The Albanian language

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know whats the root of this 3 words 'Hyjni/Zot/Perëndi' all meaning 'God/Divinity'

Note: 'zot' was originally called a 'land lord' by his servants but now is used for 'god' and smt the original meaning.

interesting case

Hyjni the only simmilar word
I can find is the Homeric χοες the later divine bird choenic (phoenix-χοινιξ)
χοες comes from the virb χεω
χοες was a treat to the dead, a sacrifice of incense and many other, the holy plate was named χοανη,
compare the difference in Homeric and Archaic Greek virb χεω and χυνω, after christianity both mean poor a liquid,
but in ancient it was χεω = Ι sacrifice to dead (my half wine pot) and χυνω i poor (spoil my wine)
another connection is the brittish Holy (holy-mother etc)
an IE root is possible

Zot is difficult, since the original meaning is God as Dio the almighty in Albanian as I know, and not Dio the savour
the only possible with Greek is Σωτ-ηρ savour-God a salvation God,
The god that heals and cures in new testament is written as Σωτηρ
the names of God are Creator Savor all-mighty Father etc πανταχου παρων, παντα πληρων, Πατερα, ΠΑντοκρατωρα, Σωτηρα
a possible connection with save ? do not know more

Perendi
well di is the ultimate word for God,
compare
Di-meter Demeter
afro-di-te adroditi
Zeus Di-as
Di+nyx = Dionyssos
etc
so only the word DI means God
search the Peren

interesting case

Hyjni the only simmilar word
I can find is the Homeric χοες the later divine bird choenic (phoenix-χοινιξ)
χοες comes from the virb χεω
χοες was a treat to the dead, a sacrifice of incense and many other, the holy plate was named χοανη,
compare the difference in Homeric and Archaic Greek virb χεω and χυνω, after christianity both mean poor a liquid,
but in ancient it was χεω = Ι sacrifice to dead (my half wine pot) and χυνω i poor (spoil my wine)
another connection is the brittish Holy (holy-mother etc)
an IE root is possible

No offense but i have no idea what you've written in greek letters. If you would be kind enough to put an latin alphabet letters equivalent i would appreciate it.

Zot is difficult, since the original meaning is God as Dio the almighty in Albanian as I know, and not Dio the savour
the only possible with Greek is Σωτ-ηρ savour-God a salvation God,
The god that heals and cures in new testament is written as Σωτηρ
the names of God are Creator Savor all-mighty Father etc πανταχου παρων, παντα πληρων, Πατερα, ΠΑντοκρατωρα, Σωτηρα
a possible connection with save ? do not know more

Again greek letters all messy. And savour you mean savior?

Perendi
well di is the ultimate word for God,
compare
Di-meter Demeter
afro-di-te adroditi
Zeus Di-as
Di+nyx = Dionyssos
etc
so only the word DI means God
search the Peren

1) 'Pe' means 'saw' in albanian and 'ren' is one of the Illyrian words known today and is 're' in modern albanian aka 'cloud' in both illyrian and albanian. So 'Perëndi' might be a conjunction of words and mean smth like 'see the god in/on/among the clouds' or smth like that? Though this is just a crazy theory i came up right now and i think that 'Perëndi' is a simple word.

2) The word for 'dawn' in albanian is 'Perëndim' (n) and 'Perëndoj' (v). Pretty similar as words to 'Perëndi' though don't know if once were the same words or have developed from different words and ended up the same. A linguistic is needed for this kind of things.

No offense but i have no idea what you've written in greek letters. If you would be kind enough to put an latin alphabet letters equivalent i would appreciate it.

Again greek letters all messy. And savour you mean savior?

1) 'Pe' means 'saw' in albanian and 'ren' is one of the Illyrian words known today and is 're' in modern albanian aka 'cloud' in both illyrian and albanian. So 'Perëndi' might be a conjunction of words and mean smth like 'see the god in/on/among the clouds' or smth like that? Though this is just a crazy theory i came up right now and i think that 'Perëndi' is a simple word.

