Germanic words of non ie origin

Silver in Kurdish is "ziv".

That's also similar to the Northeast European and Basque term. As other Iranian languages use the PIE word, I would guess that Kurdish salvaged an indigenous word to West Asia. I also found out that the Akkadian word for silver was sarpu, related to sarapu "to refine, smelt", which is really close to the Slavic words (e.g. serebo in Russian). The Neolithic origin of silver is thus further reinforced.

That's also similar to the Northeast European and Basque term. As other Iranian languages use the PIE word, I would guess that Kurdish salvaged an indigenous word to West Asia. I also found out that the Akkadian word for silver was sarpu, related to sarapu "to refine, smelt", which is really close to the Slavic words (e.g. serebo in Russian). The Neolithic origin of silver is thus further reinforced.

I'm not sure regarding the Kurdish word, but regarding Akkadian, the language also possessed another word for silver, "kaspu". A cognate of this word can be found in other Semitic languages, notably Aramic and Hebrew (though not Arabic), where it's "כסף" ("kessef"). While we are at it, the Albanian word for silver, 'argjend' must be a loan from Latin. Since the PIE root word is *arg´- and not *arg-, the expected native Albanian word would be something akin to *arð- (which would be written as "ardh-").

Ok, but like Taranis above me I'm not sure about the origin of Kurdish 'ziv'.

Btw silver in Russian is 'serebRo' (with 'r').

I was wondering about the word guard guardian etc

comparing with Greek PIE not Hellenic it might cognate with word Surd = quardians
Sardeis etc, Slavic Kara etc

comparing with Scand/an mythology we find the word Asgaard,
Asgaard might cognate with Turkic Asker (army)

I choose the post because it might be not IE word, the guardian

I was wondering about the word guard guardian etc

comparing with Greek PIE not Hellenic it might cognate with word Surd = quardians
Sardeis etc, Slavic Kara etc

I'm not sure but, I'm pretty certain that "guard" and "surd" have different etymologies. I'll get back to this.

comparing with Scand/an mythology we find the word Asgaard,
Asgaard might cognate with Turkic Asker (army)

I choose the post because it might be not IE word, the guardian

The word "asgard" is firmly Indo-European. It is a compound of "As-" (as in "Aesir", the gods, compare with the Hindu "Asuras") and "-g(h)ard(h)" ("enclosure" as in English "garden", Russian "город" "gorod", meaning "city", and Hindi "घर" "ghara", meaning "house").

English "guard" is from french "garde" from Frankish *wardo-, West-Germanic *wardo-, from PIE *wer- "to guard, look out for" (see Latin "vereri" - to be worried", Greek "horaoo" - to look).
English "guardian" is from french "gardien" from Frankisch *warding-, "the guarding one" also from *wardo- etc.
Please search better for a word before posting, for example in the Online Etymology Dictionary (English), or etymologiebank (Dutch).

This thread has been viewed 44560 times.

Back