Is haplogroups I linked to the highest body height ?

Templar

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Paleolithic European
Y-DNA haplogroup
G-L42
mtDNA haplogroup
H2a1
It is interesting how the countries with the highest frequency of Haplogroup I (balkans and Scandinavia/Northern Europe), also have the tallest people in the world.

You can confirm this by looking up "human height around the world" on wikipedia and by googling the the frequency of Haplogroup I on google maps.

Any thoughts about this Maciamo?

It is interesting how the countries with the highest frequency of Haplogroup I (balkans and Scandinavia/Northern Europe), also have the tallest people in the world.

You can confirm this by looking up "human height around the world" on wikipedia and by googling the the frequency of Haplogroup I on google maps.

Any thoughts about this Maciamo?
It's not true. The highest frequency of I is found in Sardinian and Bosnia.

Also Scandinavia though at a lesser degree. Google Haplogroup I on google images.

There is some kind of correlation between height and haplogroup I. The tallest people in Europe are mostly Germanic (+ Finland and Baltic), who have the highest frequency of haplogroup I1 and I2b, and according to Wikipedia also the Dinaric Alps (I2a2 peak), although there is no data for other I2a2 hotspots like Moldova and Romania. The one exception seems to be I2a1, as Spaniards, Southwest French and Sardinians are less tall than the European average, especially Sardinians, who lack haplogroup R1a. So the question is whether the tallest people were originally R1a or IxI2a1, or both. After all, the Wikipedia ranking shows that the Lithuanians, Poles, Czechs and Slovaks are quite tall as well. It's interesting that all the ancient DNA from Paleolithic and Mesolithic North and Northeast Europe was always U4 or U5 (+ one U2 in Russia) in regions that were probably already I and R1a on the paternal side. In contrast, Southwest Europe (I2a1 region) already had a lot of other haplogroups (H, V, N1, N5) during the Mesolithic. So maximum body height seems to correlate with Paleolithic/Mesolithic North and East European ancestry.

Hmm, well regarding Romania or Moldova, there is a theory that most Haplogroup I2a2 carriers there are actually descendants of migrants who came from the mountainous regions of the western balkans. During this hypothetical migration, the slavs in the balkans had only taken all the low-lying areas and population centers, but not the isolated mountain villages yet. Most of these mountain-folk were pastoral Latin-speaking Vlachs. They might have been threatened by the fall of the major cities to the Slavs, and so they logically concluded that they would be next and therefore decided to migrate. Modern-day Romania would have been a good place for resettlement since it had plenty of mountains in its heartland (for herding) and it was relatively empty after the Barbarian (Germanic) invasions and the fall of Roman-rule. Another clue is the fact that a considerable number of Romanians have surnames which are connected to a pastoral lifestyle. Romania is also quite known for its pastoralist population and traditions relating to them. I first heard of this theory in the book "Bosnia: A Short History" (by Noel Malcom), but I've heard it echoed in several other sources as well. What are your views on this?

I don't know if it's related to hg I or not but my paternal grandpa and his father were around 2 meters tall. I am just 1.80 because of maternal lines I guess, but among my second and third cousins there are many 1.90+ people.

I don't know about Northern Europe,

I know that in Balkans the tallest are the Montenegrins and some places in Romania

in Greece the tallest are in Makedonia and Thessaly and Acarnania-Aetolia (Agrinio) which is rich in I

comparing some other characteristics,

HG I people have tall neck, usually light skin and black hair, long feet and hands and their face is long
while R1a mostly have rounded face.

Quite funny.

Since the original carriers of Haplogroup I were the original Europeans (Cro-Magnon), it makes sense that they were/are the tallest, strongest (have above average muscle matter), had very wide shoulders, and high bone density. They had to compete with and fight neanderthals, and survive in the inhospitable tundra of Southern Europe during the ice-age (Northern Europe was completely covered in glaciers at the time). Carriers of hp J never went farther North, and stayed in the near/middle east, and therefore never developed physically to the same degree (they are usually considered gracile and small). Yet, J carriers had several strong similarities with I carriers: dark hair, olive skin (though I carriers were probably slightly lighter), brown eyes, and straight hair (though not as straight as East Asian hair).