2) The word for 'dawn' in albanian is 'Perëndim' (n) and 'Perëndoj' (v). Pretty similar as words to 'Perëndi' though don't know if once were the same words or have developed from different words and ended up the same. A linguistic is needed for this kind of things.

sorry but I thought that you knew Greek letters from maths or as a linguist,

ok
1) Hyjni
a) we see british Holy
b) we find in Homer the Choes or Hoes, a religious instrument named choan-e or Hoan-e
we find 2 virbs the Che-o and Chun-o (He-o Hun-o).
now both ch and H must sound as greek χ or as English H (Holy Harm etc)
so
virb noun instrument
He-o Hoes(plural) Hoan-e
Huno(Hino) Husis(Hisis) ------

Hoes were done to Honor Chthonic deities (χθονιος->Hthonic)
while Spondae to Honor upper world deities,

2 Zot
a.) might be connected with Greek Sot-ir Sot-er
Savior God
b.) a possible common IE root or a loan,
compare Germanic Gott and Albanian Zot, maybe a common root of PIE or a loan from one to another, simply satem and Centum, Zot is satem and Gott is Centum

3 Perendi

a.) might be God in the Sky (ren)

b.) might be from Perun
Slavic Deity Perun, Germanic Thor, Baltic Perkunas Greek titan Hyperion

I find more possible that the Peren is like the above another name of the same deity in Albanian from PIE deities,
an old Deity that survived cause in christian times took the -di and become Perendi (the supreme deity)
I do not know if it works in Albanian as alternate word for Allah

Last edited:
sorry but I thought that you knew Greek letters from maths or as a linguist,

I've stated that i'm no linguistic or have any academical knowledge on that field + the only greek letter i can distinguish from physic is theta, that O with a line in the middle...all the others used in physic i don't remember them...

3 Perendi

a.) might be God in the Sky (ren)

b.) might be from Perun
Slavic Deity Perun, Germanic Thor, Baltic Perkunas Greek titan Hyperion

I find more possible that the Peren is like the above another name of the same deity in Albanian from PIE deities,
an old Deity that survived cause in christian times took the -di and become Perendi (the supreme deity)
I do not know if it works in Albanian as alternate word for Allah

a.) Not possible cause Illyrian faith was pagan. They believed in the nature and gods didn't have an face. The gods were a tree, a river things like that. Then they became politeist (greek and then roman goods). So maybe the 'Clouds' were seen as gods...who knows

b.)No idea but i doubt it since Illyrians were pagan.

And no, albanian has no other words for 'Allah'. 'Allah' is 'Allah' and most of the people think that 'Allah' is the name of the prophet like 'Jesus'.

Also this 'di' as supreme god is interesting.

In albanian just 'di' means 'know' and 'dije' is 'knowledge'. Also the word for 'sun' is 'diell' and for 'day' is 'ditë'. All having the 'di' in them.

I've stated that i'm no linguistic or have any academical knowledge on that field + the only greek letter i can distinguish from physic is theta, that O with a line in the middle...all the others used in physic i don't remember them...

a.) Not possible cause Illyrian faith was pagan. They believed in the nature and gods didn't have an face. The gods were a tree, a river things like that. Then they became politeist (greek and then roman goods). So maybe the 'Clouds' were seen as gods...who knows

And no, albanian has no other words for 'Allah'. 'Allah' is 'Allah' and most of the people think that 'Allah' is the name of the prophet like 'Jesus'.

In albanian just 'di' means 'know' and 'dije' is 'knowledge'. Also the word for 'sun' is 'diell' and for 'day' is 'ditë'. All having the 'di' in them.

What's with all these references to Illyria, did you not read Teranis posts? or do you read selectively?

"1) The Illyrian Hypothesis
The Illyrians were an Indo-European people who lived in the northwestern part of the Balkan peninsula, including the northern areas of modern-day Albania. Very little is known about the Illyrian language itself (exclusively onomastic), but it has been suggested as the ancestor of the Albanian language. Wether Illyrian is suitable as an ancestor stands and falls mainly with the question if Illyrian was a Centum language or a Satem language (Albanian being part of the latter). What is an additional problem with Illyrian is the fact that the Albanian language has been noted for it's scarcity of native naval and maritime terms (instead we find borrowings, such as 'tokë' (shore), which is derived from Slavic 'tok' (to flow)). As a result, the Proto-Albanians are generally assumed to have dwelled somewhere in inland, away from the sea. In contrast, the Illyrians are well-known to have possessed a highly sophisticated naval culture and were feared by both the Greeks and the Romans as pirates in the Adriatic sea. As such, the Illyrians lend themselves poorly as the ancestors to the Albanians."

