical impact in western anatolia then the Ottoman elite had in Greece.

Yes Elias, would be interesting to see reliable samples from Western Turkey. It's possible some of them cluster with Greeks.

I would guess the genetical impact of greeks in western anatolia would be similar in degree to that of southern Italy, maybe someone like dorianfinder can shed some light on this?

The question of "slavic" admixture in greece is a good one, but I think the other question should be how much greek DNA influence is in anatolia (turkey) and not the other way around. Greeks had a significant genetical impact in western anatolia then the Ottoman elite had in Greece.

Absolutely. As I phrased the question earlier: how much Anatolian Y-DNA is there in the modern Greeks. But conversely, you must also ask the question of how much ancient Greek Y-DNA is in modern-day Turks.

There is definetly lot of Hellenic DNA in west Asia Minor , maybe even more than in South Italy , because Acheans started to colonise that aeria in XII century , and Italy was colonised since VII century . And Asia Minor was in Byzantium and Italy was mostly not .

I would guess the genetical impact of greeks in western anatolia would be similar in degree to that of southern Italy, maybe someone like dorianfinder can shed some light on this?

Dienekes uses the populations surrounding Turkey, namely the Greeks, the Georgians, the Armenians and the Syrians as a proportionate indication of what the old Anatolian admixture would have looked like prior to the arrival of the Turkic tribes.

Below are average admixture proportions visa vie the Dodecad Ancestry Project indicating a very definite cline with the Greek sample positioned firmly at the top of the plot with the highest proportion of West-Eurasian at 99.4%. The fact that the West-Eurasian proportion within the Turkish sample from Anatolia clusters with the Greek sample is proof enough that there is a 90% Greek (and Georgian, Russian, Armenian & Syrian) admixture within Anatolian Turks. We can infer that this West-Eurasian proportion is representative of Greek and other non-Turkic admixture within Turks.

Conversely, Turkish East-Eurasian admixture can be determined by analyzing the East-Eurasian proportion in Greeks. If we consider that it is found in 8% of the Turkish sample and 0.3% of the Greek sample, we can calculate Turkish admixture within the Greek sample as an approximate est. of 3.75%.

If we reverse the tables and estimate possible non-Turkic admixture within the Turkish sample we get an approximate est. of 91%.

rawnumbers.png

Below we can see how the Greek sample is dominant in West-Eurasian (Dark blue) in the middle with the closest samples to it being the Georgian, Russian, Polish and Armenian samples. In case you were wondering what sample is on the right with all that West-Eurasian, it is the Syrian sample. The Turkish sample is on the far left.

_3.png

Last edited:
Have you informed yourself , and am I wright or am I wright ? ( joke :) )

I hope you're right, I like the Sarmatians, and i like the idea that i have their near my country :)
Where can I find some text published about it, may be public in more languages and may be in Italian?

It is realy rearly mentioned in Serbian-Croatian-Bosnian- Montenegro-Macedonian literature that there is posibility we are Sarmathians. It was very important to Serbian ortodox church to conect us with Slavs - orthodox Russians , and even now it is very important for nationalists of Serbs , Croats and Bosniacs , because religion is only diference betwen those nations . I think former Croatian president Franyo Tudyman( he was doctor of historic science) published some works about Croatian Sarmathian-Iranic origins , but I dont know is that translated . You can try to find historian Mauro Orbin from XVI century he was from Dalmatia and wrote in Italian . About settling of Sarmathians by Constantine , you can find it in every book about him or Byzantium .

This thread has been viewed 91962 times.

Back