Since the original carriers of Haplogroup I were the original Europeans (Cro-Magnon), it makes sense that they were/are the tallest, strongest (have above average muscle matter), had very wide shoulders, and high bone density. They had to compete with and fight neanderthals, and survive in the inhospitable tundra of Southern Europe during the ice-age (Northern Europe was completely covered in glaciers at the time). Carriers of hp J never went farther North, and stayed in the near/middle east, and therefore never developed physically to the same degree (they are usually considered gracile and small). Yet, J carriers had several strong similarities with I carriers: dark hair, olive skin (though I carriers were probably slightly lighter), brown eyes, and straight hair (though not as straight as East Asian hair).

Considering common descend from IJ, it's quite possible:)

There is some kind of correlation between height and haplogroup I. The tallest people in Europe are mostly Germanic (+ Finland and Baltic), who have the highest frequency of haplogroup I1 and I2b, and according to Wikipedia also the Dinaric Alps (I2a2 peak), although there is no data for other I2a2 hotspots like Moldova and Romania. The one exception seems to be I2a1, as Spaniards, Southwest French and Sardinians are less tall than the European average, especially Sardinians, who lack haplogroup R1a.

According to the data collected by that same site, the most common height among European males seems to be in the 5 ft 9 in to 5 ft 10 in range, which is the average male height in Spain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

Spain both has a lot of paleolithic blood but also a considerable number of genes that resulted from the near-eastern farmers. Both people are dark, but paleolithic people were tall and muscular, while the neolithic farmers were short and gracile. I think that the vast majority of dark traits in Spain are the result of the paleolithic roots and therefore most Spaniards aren't short. Any short Spaniards probably have near-eastern admixture from either the neolithic farmers or the relatively recent Moor migrations (though both didn't have a too significant impact on Spain's genepool, especially not the later).

Spain is mainly Southwestern (First) and Northwestern (second). That means is predominantly I2a clades and typical Western European R1b. Autosomally speaking, of course.

What can be interpreted as Near Eastern is the Southeastern genetic, as well as the Caucasian. Very low in Spain as you can see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Gd1UEFIbzVlUEtpbTd0S0RLcnVYTEE&hl=en_US#gid=0

You can also check the autosomal maps listed here in Eupedia, where the lowest percents of West Asian and Southwest Asian admixture are listed in Iberia. Don't know much about who is tall or short, but the explanation doesn't match. That's all.

Exactly, Spain is mostly R1b and various form of hp I. And this does have an impact on the height of Spaniards. 85% of height is determined by genetics. This is why most Spaniards are tall compared to most people in the world. Though they aren't as tall as Scandinavians and Yugoslavian people, who have higher hp I autosomal dna and therefore are tallest.

Where is your evidence MM?

Sorry couldn't resist either!

Ok, I'm a male nurse, and I've (unvoluntarily) seen enough penises in my life. North Europeans are on average taller than South Europeans, but their penises are basically the same size, which makes them appear smaller, plus in relation to body size they ARE smaller then! I've also seen a lot of Africans, and many Africans are Haplogroup E, or not?

Not all South Europeans are E, its not that simple. And African E variations are way different from near eastern/European ones. Genetics can't just be divided into North and South, each region is unique. The west Balkans and Greece are both in Southern Europe, yet have very different autosomal DNA, because far more neolithic farmers from the near-east settled in Greece than in the west Balkans.

Not all South Europeans are E, its not that simple. And African E variations are way different from near eastern/European ones. Genetics can't just be divided into North and South, each region is unique. The west Balkans and Greece are both in Southern Europe, yet have very different autosomal DNA, because far more neolithic farmers from the near-east settled in Greece than in the west Balkans.

Exactly!
And not all North Europeans are HG I! In the same way it is too simple to assume haplogroups are linked to body height! You're just contradicting yourself now!

I said "Scandinavians" not North Europeans. Scandinavia is a very specific region. You just trying to find flaws when there are none. You are probably a PC-obsessed ultra liberal.

This thread has been viewed 20520 times.

Back