I understand the want to know where albanians came from, but please leave your nationalism at the door.

sory allah is the arabian semitic name of God, if god was Jew will be El like el El elion,
if god was Slavic will be Perun, if Greek will be Theos Dias,

if I translate Quran to another language I must use the other language words,
So it is another Mohamet and Jesus, and another Allah and Dio and Theos and GoD

Allah is God is Dio is Theos is BOG is whatever a nation wants to call him,
except if translation of quran to another language is prohibited

1) Just so that we are clear 'tokë' means 'land'. 'shore' is 'bregdet' or just 'breg' See post for 'breg' and 'det'. So i can't imagine how 'tokë' meaning 'land' or 'earth' could be borrowed from slavic 'tok' meaning 'to flow'. How can 'land' and 'earth' be connected to the complete opposite 'to flow'. Also what about the albanian word 'tok'? Meaning 'together'. Whats her root? Slavic 'tok' again since 'to flow' and 'together' are pretty similar words (sarcasm here).
2) PLS tell me where i said that Illyrian are Albanians?

Thanks and leave your ignorance home.

sory allah is the arabian semitic name of God, if god was Jew will be El like el El elion,
if god was Slavic will be Perun, if Greek will be Theos Dias,

if I translate Quran to another language I must use the other language words,
So it is another Mohamet and Jesus, and another Allah and Dio and Theos and GoD

Allah is God is Dio is Theos is BOG is whatever a nation wants to call him,
except if translation of quran to another language is prohibited

Nope Allah is said Allah since most people don't know that 'Allah' in Arabic (i think) means 'God'. But if you were to call 'Allah' as 'God' you'd probably use those 3 words 'Hyjni/Zot/Perëndi'

Albanian word Zot (God) or Zoti (the God) cognates with Albanian Sot (today), Soti ("the day on", "the today").
The Greek name Sotir (Soter) comes from Albanian and means "modern", "of today".
Perendi is a compound word. Peri (or perri) in Albanian mithology embodies a very beautiful girl. Its regular form is Peri-di (God of beautiness). It cognates with English pretty.

Nope Allah is said Allah since most people don't know that 'Allah' in Arabic (i think) means 'God'. But if you were to call 'Allah' as 'God' you'd probably use those 3 words 'Hyjni/Zot/Perëndi'

I agree, Allah means God in Arabic, and is not a name, while Mohamet is a name and can not to be translated,

Albanian word Zot (God) or Zoti (the God) cognates with Albanian Sot (today), Soti ("the day on", "the today").
The Greek name Sotir (Soter) comes from Albanian and means "modern", "of today".
Perendi is a compound word. Peri (or perri) in Albanian mithology embodies a very beautiful girl. Its regular form is Peri-di (God of beautiness). It cognates with English pretty.

:confused: :petrified:

Σωτηρ (soter) means savior and not modern, :useless:

a connection with Zot might be as Savior God,

another connection is the Germanic Gott that in satem might be Zot,

Ι wonder in what Lexicon you find that @The Greek name Sotir (Soter) comes from Albanian and means "modern", "of today".@

σωτηρ = shpetimit shpetuar
Σωτηρ = Shpetimit God (savior God)

or Zot and Gott might be same word but took different aspirations

also that
@Its regular form is Peri-di (God of beautiness). It cognates with English pretty.@
or maybe supreme god is a pretty girl?

instead it sounds more logic that Peren is alternate of Perun, Perkunas and Hyperion,
since I have the root Per in 4 IE languages meaning the same, why to connect it with pretty? :unsure:

except if you mention the Pierides mouses Πιεριδες μουσες
the ones that Pausanias and Nikandros mention the Pierian Nymphs

@ Yetos. You're right, Sotir (Soter) means Savior (savior God). The connection of "Zoti" and "Soti" is based in similar connection like "Dio" or "Dei" and "Day" etc. As for "Perendi" and "Pretty" (which are cognates), it's the thought of e German linguist (I do not remember his name now, but there is a video posted in the thread "Etruscan, Illyrian, Pellasgy ..." where it can be found too).

Regarding "Zot(i)", if it's a native Albanian word, it would go back to an earlier *gw- or *gwh-, which makes it pretty much impossible to be a cognate with Greek "Soter".

Also, I don't see how "pretty" be a cognate of "Perendi". 'Pretty', and it's cognates in other Germanic languages, must come from an earlier *brad (or perhaps *brod). In turn, a cognate of *per- would be *fer- in Germanic (Grimm's Law).

Regarding "Zot(i)", if it's a native Albanian word, it would go back to an earlier *gw- or *gwh-, which makes it pretty much impossible to be a cognate with Greek "Soter".

Also, I don't see how "pretty" be a cognate of "Perendi". 'Pretty', and it's cognates in other Germanic languages, must come from an earlier *brad (or perhaps *brod). In turn, a cognate of *per- would be *fer- in Germanic (Grimm's Law).

'Pretty' he says might be cognate to 'Perri' or 'Peri'. This is an old word that i've heard like 2-3 times in total and have no idea what the correct form is. With 'r' or 'rr'.

Also Taranis this words: 'ditë', 'di' or 'dije' and 'diell' what's their root? Are they loan words?

so Zot cognates with Germanic Gott ??

and peren cognates with Fairies ? and not with Perun perwunas and Hyperion?

Also Taranis this words: 'ditë', 'di' or 'dije' and 'diell' what's their root? Are they loan words?

sorry, I didn't get to this earlier.

djell ("sun") and ditë ("day") are derived from PIE *dei- (to shine, glitter, day).

With "di" ("to know, to consider"), and "dije" ("knowledge"), I'm uncertain. They might have the same root.

sorry, I didn't get to this earlier.

djell ("sun") and ditë ("day") are derived from PIE *dei- (to shine, glitter, day).

With "di" ("to know, to consider"), and "dije" ("knowledge"), I'm uncertain. They might have the same root.

I've always thought that 'dije' is 'di' with an suffix.

Anyway what about the word 'Sot' aka 'Today'?

Also the word 'diell' might be connected with the word 'djalë' aka 'boy/son'? Like the english 'sun' and 'son' and German (not sure in german since i know it very little) 'sonne' and 'sohn' ??

Ps: 'sun' is 'diell' with /I/ not /J/ :p

I've always thought that 'dije' is 'di' with an suffix.

Anyway what about the word 'Sot' aka 'Today'?

Also the word 'diell' might be connected with the word 'djalë' aka 'boy/son'? Like the english 'sun' and 'son' and German (not sure in german since i know it very little) 'sonne' and 'sohn' ??

Ps: 'sun' is 'diell' with /I/ not /J/ :p

Any idea anyone about these??

Hyll - is old albanian for Yll - Star
Hyj - is plural for old albanian Hyll
Hyjni - are those who are risen to the stars, those who have earned their stars

Zot - masculine
Zoj(ë) - femininine
Both nowdays have the meaning of the masters (of the house, of ther art, for e.g.) but at the same time Zot is Master of the universe, but not necesseraly the only one.

Continuing with Zot:
Zog - is bird
Zo(g)jt - is plural
So, the link with the bird can be found in this word. Thot was depicted with the bird head, the one who brought the knowledge (DI - DIJE in Albanian) and writting. In Albanian the "DI" (to know) appears in all the words that have to do with the enlightment, knowledge and light.

Perëndi - is a feminine form of divinety, and it could very well mean the beauty (e Bukura e Dheut for e.g.). Since the Sun sets and the beauty sets (dies) we can have a link of why we (Albanians) use the 'perëndimi i Diellit' (Perenimi i Dillit, in Geg). Perëndi is also used in plural as Perënditë, which gives an impression that they could be several of them and they are not fully immortal because they 'set'.

Hope I have contributed a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 295949 times.

Back